iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker mill breaking bands?

Started by logger79, April 15, 2013, 09:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger79

I recently bought an older baker sawmill to have some work when weather keeps me from logging. I am breaking bands more often than I think I should. Today I cut about 15 or so hickory logs sawing ties and pallet cants and broke 2 bands and changed one that I felt was dull. Is there anything I can do to prevent them breaking that fast?  Guide adjustment, change bands sooner, saw something other than hickory??

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Logger 79,

Well, lots of questions will be asked, but rest assured you will get great response from the crew,  so...
Where specifically are the bands breaking? same place on both?
New or resharpened bands?
mill alignment set good?
Proper band tension?

As many here point out Hickory can be the smiley_devil

best DGDrls

scully

I have heard that some of the older thick bands had problems like that they were to brittle . usualy they break on the weld ....
I bleed orange  .

beenthere

From what I read on this forum, if the band breaks on the weld it is a bad weld. Not something wrong with the mill in particular.
But the OP didn't say they were breaking on the weld either.

Tuning the mill to specs would be important, along with the right tension and guide wheel alignments. And sharpness and set of bands. The more info supplied, the better to figure it out for you.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stavebuyer

Hickory can be a challenge. I'd try a few logs of a different species before looking too hard for blade or alignment issues. Fresh logs and lots of lube can make hickory behave a little better.

bandmiller2

Many things can play a part in band breakage.Myself I believe too much tension is the biggest cause,with alignment,poor guide adjustment close behind.Allowing the band to spin wile log loading and turning can also shorten life due to flex.[don't know how to spell fatigue] Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Well come logger 79. I can't help I have a Wood mizer, but  the mill you have are good mills, good luck 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ladylake

Go over the adjustments

Guide wheel flange 3/16 to 1/4 behind the band
1/4 " down pressure
blade level with the deck
no bad bearings
the bades should track the same if you turn it backwards by hand
If steel wheels is the crown still there
If belted wheels put new belts on
                                        Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

t f flippo

logger79,   Welcome to the Forum.I'm very glad to have another 'Baker' on the FF.

All good posts above.

I need more info on the blades.Type,kind,condition,ect.

I've been having some serious tension issues n problems lately.Rebuilding the spring tension mechanism,but just found out that it's designed for a certain type of blade.I'm using a different type of blade and need to compensate for that.

Be glad to share what I've found out n done so far.

Tc

Quebecnewf

I run a Enercraft same as Baker (Baker bought them out then used their design) . On my first mill I ran the tightener right to the mark as it said in the instructions with no problem. When I bought my second mill (same type in all ways except this one had hyd drive on it ) I found if I ran the tightner right out to the mark I broke bands. I now run my bands on this mill about 1/8" sllack of the correct tightness mark and this has solved my problem.

Give it a try.

Quebecnewf

My Mill

thecfarm

I saw one of them Enercraft for sale. Just a phone number was on it,no one to talk to about it. Took me some searching to find out what it was.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

quebecnewf you always post pics of the nicest roundest logs.   :D  how come none of mine look like that?   ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

logger79

Thanks for all the info guys. These are all new bands lenox woodmaster C 1.5 wide .42 thick. I will do some checking on the wheels as I haven't really looked them over good.
Thanks again

thecfarm

logger79,did not notice you was a new member. Welcome to the forum. You been around a mill before? You mentioned logging,have a crew,equipment? This link is a fun one,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

Not all my logs are this nice . My logs are mostly small I am sad to say.

These are logs i cut this winter and as you can see they are not real large.

We make do with what we have

Quebecnewf

logger79

Logging is my day job. Mainly cut hardwood and a little erc when I have to. I do not have a crew work by myself. Run a 540b cable and have a 440b when that one goes down. I have been around a couple of circle mills mainly offbearing. Don't have any experience with band sawmills.

Thank You Sponsors!