iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advise needed, Stihl 084

Started by Coach, December 30, 2020, 09:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach

Hey guys.  Wondering what do with my Stihl 084. It's had an easy time most of it's life sitting in the back of a service truck, but the compression is now at 125psi.  What are these big saws typically?  It starts easy and runs great if that means anything. 

I do have an AM cylinder/piston kit, but maybe a better idea to just get an OEM piston. Can't see the cylinder walls on the muffler side, but the opposite side looks perfect.

sawguy21

It sounds healthy, advertise it on e-bay or a local buy and sell and see what happens.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snobdds

List it for sale on here, if that's what you're planning on doing.  

Then we can talk.  

Coach

Coach

If someone interested in buying here, I will honor the selling fee the forum asks for. 

mike_belben

If the rope will hold the saw up your gauge is probably reading low.
Praise The Lord

snobdds

Quote from: Coach on December 30, 2020, 11:48:58 PM
If someone interested in buying here, I will honor the selling fee the forum asks for.
make a for sale ad here and list a price, I'm interested. 

ehp

never go by what a gauge reads unless you use that gauge on everything so you get a good idea on how it reads , length of the hose on a gauge can throw things off , the type of part that screws into the cylinder can throw the reading off , where is the check valve , is it close to the part that screws in sparkplug hole or on a 12 inch hose up by the gauge . Is there a the piece added to the end to change the spark plug thread size , that one will really throw the reading off cause you just added a large volume area to the combustion chamber 

ehp

if saw starts and runs good then your good to go , sorry but I'm a OEM guy only but getting parts for that saw most likely will be hard to get now 

BradMarks

Coach:  You are being coached!  There is specific language needed in your post if you intend to advertise anything, along the lines of "I've read and agreed to.......".  

Coach

Quote from: BradMarks on December 31, 2020, 06:06:06 PM
Coach:  You are being coached!  There is specific language needed in your post if you intend to advertise anything, along the lines of "I've read and agreed to.......".  
I'm aware of it, have sold stuff in here in he past, will get at it one of these weeks. 

Coach

Ok, i lifted the cylinder, looks good.  Only replaced the rings, cleaned off a bit of transfer.  I'm getting 150psi compression now, do think it's reading a little low.  I was going to get rid of the base gasket, but left as it is, has .040 squish.  The saw is listed for sale.

Real1shepherd

Can't speak for Stihl, but on large Husky cc saws back in the day, 150psi was fine. If you put back in Cabers, that will come up a bit in a couple of tankfuls.

Some of the older Jonsereds had crazy compression....like over 200psi.

Kevin

ehp

150 psi is fine and it will run good at that compression

Thank You Sponsors!