iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sharpenin' Contraption

Started by chet, March 12, 2005, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Bought a used woodmizer sharpener and setter Friday from Plowboy.  :)  I spent all last night and most of today, watchin' da video, readin' da manuals, adjustin', tinkerin' and generally just tryin' ta figure da DanG contraption  out.
Well after all dat educatin' , I just had ta try er. So I dug out a dull blade and put er to da test. Well I got er ta lookin' purty fair, so I stuck it on da setter and got da teeth ta point every which way.  ;D
Had ta see if she'd cut, so off ta da mill we go. Well I be DanGed, not only did it cut , but it cut really good.  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  Now if I only knew what I did, so I could duplicate da results.   :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kirk_Allen

Try setting first then sharpening.  I think WM says otherwise but I have found setting first to be a time saver becuase I dont have to de-bur the teeth.  I think there was some stuff in the old Knowledge base.  https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1009941819-12719.txt

Another great option is the sharpening stone that Coleman Sawmill Supply sells.  They are out of Indianapolis and advertise in Woodlot.  It is a blue Ceramic type wheel. Gets the blades MUCH sharper than the WM stone.

I love my sharpener and now find that I am getting at least 6-8 sharpenings when doing it myself where as before I was only getting 4-5 using the resharp service.  Not sure why they reject blades so soon but I am getting lots of life out of them now.

chet

Kirk,
Thanks for the hint on the stone. I was looking at a ceramic stone that Cook's Saw has also. Do they seem to last pretty well?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

LeeB

I'll have to second the question about the ceramic stones. How are they as for price? Are they hard to shape and what do you shape them with? Lot's of questions. I seem to go through the woodmiser stones pretty fast. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Gipper

Chet,

I've been using the ceramic (blue) stone from Cooks for a long time now, and have had good service from them!  They last much better than the regular stones I started with and not much more expensive.  I think the last ones I purchased were about $16.00 each.  They are relatively easy to shape and hold it well.  I also use the Cat Claw sharpener from Cooks, which is a dry grinder, so I can't speak for their performance on grinders that use water.

Gipper

Plowboy

Glad to hear that the sharpener is working out for you.   :) :)

Swede

Have never seen a blue ceramic stone! ::) Have used a red, delivered by my brothers Oregon sharper. Have to dress it after 1 or 2 blades.
Tryed a white ceramic stone a week ago wich looks to last much longer. Dressed it once with a special stone for dressing and then sharped 9 blades!

As I asked the other day, does anyone have any experience from metal disc for saw chains? It looked working good but the blades seems to get dull much faster. ::)
Did I make anything wrong or does it depend of the metal disc?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

dewwood

Chet,

Glad to hear you got your sharpener!  I hope it allows you to get your sharpening done when and how you want it.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Quebecnewf

Do you know if those stones will fit on a Dino Sharpner???????

Thank You Sponsors!