iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill modification

Started by DPatton, January 10, 2021, 09:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

Last year I was having issues with my sawmills traveling energy chain sagging. It was flexing to the point that it was hitting the energy chain below knocking out the little cross bars and breaking off the little ears that those crossbars snap onto. Below is a pick of how it looked before I worked on solving the problem. 

Obviously I had some issues with damaged or overstressed sections in my energy chain. So I purchased a three foot section of new chain from TimberKing and took to replacing all of my damaged, overstressed, and broken pieces and parts. I then decided that it would be beneficial if the chain had more support in the area ahead of the fender so I welded up a couple of angle brackets and modified my daughters old "Yeti snowboard" that had been wasting away in the rafters of the shed for some years. Below is the modified snowboard mounted upside down on angle brackets that are bolted to the frame of the TimberKing (the wood handled brush is just there to hold the energy chain up for visibility). 

The final product below has been in use for six months or better and has been very helpful in supporting the energy chain when a heavy slab gets dropped on it :(. It also supports the chain and eliminated bouncing while traveling on the road. I'd say it was a pretty good use of that old snowboard too! ;D

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

DocGP

Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

Thank You Sponsors!