iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No nails, the customer said

Started by Bibbyman, April 15, 2013, 05:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Guy rolled in today and asked if I'd resaw some 10x10 oak beams for him. First thing I asked if they had nails in them. Said no. They were stored inside for so many years. He also has a few small posts he wanted two flats put on them. 

He returned in about an hour with the beams and posts.   Every beam had a few to many nails.  The post turned out to be very dry osage orange. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

clww

Hardware. >:( Did you see it first, or use a metal detector, Bibby?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bibbyman

Quote from: clww on April 15, 2013, 05:33:46 PM
Hardware. >:( Did you see it first, or use a metal detector, Bibby?

Didn't need a metal detector.  Many of the nails were 16d driven half way in and flattened over.   Three had about 20 nails broken off in the end. (Second picture)
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've heard the same story before Bibby. Geeee.....what can you do?  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

I get even with the customer by charging full sawing time to remove the metal ;D Tim

Axe Handle Hound

Speaking of hitting nails, the edge on that chisel makes my hair stand on end Bibby!! :o

clww

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on April 15, 2013, 06:40:15 PM
Speaking of hitting nails, the edge on that chisel makes my hair stand on end Bibby!! :o
You mean they aren't supposed to look that way? ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

Maybe he don;t have a cats paw :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

This is why I will check log dimensions, and if possible make a small shave cut to see if any blue is present. if not, cut and pay.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isaacpopp

maybe it's his metal-gettin' chisel  ;D
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." A.L.

OneWithWood

When the customer says there is no metal my charge for hitting metal goes up!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sigidi

how do they say there are no nails, when they are on the surface bent over, in plain sight????? some people?!?!?!
Always willing to help - Allan

AdamT

It is often a jinx when some one says "oh no, there won't be any metal." Usually this is said as they interrupt me during my sharpening charges explanation to customers.

Then when I hit metal I joke "I thought you said there wasn't any metal"

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Tom the Sawyer

I mill a lot of yard trees so I'm no stranger to the sound of "zing", or even "zing, zing, zing", but this day I had a "zing" and pulled a small nail - hence the stain.  Later I heard another except this one was "ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig".   arg-smiley

Probably couldn't have sliced it better if I had tried.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

4thgensawmiller

I refuse to saw customers logs or other material unless they put up a deposit for a new saw.  Since I run a 60" circle, that runs $2500.00.  That usually stops the requests.  But a few insist there are no nails.  Then I say, "then you won't mind putting up the deposit".  They they say, "but I can't take that chance". And I say, "but you expect me to?"  It gets old....... >:(
"You ain't makin' money if the saw ain't in the log!" - A. M. Gray

Bibbyman

As we looked the nail filled beams over I told him we charge $25 for blade damage if we hit nails.   His reply,  "Just saw far enough that you know that you won't hit nails then stop."  To that I replied,  "Do you know how many unplanned pregnancies happens with that philosophy? "
Sawing since '94

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bibbyman on April 17, 2013, 07:56:31 PM
As we looked the nail filled beams over I told him we charge $25 for blade damage if we hit nails.   His reply,  "Just saw far enough that you know that you won't hit nails then stop."  To that I replied,  "Do you know how many unplanned pregnancies happens with that philosophy? "

Good one :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sawdust Lover

The customer is always right!.............1/2 the time.

beenthere

QuoteI refuse to saw customers logs or other material unless they put up a deposit for a new saw.  Since I run a 60" circle, that runs $2500.00.

In what form do you hang on to that $2500 deposit? Cash, check, note?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: 4thgensawmiller on April 17, 2013, 07:42:01 PM
I refuse to saw customers logs or other material unless they put up a deposit for a new saw.  Since I run a 60" circle, that runs $2500.00.  That usually stops the requests.  But a few insist there are no nails.  Then I say, "then you won't mind putting up the deposit".  They they say, "but I can't take that chance". And I say, "but you expect me to?"  It gets old....... >:(

When you hit metal with a typical band mill, you clear the jam if you can't saw on out, decide what to do with the metal,  change the blade and life goes on.  But with a damaged circle blade,  I suspect there is a lot of down time and a lot of effort to repair or replace. Am I correct?
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

No.  It depends on the metal.  Heavy metal that's hit hard will result in major damage.  Sign nails has no effect.  You hit it, and keep on going.  Same can be said for other metal.  I've often hit nails and kept on going until I normally filed up.  Wood species comes into play, as softwoods don't hold a nail nearly as well as a hickory. 

Just yesterday I was in a mill that hit a nail.  The sawyer could have kept on sawing, but I told him to check the saw.  A grand total of 4 teeth were affected.  Downtime was about 2 minutes as the teeth were filed sharp.  Worst case scenario is you have to swap a few teeth out, or you may have to change all your teeth.  To change the teeth is about 15 minutes, and is the same to swap out a saw.

The worst thing I've ever hit was a railroad spike.  I skimmed over the head.  That took the corners off the teeth.  I changed teeth and kept on sawing.  It was easier to change the teeth than to swage out and do a repair.  I sawed for several months on that saw before we changed it to get hammered. 

That's a major misconception about circle mills.  I've even heard sales people talk that way about circle mills.  I've also heard it repeated by bandmillers.  Most have never been around a circle mill.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

Bibbyman, I am still laughing about how you connected hitting metal and having babies.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ron Wenrich

Here's a pic of a nail I hit with the circle mill.  This head wouldn't come off of the tooth, so I just changed out the tooth at a cost of 75 cents.  Not all have this outcome, but you can see how well the tooth holds up.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Brad_bb

So Bibbyman, I'm assuming you did not try sawing any of his wood?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!