iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Survey of what sawmillers use for planers

Started by Kelvin, May 16, 2006, 08:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

20" Griz, 13" Dewalt and 12" Delta.  Best in that order and the Griz is a 5Hp that will be upgraded at some point to a spiral head and a bigger motor.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Cypress Man

Kelvin,

I am a full time sawer and use two differrent planers.  One is a 3 phase 36" Cresent made in 1956.  It has a 15 hp motor that turns the blades, a 3 hp for the infeed and a 3/4 hp to pick the table up and down.  It can remove 1/4" in one pass.  We primarilly use this machine to plane wide boards (from 20"-28" wide cypress) because of its size.  We had a 3hp 20" Grizzly with straight knives we used for 7 yrs and never had a problem.  We just recently sold it and bought the new 5 hp Grizzly with the spiral head.  it is unbelievably quiet and leaves a beautiful finish.  I would definately recommend this planer.  It only requires single phase 220v, dont go through the problems of hooking up 3-phase just for a planer.

LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Kelvin

thanks for the responses.  Got a 10 hp 20" old powermatic with a fairly new byrd spiral head!  Now i gotta find a phase converter unfortuneately.
KP

ducknutt

woodmaster 718..5 hp......vaccum definately needed
grizzly 15 inch planer..3 hp..vaccum helps, but not required
If God is your co-pilot, You're sitting in the wrong seat

fireman05

Kelvin,
I have 2 planers with the first being a 15" Grizzly single sided planer I use for wider stock and pre-planing when a customer brings in poorly sawn lumber which is thick/thin :)

I also have a Logosol PH260 single phase moulder.  I made the jump to this machine due to the demand for customers needing flooring, V-match t & g and moulding.  I have had no major problems with the machine and am quite happy with the performance.  I am looking to possibly add a 2nd unit for milling the hardwoods and flooring and would get the 3 phase unit due to the extra power!  I don't have 3 phase capability and needed a phase converter as well and wasn't sure I could justify the cost for the power.  I now wish I would have since the unit is a bit under powered for hardwood machining especially 6" and wider stock!

I have no problem making money with this machine and use it on a part-time basis milling customers material as well as sawing, drying, milling and selling my own material.

If your ever up North and would like a demo, let me know!
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

GregS

Thanks for the heads-up on the PH260 3 phase power difference Fireman05.  I have one on the way and wondered if I was doing the right thing.  I am excited to get this rolling.  It will be here by the end of the week.

Kelvin,  I built a rotary phase converter and have been using it for years to run a 3 phase mig-welder.  I will see how it runs the ph260 and let you know.  Building a phase converter is no big deal.  If you have a big 3 phase motor laying around.

Greg S

mur

Hi GregS and fireman05:
I have a PH260 3phase - running through an inverter.  This is the route I chose as the single phase stories all had mentions of underpowered on wider stock.  It's been awhile since my electrician set up the 260 but I know we had trouble regulating the power to the Italian motors - specifically the side heads as they were also 5 horsepower too.  My site voltage was on the extreme high end and that caused some problems as the Italian motors required a lower and more stable power supply.  End result was we put on another "box" that stabilized the power and controlled it at a specific voltage.  (Name escapes me right now)  The machine has run flawlesslly since.  We also re-breakered the machine as the breakers were inadequate due to the larger motors.  Motors had been mis-labelled as to HP was the story I got.  Feel free to contact me for any electrical info on the 260 that you might need.  I remember it as "fussy" to set up but once we got it configured, it hasn't skipped a beat.  Like fireman05, I pre-plane the wood on the back side to get rid of the thick boards.  The Logosol likes uniform blanks. 
Don't dream it, be it.

Thank You Sponsors!