iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a mill. Looking at brands.

Started by labradorguy, December 08, 2014, 12:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

When it all boils down to it, I would say decide on one that fits your needs and  your ability to maintain. Each one you have posted have a proven track record.  If I were a gambling man, I would say each and everyone of the mentioned manufacturers has had issues from the onset, but as mentioned earlier, once some of the issues have been rectified then they run like sewing machines.  The ones that have got out of the gate with no issues are the lucky ones,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

Quote from: drobertson on December 13, 2014, 02:45:38 PM
When it all boils down to it, I would say decide on one that fits your needs and  your ability to maintain. Each one you have posted have a proven track record.  If I were a gambling man, I would say each and everyone of the mentioned manufacturers has had issues from the onset, but as mentioned earlier, once some of the issues have been rectified then they run like sewing machines.  The ones that have got out of the gate with no issues are the lucky ones,
True for all three mills I have owned . Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

ladylake

My B20 had 3 of issues when I got it, junk cord reel, only 1/8" down pressure which got set to 1/4" fast and the log clamp didn't turn up good.  All of which were fixed fast and it's been a great mill ever since. I later figured out the flange on the guide wheels should be 1/4" behind which increased my blade 2 to 3 times.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Parafiddle

Curious if anyone out there has any of the sawmills the OP mentioned near St. Louis, MO?  Out here for a couple of months and would love to see one in action?  I know how to find members on the map, but don't know if there is a way to sort them by the equipment they have.  Especially interested in a Cooks AC-36.  Thanks!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

Just to clarify...

The B-20 I mentioned earlier was a great mill, once I undid everything my idiot friend did to it. He's the type of guy who will get a wrench and loosen something up, wiggle it around and tighten it back up thinking he fixed something. I swear he left no adjustment untouched. Plus it needed parts (blade guide bearings, belts, etc...) and LOTS of grease. about the last week I finally had it humming like a quartet and it was really a pleasure to run, but after that I was done as his log yard was empty. I tend to forget that last week as the first three were just one headache after another. In fact, I offered to buy it from him last year, but he won't sell it, even though it still sits where I parked it in his shop 3 years ago. ::)

Sorry TK guys.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

labradorguy

I'm blown away by all the great feedback I've got from this forum. Thanks guys.

bandmiller2

There is a short blame trail when you have built your own mill. Some folks will mess up a free lunch and should be in sales not manufacture. Any of the major mill manufacturers got there by building a decent mill and giving good service. I doubt there are any that won't help you with a problem. You reap what you sow if you call and come on like gang busters with abuse and excessive demands you will hit a stone wall. If you own a mill do your homework be observant and read the manual, still have problems call and be pleasant. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redbeard

I know what your talking about 5quarter on getting the B-20 head carriage out of whack. I couldn't find any directions in manual on how to plumb it. I thought I could just figure it out. Well after several hrs. Or days I finally called Techs and they said there was a reason why its not in manual. Its a factory setting. Even though there's nuts n bolts that look like they need fiddled with doesn't mean you can fiddle with them. Stay with mfg recommendations that are in manual. B-20 owners just so you know what Iam talking about its the four stretchers that spread top n bottom between the Teflon cushions.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Dave Shepard

redbeard, that reminds me of a mechanic friend of mine. He used to fix a lot of carbureted cars, and he said the only thing wrong with a carb was the last idiot that put a screwdriver to it. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!