iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Won't let me brag about the heat wave in the past post.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

roxie
winter came in like a lion :D  i always say.. misery loves company ;D with more people from the north skipping town and heading south, its only fitting to send some colder air down there just as a reminder of why they left up here :D :D 8) 8)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

Going to be bitter cold here for two more days. Warming some on Thursday, but still frozen solid, no thaw for us.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

elk42

Thecfarmer
Your highs looks like our lows for the next week or so.   
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

chevytaHOE5674

Cfarm your lows look like our highs for the same time period....

elk42

Chevy
    How many inches of snow have you got this winter.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

chevytaHOE5674

Holding right in the 280 inches/23.3 feet neighborhood, since the lake froze UP we haven't gotten too much lake effect just an inch or so every few days when the ice shifts and some open water appears. If we get a little bit of "warm" weather and strong winds that ice can get all broken UP in a hurry and things could change.

Autocar

Four above zero here with calm wind,looks like maple tapping by Friday.
Bill

chain

Worst thing is our main county road is impassable. A farmer went through with his very large 4wd tractor creating deep ruts in the snow, sleet, and ice drifts. It's an east-west road which always drifts-up, most north-south roads are in great shape.

Should I wait on county maintenance to open road? :D...I've been down this hapless road before. And one reason farmers and loggers are independent cusses, do it myself!

thecfarm

A liitle nippy out there. I had -7 for a low and 5 right now. Should get up to around 20 today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

28° right now.  Freezing rain and sleet likely before noon, then rain likely, possibly mixed with freezing rain between noon and 3pm, then rain likely after 3pm. 

It looks like a "stay home" day.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Magicman,Are the daffodils out??  :(

Chuck White

We're still at -4°, Supposed to get into the 20's this afternoon!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on March 04, 2014, 08:15:07 AM
Magicman,Are the daffodils out??  :(

Yes, many.  Our yellows have already bloomed out, but these whites smile at me at the mailbox.  A neighbor has a yard full of multicolored (yellow/white) daffodils blooming but I have not stopped to take a picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Mostly cloudy  :'( and 75 ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Alcranb

4° here this morning. Be a long time before we see daffodils but the crocuses sure are trying!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

mesquite buckeye

I think it will flip just like a switch and spring will happen. ;D Sure hope so, as I am heading to MO in a month. :o
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Oh, spring will be right on time. ;D It's surprising what 3 weeks out will look like. Quite amazing actually and all this cold weather talk will all end until this November. :D On rare occasion we have had snow in June. Potato farmers call it poor man's fertilizer. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Another wonderful -18° morning. If this winter drags on into May like last year its going to get ugly.

Was talking to a fellow forester yesterday said two weeks ago he was working near a big deer yard so he snowshoed in there to take a look and said there were dozens of dead deer that looked like they laid down and just froze in their sleep. Since that time its only gotten colder and the snow hasn't gotten any less deep, so I'm sure its worse.

I really hope that it isn't like a flip of a switch and then spring arrives. With the amount of snow pack we have on the ground we need a slow gradual warm up or there will be a lot of flooding issues as all that water will have to go someplace, and the mouths of all the rivers are frozen UP solid because Lake Superior is froze, then all of the exposed surfaces have 8-9 feet of frost in them so water will just run off. 

Edit: Forgot to mention we officially had the coldest meteorological winter on record. (I know I know Swamp records don't mean anything they should have taken a picture of a snowy camp it would have been more useful)

WDH

The Mississippi will flood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Almost did not get into the single numbers,9 above,13° now. My paper has a record high and low each day. I always enjoy reading that. Yesterday for a high was 56° in 1846 and the low was -10 in 1890. Will be interesting here in a few more weeks to see the high in the paper when it was so warm in March in 2012.
I'm concered about the flooding too. Depends on rain too. The flood of 1936 was bad and the the flood of 1987 was nothing to forgot either. We got rain in '87.

Jim_Rogers

22° F and flurrying right now....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

chevytaHOE5674

Temp dropped to -22 just as it started to get light out. Brrrrr.

thecfarm

I would almost rather see a bowl of grits in front of me than those cold temps this time of year.

Corley5

-5 here but it's going to be nice day.  Mid teens to maybe 20 for a high.  Indian River has set a new record for snowfall.  We get more than they do but no one keeps an official score down here.  We just know there's a LOT of snow and it's been really cold.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!