iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable Sawing

Started by Magicman, July 22, 2014, 08:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

barbender,

You got me on that one  :-\.  If I had looked closely, I would have seen that you had your tongue in your cheek  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

boxygen

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 26, 2014, 08:55:13 PM
I'll post my cherry lumber pic again just for rol.  :) 1' on center, stacked on really flat concrete:

Show off!  :)
Hudson Oscar 121. Mahindra 2415, fransgard winch. Husky chainsaws from 346xp to 394xp, most are ported.

Dave Shepard

If you do a lot of stickering, and have the ability to move stacks of lumber, you owe it to yourself to build a stickering jig. In the closeup you can see the grooves that catch the end of the sticker in the upright. This not only ensures proper alignment, but makes for faster stickering. The jig is 2" OC, but as you can see in the cherry stacks, you can eyeball the extra stickers for 1' OC pretty well.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rasman57

That is a great idea right there!  Cool jig and productive.  Thanks for posting it.

BCsaw

Dave, I take it the stack is picked up off the jig with forks?
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

backwoods sawyer

A planer mill I mill for on occation uses a metal jig that is the same style as yours. Two guys can sure stack some wood in short order using it. Your wood jig is nicely done smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

That jig also forces you to keep your stack layers all even and the same width.  Sometimes, a stack's upper layers tend to be wider than the lower layers, kind of like an upside down pagoda  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Yes, you pick the piles off with a forklift. WDH, if you cut all of your stickers a uniform length, it's harder to make odd width stacks. I cut all of my stickers at 4' because that is the length of the assorted forklift forks that I've had to work with over the years.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I guess that today could be classified as "easy".  Dropped the sawmill wheel off for a new tire and then picked up a Grandson that was today's off bearer.  We did not do too bad by sawing a bit over 1100 bf of Pine and Cedar in 3½ hours.

It was mostly 1X12's with some narrower flitch lumber and no stickering today.  Just dead stacked for the customer to move to the barn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

why do people like stickering lumber in buildings? that is the worst place(no air flow) one might as well leave it dead stacked ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

And I am steady sawing and laughing all of the way to the bank.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 28, 2014, 06:42:07 PM
why do people like stickering lumber in buildings? that is the worst place(no air flow) one might as well leave it dead stacked ;)

Some people are just hard headed, you can tell them over and over again OUTDOORS! AIRFLOW, AIRFLOW, AIRFLOW. But they just won't hear.

3,000 bf of mostly oak ended up inside the FIL's small barn on this job. I think I finally got his attention when I told him that if they don't keep the doors open, and get some fans in there that is would all be for naught.

barbender

Will it really hurt the oak? I know any softwood would be mold city, but with white oak especially, would it have an adverse effect?
Too many irons in the fire

CalebL

Quote from: barbender on July 29, 2014, 12:18:47 AM
Will it really hurt the oak? I know any softwood would be mold city, but with white oak especially, would it have an adverse effect?

Maybe not but you will have water dripping from the ceiling in no time.
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

red oaks lumber

oak gets a dark blotchy look, that sometimes dosent plane out, also gets a white mold that really sucks for the people handling and planing it. ;) been there seen that :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on July 24, 2014, 09:01:10 PM
Today's sawing was Red Oak and SYP.  I got to the sawing site and felt that somehow something was not quite right. 

That is when I noticed that for the first time ever, I had forgotten to put my steel toed boots on.  I had better be careful.   :o

I had that same fealing about something not being quite right ;D

so I played in the sawdust  ::)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 28, 2014, 06:42:07 PM

Because it's gonna be gone by Friday.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ely

I put all my lumber in drying sheds, closed on three sides, but I also have several fans to move air through out the stacks... I find that I really only need the fans for the first few days, after that the lumber is dry enough to not need added airflow... but I do keep a check on it.

Magicman

Folks use what they have, simple enough to me.  Some have better empty places/spaces than others.

Tom L

nice job magic man , looks like you have been busy,

Magicman

Actually, I took off this week, but next week is knocking.   :)

Piston

Quote from: Magicman on August 01, 2014, 06:12:08 PM
Actually, I took off this week, but next week is knocking.   :)

Oh good, there are some pretty cool pics in this thread!  Makes for good inspiration to get me back to making sawdust  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Magicman

Back on the sawing trail again today.  We were not able to start sawing until 10:30 this morning and finished just before the rain came about 4:00.  SYP framing lumber and then three logs sawed into 1" lumber.

1100 bf of 2X6's get loaded onto the trailer.

And 880 bf of mostly 1X12 "whack stacked" and ready to be moved later.

Peter Drouin

Nice job, And I bet the umbrella was handy in a field with all sun too :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!