iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Almost 20 inches of snow in some regions of Great Britain, 8" in London causes cancellations.  How pathetic. Maybe Canada will have to send snow sleds.  ;D :D

Biggest snow fall in 18 years.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090202/Britain_snow_090202/20090202?hub=World

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Haha we were supposed to get 1-2" today. Ended up with 24+ inches since 8am this morning and still snowing. Didn't cancel school for the kids or anything. I'd hate to live someplace that is so crippled by a little snow.

Meadows Miller

Gday
Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 02, 2009, 05:43:48 PM
Almost 20 inches of snow in some regions of Great Britain, 8" in London causes cancellations.  How pathetic. Maybe Canada will have to send snow sleds.  ;D :D

Biggest snow fall in 18 years.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090202/Britain_snow_090202/20090202?hub=World

Thats why some of them had to move to a new island alittle over 200 years ago  ;) :D on a quiet day you can sometimes even hear a faint Whine of in the distance coming from Pommonia Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D

Quote from: Lanier_Lurker on January 29, 2009, 08:08:29 AM
Quote from: Meadows Miller on January 28, 2009, 07:30:43 AM
Gday

Tcf just send that extra 3" you dont want down my way mate  ;)  :D :D :D ;D its 11.30 pm now and its still about 90 F back up to 100+  by 10 11 am and 110to 120 + f by midday with hot northerly winds   been like that for the last few days and wont letup till sunday :o :o :) ::) ::) ::)

Chris

Yep, I saw some of the highlights from the Australian Open.  Courtside temperatures were getting well above 50C.  I think they stopped or delayed some matches due to the extreme heat.
Yeah she was gettin alittle Hot there for awhile mate we've had 3 days rest at around 90 f and then we are back to around the 105 to 120 mark for the rest of the week till about sunday again    ;) ;D Also with the tenn the bloke who came second is copping alittle flack for breaking down and crying about loosing  ;) :D :D I reckon that id cry too if i got handed a check for  $1 mill for a couple of weeks work but they would be tears of joy  Mate ;) :D :D :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SwampDonkey

I think if Tom got that snow in Florida he'd be frozen solid. Too much of that hot air down south (and down under) makes you too soft. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Welp...  they are calling for -45 F again.  S'posed to hit tonight.  *sigh*  Thought maybe the 2 solid weeks of that crap that we already had would be it for this winter.  Guess not.  Sure hope the wood pile lasts...

Raider Bill

Tried to fix a rental unit's pool pump today. Had to get inside, 57 degrees, 21 mph wind. I can't take this artic blast. Going to start a fire in the fire place at home, make some chili. Burrrrrrrr
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Tom_Averwater

I just got done plowing 8" of snow off of the drive and it is still coming down . We had 6" of snow last week with a 1/2" of ice.  My son's school is already 4 days over the limit on calamity days.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Meadows Miller

Gday

SD It would'nt worry Tom and I a single bit mate  ;) :D Itd be gone in afew hours  ;)  :D :D :D You blokes up north would spend alot of time on the nest around this time of year  :o  ;) :D :D ;D ;) Ive  only seen snow around home here twice in my life but Lived and worked in the high country about 2 hrs away for afew years  and worked in the snow Like  the saying Cold enough to freeze the balls of a Brass Monkey AT  -40 on the cold mornings but usually during winter the day starts   at around - 32 every day and gets to around 50/68 f by lunchtime the avverage temp for the year around home here is 86 f  so i think ive got it pretty good mate  ;) :D ;D ;D

Have a good one

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

isawlogs

This tells it all ....

Missiquoi river in front of the farm , if look you can see open water yet , the snow amount made good insulation and the river never froze completly....

Looking west towards the barn and also to Mont Sutton , that would be the high peak to the left. Thats the back side of the ski resort.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

I let out the cat and dog this morning and said WOW!!,36° at 6:30 AM,not in the single numbers,below zero,like it has been.But it does get up into the high teens or 20's by high noon.Suppose to last for a few days than one day of the colder temps,than back up again.But the wind is going to blow,that will make it seem cold.Been kinda of a cold winter.Have not had many temps above freezing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Well winter officially had it's back broke her yesterday. It was a blazing 44°F by the afternoon and the snow was melting fast. We are supposed to get a 1/2" of rain on Monday with it in the 50's. I see by the end of the week we'll be back to below freezing but this warm spell sure feels good. :)

SwampDonkey

Same as thecfarm here, only we did have some 0 and -5 F mornings in the last week, but warmed up to the mid teens most days and a couple 20's. No rain here yet, although I see a glaze on the driveway and some mealy stuff on the snow pack from last night. Roads could be touchy today. We never had any January thaw at all, some are worried about thick ice this year and floods. But the little river nearby isn't thick with ice and the streams have stayed open where there is no beavers. They said this was the second coldest winter on record for this area. Some areas had colder than -40F .But, I never seen it colder then -23 F here, that's from two thermometers.

DanG

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 08, 2009, 09:40:14 AM
But, I never seen it colder then -23 F here, that's from two thermometers.

I've been wondering how you Canadian bunch were measuring your temps.  Do you add the two readings together, or subtract one from the other?  Inquiring minds want to know. ??? :P

;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

I have no thermometer at all and here Billy Buckwheat is all high fallutin with two. ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Sprucegum

First job I had in the bush as a young'un the boss wouldn't allow a thermometer in camp. Guess he didn't agree with the safety laws about working outside in cold weather.  ::)  ::)

Dang I been Ceclsified so long I fergit how Ferinheight I can go.  ???

Raider Bill

I feel your pain! For the first time in weeks I was able to finally get out of my long sleeve t shirt and into a tank top. Almost had to put on a light jacket there a few times 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

thecfarm

Raining here now,37°,but it's a slow rain.That will settle the snow down.I've been out cutting wood and it was up to my knees.We did have some temps around the 40° mark,but not much sun.  :(  This will be a "go someplace day". We still have a ways to go before the frogs start peeping.  ;D But did see a chicken order sheet in the hardware store.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Another 3 months before the daffodils are up chum.  :D Raining here to ,barely, and 38 F.

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 12, 2009, 08:21:15 AM
Another 3 months before the daffodils are up chum.  :D Raining here to ,barely, and 38 F.

They are up down here now. 8)    But with the warm weather comes some pretty good wind.  Straight line wind blew the top off the Tishomingo County Electric Power Associations building yesterday.  Ripped about 60 ft of it loose and layed it on another part of the bld.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

With all the dry weather in recent years in the SE, I wonder how Mountain Lake in Giles County Virginia is fairing? One of our young members is not far from there and am sure he has been there. It has been a location for a movie or two. Dirty Dancing is the movie that comes to my mind at the moment. But, when I was there a few years ago the lake had been receding a lot since that movie. Was just curious how it was fairing the weather.

Seems the Brits have been filming a 'Dirty Dancing' reality show there the last couple of years, a third season is slated to be filmed as well. Interesting.

submarinesailor

SD,

I think this will give a little bit of an answer.  I couldn't find anything on the actual current level.

Bruce

http://www.mountainlakehotel.com/Section_Home.asp?SID=42

SwampDonkey

Thanks Bruce, hat has a lot of good info including the hyperlinks at the bottom of the page. It says the rainfall last year was 8 inched below normal and that around 43 inches in normal, that's about the same as here, only we had above normal last year, almost 60 inches. I'm glad that the fluctuation in depth is cyclical and not permanent.  Cool place. 8) I remember the big old black cherry tree up there along a path and all the rhodadendron bushes in the understory. Might think they are weeds, but I like'm. ;D

We have a forum member not far from there in Blacksburgh.

Warbird

They are calling for about 7" of snow tonight!!  I am STOKED!  Time to fire up the 'ol plowing rig and get 'er ready to go.   8) 8)

Strange weather the past couple of days...  it was near 15 F yesterday, it got to -27 F last night (still -25 right now), now they are calling for up to 10 F today as the snow starts, snow through tomorrow with a high of 30 F!   8) 8)

chevytaHOE5674

Supposed to get around 10" of snow today. Already have like 5-6" on the ground since this morning. And still have 40"+ of packed base in the woods. Still the middle of winter here...  :'(

SwampDonkey

Anywhere from 4" to 12" expected tomorrow. Nice and sunny and bright today.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!