iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory slabs

Started by francismilker, December 25, 2012, 11:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

francismilker

I had a 24" hickory that suffered some pretty bad damage during last week's windstorm so rather than turn it in to smoker wood I decided to try my luck at slicing it up.  I'll admit, it was pretty slow sawing, but that is some of the best looking wood I've ever sliced.  I stickered and stacked it in the barn loft and placed a couple cinder blocks on it to keep it weighted down. 

It was as close to walnut in looks and grain as any wood I've ever cut.  Anyone got any experience with hickory and can you give me a "guesstimate" of how long it will take to air dry?

If there's any value to it, I'll cut a lot more.  I've got a pretty dense stand of hickory on my place and have always thought of it as potential income from cutting and selling it as bar-b-que wood. 

If it has value of lumber I'll slice it up. 
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

drobertson

fm, if you can cut it, cut it, I would suggerst 1-1/8 thick, plane saw it for the nice boards and the character. sticker it and weight it as you have. There are always folks looking for hickory. figure around a year for air drying, give or take a little.  Q sawn is not bad just not that pretty in my opinion.  You might find some good clear logs and q saw it in slabs for someone that has the need for this, 2" and thicker would be a good number. Just keep it dry and stickered. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

francismilker

Quote from: drobertson on December 26, 2012, 12:12:56 AM
fm, if you can cut it, cut it, I would suggerst 1-1/8 thick, plane saw it for the nice boards and the character. sticker it and weight it as you have. There are always folks looking for hickory. figure around a year for air drying, give or take a little.  Q sawn is not bad just not that pretty in my opinion.  You might find some good clear logs and q saw it in slabs for someone that has the need for this, 2" and thicker would be a good number. Just keep it dry and stickered.

Thanks, I have an abundance of it.  It's about 50\50 clear versus knotty.  I'll plan on sawing the clear stuff and firewooding the knotty stuff.

I cut this tree into 5\4 slabs.  I have more time than chances and an empty hay loft so I'll cut a few thousand bdft of it and wait. 

Thanks again.

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

WDH

Powderpost beetles LOVE hickory, so it would be best if you treated the lumber Before stickering.  They can surely ruin all your hard work.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

That is a very good point, I let that one slip by,  taking the bark off and treating a good step for sure, I was going to say, the pin knots around the size of a pinky nail or so really make some nice cabinets, lots of character, I have some freinds that just put some in, very nice looking set.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

what is the best treatment for powder post beetles for wood to be air dried?  Seems I remember comment about using a liquid spray, but what is the solution content?  I probably need to mix some and keep near when stacking lumber.

drobertson

samandothers, I have heard of folks using a bora-care solution for treating logs and lumber, I have not used it, so I dont' know the effects on the lumber itself, it is a water solulable solution, it could be worth a try in small amounts.

samandothers

Thank you drobertson, I'll have to do a search and see what I can find.

YellowHammer

Good looking hickory has significant value around here, I sell it kiln dried for $2 per bdft.  Bugs love it, so spray or sterilize.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

There is a product called Timbor that is a borate salt that you mix with water at about 1 pound per gallon of warm water.  It is labeled for use as an insecticide.  There is another product that has exactly the same amount of active ingredient that is a fertilizer supplement.  It is called Solubor.  It is not labeled for insecticide use, but it is the same basic product as Timbor, just less than half the cost.  You can Google Timbor and read the label that describes how to use it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Timbor or Solubor. I'll see if I can find them and goggle some of the info.  Thank you!

Resolute

Hi Folks,

Timbor and Solubor are Not the same.

TIM-BOR     Disodium octaborate tetrahydrate, an alkaline salt, is produced in two forms. One is a clear, liquid concentrate, which can be mistaken for corn syrup if repackaged and not properly labeled or it is packaged as a white, odorless, powdered chemical substance that is not flammable, combustible, or explosive and has low acute oral and dermal toxicity. This salt, which is commonly confused with boric acid, is used as an insecticide [1] and fungicide, and is commonly sold as an insecticide in liquid or powder form. It is also effective against fungi and algae. It has an infinite shelf life and is not affected by temperature. "Bora-Care" is the liquid form suitable for use in a sprayer. The powdered brands are "Tim-Bor," "Borathor" or "Termite Prufe" as sold in the United States. This chemical is also a flame-retardant.[2] In the liquid form, it is commonly diluted and sprayed on wood surfaces to kill termites, carpenter ants, fungi and algae. This alkaline salt is not to be confused with Boric Acid (an acidic chemical) or the laundry detergent additive used for stains.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
SOLUBOR  is a concentrated soluble powder boron fertilizer. Solubor helps to correct boron deficiencies in a variety of crops including fruit trees, vegetables and berries. Boron is essential to plant nutrition. Solubor can be soil or foliar applied.
Analysis 20.5% Elemental Boron
CAUTION: Boron is extremely phytotoxic to some crops.  Do not use unless you are certain no crop injury will occur

Resolute

Ianab

Actually when you look up the MSDS of Solubor, the actual ingredient is... Na2B8O13 4H2O
or - Chemical Name/Synonyms: Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate

So I'd be guessing the active ingredient is exactly the same thing, just packaged for a different purpose.

Also info on safety, it's relatively harmless unless you eat it by the spoonful, then you end up with vomiting and diarrhea
http://www.pestell.com/msds/Solubor.pdf

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Resolute

Right you are Ianab. I stand corrected.
Resolute

WDH

The only difference between the two, Timbor and Solubor, is that the brand name "Timbor" is approved as an insecticide while Solubor is labeled as a fertilizer additive.  They are both the same concentration (20.5% boron) of Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate.  Oh, the other difference is the price.  You can buy Solubor from an AG chemical supply store for about $1.00 per pound (at least that is what it costs me).  Timbor is over $3.00 per pound. 

There is also another product called Beau-Ron D that is a fertilizer supplement with exactly the same formulation as Timbor and Solubor.

TimGA

WDH,  Will Boric Acid work as well?  Farm store was out of sol-u-bor.
                              Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

WDH

That is a good question.  Do you know the concentration of Boron?  That would be important to know.

TimGA

WDH,  Active ingredients on bag say,  Boric Acid (H3 BO3) 100%
                                              Boric Oxide (B2 O3) Equivalent 56.3%.
                           Thanks   Tim 
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

WDH

By my calculations, that would be 17.5% boron.  Someone with a chemistry mindset needs to verify.  (I mainly do wood, trees, and leaves  :)).

TimGA

WDH,   Would I be safe at 1lb to 1 gal mix rate at that concentrate, I will try to get sol-u-bor next time.    The Boric acid was 48.00 for 50lb.
                                       Thanks again Tim

WDH

That is what I would do.  However, not sure how the acid will behave.  Maybe a chemist can come along and add some perspective.

Ga Mtn Man

I'm interested in the answer to this question too.

smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce Happy Birthday Danny (WDH)! smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

francismilker

Thanks all for the awesome info on this thread!  I'd never given bug treatment a thought at all when the idea of stickering a bunch of hickory slabs out for drying. 

I took my mill to a boyscout camp this weekend for their "winter camp" and sliced a few dead logs that had been removed for wildfire purposes.  I can't really say I know the species of some of the trees I sawed but most were scrub trees not really worth sawing with expectations of production.  We stacked all the wood in a maintenance shed for drying and it will be used for future projects in woodcarving and woodworking merit badge.  Had a great time!

thecfarm

You did good sawing for the boy scouts. Did any of the scouts help?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

francismilker

Quote from: thecfarm on December 31, 2012, 08:03:53 AM
You did good sawing for the boy scouts. Did any of the scouts help?

Sadly no due to insurance and liability.  I set up a log on the mill and gathered them around to explain to them the process and then pushed them back about 40 yards to watch from afar.  I would make a few cuts, shut down, and then let them come up to see progress.  It was amazing how some of them were absolutely amazed at "this is where boards come from".  It was a good time and maybe inspired one or two.

Thank You Sponsors!