iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID needed

Started by Downstream, October 25, 2018, 04:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I was cutting the last of some random poplar logs I have been sitting on for awhile.  When I put this log up on the mill I knew it was not poplar as soon as I saw the dark brown sawdust spitting out of the mill.  The bark was off the log and I have not cut anything like this before so I was wondering what type of wood this might be.  The photo does not fully show how deep brown the color was.  Wood was beautiful, but unfortunately I only had one log in my pile.  Thanks for the help.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Brad_bb

Not enough detail to tell.  Closer look at the grain,  a pic of the outside of the log needed.   Ash? Cottonwood?  Need better pics.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_bb

Red Elm (aka slippery elm) is a good guess.  I could tell with a close up of the grain.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

I cut some coffeetree a few weeks ago, the sapwood was narrower and there was a very sharp line between sap and heartwood, I don't think its that.

Thank You Sponsors!