iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw came home!

Started by NCDiesel, April 08, 2013, 12:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

I picked up my sawmill from Cook's Friday.    Everyone there seemed very nice.   I got a great intro to the machine from Billy Gautney.   We sawed-up a log there on the premises and he made sure I left with a sawmill but no questions unanswered.   

Being the impatient type, I sawed 5 logs already.  I LOVE the electric up-n-down.   Here are two pics.  The first is my truck with the mill at the entrance of Cook's on my way home, and the second is my first cant waiting for the final cuts.   I finished that pile of logs in the picture and the saw performed beautifully.   I have about 12 more logs.  BTW, I have a couple other pics at my gallery.  Thanks for everyone's help and feedback!

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the new mill!  That MP-32 is heavy-duty and should handle anything you can throw at it.

To make it easier for people to find your pics, go to your forum profile and scroll down to "My Gallery" and follow the instructions for placing a photo gallery icon under your avatar.  This goes for ALL of you slackers out there! :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

NCDiesel

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 08, 2013, 12:44:47 PM
Congrats on the new mill!  That MP-32 is heavy-duty and should handle anything you can throw at it.

To make it easier for people to find your pics, go to your forum profile and scroll down to "My Gallery" and follow the instructions for placing a photo gallery icon under your avatar.  This goes for ALL of you slackers out there! :)

Done!   It was pretty painless too.

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Congratulations on the mill!  Looking forward to more photos.  Look like you had some good practice logs.  Did you load them with a ramp?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

justallan1

Congrats on the new mill, NCDiesel.
Allan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Happy for you NC, I'm sure that mill is aligned and ready to rock!  have fun!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

brb

YellowHammer

Congrats!  It sure looks nice 8)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scully

New mill day is the best feeling ever ! looks like a great mill ! It also looks like you are gonna have a blast !
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

Congrats on the new sawmill.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fat olde elf

Hey Diesel Man ! Glad you made it back to NC with your new mill.  I will try to get up your way to see the mill ASAP.  Don't forget that I have the cam to sharpen those SuperSharp bands. Have fun making boards !! PER
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

kelLOGg

Congrats, NCD.

What length mill did you get? and what engine (diesel, I presume) do you have? Post your experience. I have had mine 11 years and it still performs well.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

schakey

Think-Dream-Plan-Do

NCDiesel

Lets see if I can get those answered....

I did load the logs with ramps - I got the package that included the electric winch/ramps.   The ramps are on the ground in front of the logs in that picture.

The engine is the 27HP fuel injected gas.    It the 16' cut model(a little longer than that - could cut a 16'-6" log).  Diesel is not a published option at Cooks for this  mill - just the bigger mills.  As nice as the folks are at Cook's I am sure if I pressed the issue they would have accommodated me and found a smaller diesel to mount on the Mill.  But I chose not to start down that road.   They have a 5 week back-log as it is and a special motor request would have stretched that I am sure. 

I have no experience running a mill - I was always at the back end off-bearing.   And even that was all circular mills.  Have done a lot of it though.  I even help yearly at a steam traction engine show where they demonstrate an old wooden Frick powered by early 1900s steam traction engines.  So I watched quite a few sawyers over the decades.

So far so good!   I got the flitches loaded on the bed last night, and will cut them for stickers tonight and have a proper stack of lumber.

So far I learned five things:

They cut wavy when dull
Don't hit the squaring arm with the band  :o
Just because I off-loaded lumber all my life doesn't mean I know how to read a log and maximize board footage
The largest possible cant is always smaller than you think
Diesel and pine sawdust smell good (-:

Thanks for all the kind comments,

NCDiesel

NCDiesel

Got the last few flitches loaded up and sawed a bunch of stickers and still got a nice set of 1x4 for roof purloins out of them.    Been a good day.

PS:   Am I using the term flitches right?   I always heard them used for the boards with bark - the ones you saw off to get the cant.   The ones with a crown of bark are the slabs, but the next board or two before the cant cut I call a "flitch".  Just curious - seems as if maybe I have seen it used differently here.

Thanks again,

NCDiesel

dukndog

WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Magicman

Congrats, and you have your flitches and slabs well identified.   smiley_thumbsup

And remember that under the Extras above is a Forestry Forum Dictionary.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Good idea to cut the stickers first.  No matter how big the pile of stickers is, you'll never had too many!  You might want some 4x6 cants for the foundation of your lumber stacks, too.  Here's a drawing.

Nice looking truck, but you need a real honest-to-goodness woods truck.  Bring it on over and we'll see about swapping it for something more appropriate.  :D

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

samandothers

Mr. Diesel Congrats!  Nice looking mill.   Like the Cooks.  Fat Old Elf was the first one from the forum to reach out to me and offer to me to come cut with his Cook.  It was great of him and it was a nice mill.   

I know you are pleased!  Have fun.

dgdrls

That's a dandy set-up NC, mill and truck ;)

you gonna really enjoy learning the front end of your mill

best DGDrls

Sawdust Lover

Good choice on the mill. Have fun with it! ..Your lawn will never look the same. :D

NCDiesel

Just wanted to let everyone know that my first sawn lumber got conscripted to use yesterday.   A guy that does handy man stuff for me put up a small 12x14 shelter.  My wife and I raise alpacas and we will use it for shearing, breeding and performing herd health chores .   I had small trusses given to me by a family member who had 8 left over from another job he decided against, but my sawn 2x6s, 2x4s and 1x4s got used for beams, ties, purloins, etc.   Feels good to go from not owning a sawmill to a structure with my lumber in two weeks.  Tomorrow I need to install the beveled siding I cut to the gable ends and the metal roof panels.

Pictures later.    Now that I have that structure done(mamma's projects are ALWAYS first), the saw shed is next.
NCDiesel

Thank You Sponsors!