iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My circ saw at the mill is dead, What to replace with?

Started by Brad_bb, May 22, 2020, 10:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I've had my Bosch Cordless 6.5" circular saw at the mill for a couple years.  I use it to trim a bad spot in a board, or a waney end.  I've been milling Ash on my new property the last 3+ months and I use my cordless saw to cut all the edgings to firewood length in a pile next to the trailer hitch end of the mill.  I do this because then some of the construction guys on site will load it in their vehicle every day or every other day and completely gets rid of the edgings and other bad 2x material.  

Problem is, this week, the clutch in the saw or the motor bearing went bad.  I've always hated this saw because the base lock lever goes below the base when locked, so every time to set the saw down, it unlocks the base.  It's a real pain. Please don't buy this saw!

I've seen some with battery powered Stihl chainsaws.  I'm not totally convinced of that option.  It seems great for trimming logs, but how is it on boards?  Boards are much lighter and you can't exactly hold a board with one hand and operate a chainsaw with the other like you can a circ saw.  It looks like the battery chainsaws are much more expensive than a cordless circ saw?

I'm open to other options/recommendations as well.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

I have an 18v Ridgid, but I would not recommend it. 

Never owned one, but I would lean toward a Milwaukee Fuel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I love cordless tools, but I've yet to use a cordless circ saw that impressed me.  I use a stihl or cordless dewalt recip saw.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

trapper

I am no expert but my Milwaukee Fuel impresed me in a dry 2x12  ash.  Whatever you get decide on a battery system and get all your cordless tools to use that system.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Don P

On most saws that lever can be unbolted and repositioned when it wears. I'm not a big fan of cordless circ saws but the fuel is what most of the guys around here like. I put a new armature bearing and brushes in my power planer this week. The bearing locked but when I dug into it the brushes were about done so I just did it all while I was in there. Maybe a couple of hours total, as always the next one would take 15 minutes.

Dave Shepard

I have both gen 1 and gen 2 Fuel 7 1/4" saws. The gen 1 didn't like any side bind in quick unguided cuts, but worked well. The Gen 2 is a beast, and will out cut a corded 7 1/4" saw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Quote from: trapper on May 22, 2020, 10:47:38 PM
I am no expert but my Milwaukee Fuel impresed me in a dry 2x12  ash.  Whatever you get decide on a battery system and get all your cordless tools to use that system.
I have 2 Bosch drills, 2 Bosch impact drivers, and the circ saw and a bunch of batteries and chargers.  I would like to get away from Bosch.  It's just hard to when you have so many tools and batteries.  I lot of timberframers have Makita, but Milwaukee and Dewalt could be options.  I'll have to look into the milwaukee stuff.

Don P

doc henderson

a battery drill/saw is never going to have the power and endurance of a corded saw or tool.  if I am cutting tough or thick hardwood, I run a cord.  it is a compromise.  I have DeWalt and they are ok in my opinion.  I like Makita. Milwaukee, and Bosch tools.  but I think like John Deere they make some cheap homeowner stuff.  I love Porter Cable routers, but now they crank out all kinds of trashy batt. kits.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Never had any trouble with the Dewalt 18v or the 20v stuff

barbender

I've got a dewalt brushless 7 1/4" cordless, and it's pretty impressive. The only way it lags behind a corded saw is it has slightly less torque than my corded saw, so it stalls easier if the blade gets pinched. So I'd say it's not equal to corded, but really close. I haven't plugged my corded one in since I got the cordless, so that says something😊 The only Milwaukee Fuel tool I've got to use, and it was side by side with my Dewalt, was a 4 1/2" grinder. I only had a 4ah battery in my grinder, but that Milwaukee had the edge. Again, I'd say my Dewalt is just about like corded, but not quite. That Milwaukee felt equal to a corded grinder in every way. Oh btw Brad, I have one of the cordless chainsaws as well, the whole reason I got it was because it can be ran with one hand (safely, I think) while holding the work with the other. It's kind of a top handle configuration.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on May 22, 2020, 11:45:22 PM
I've got a dewalt brushless 7 1/4" cordless, and it's pretty impressive. The only way it lags behind a corded saw is it has slightly less torque than my corded saw, so it stalls easier if the blade gets pinched. So I'd say it's not equal to corded, but really close. I haven't plugged my corded one in since I got the cordless, so that says something😊 The only Milwaukee Fuel tool I've got to use, and it was side by side with my Dewalt, was a 4 1/2" grinder. I only had a 4ah battery in my grinder, but that Milwaukee had the edge. Again, I'd say my Dewalt is just about like corded, but not quite. That Milwaukee felt equal to a corded grinder in every way. Oh btw Brad, I have one of the cordless chainsaws as well, the whole reason I did was because it can be ran with one hand (safely, I think) while holding the work with the other. It's kind of a top handle configuration.
Is it 20 v

Nebraska

I will vote Milwaukee  cordless as well, you might try their 18volt cordless sawzall, I built most of my sawmill shed with the 18volt  trim saw truth be told, it owes me nothing.  I use a 52 cc efco or dolmar chainsaw for my trim saw on the mill, but the stihl cordless electric would be an option if i had power out to the millshed. 

Corley5

Milwaukee Fuel.  Haven't used a corded power tool in a long time.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 22, 2020, 10:13:26 PMProblem is, this week, the clutch in the saw or the motor bearing went bad. I've always hated this saw because the base lock lever goes below the base when locked, so every time to set the saw down, it unlocks the base. It's a real pain. Please don't buy this saw!
As Don P mentioned, loosen the center screw and rotate the locking lever to a suitable position. Since you have so many other Bosch tools and batteries, rebuilding or at least investigating might be the best option.

I have a 40v Ryobi chainsaw that is a beast, but from your description, a circle saw is what you need to continue using.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

longtime lurker

I hope those construction guys taking the firewood away are either paying or trading beer for it if you're cutting it to length. Otherwise yanno - they owe you for a new saw or they're cutting their own. :D

All my cordless tools are Hitachi and they've been good. Most of my builder customers run either Milwaukee or Hitachi. Doing what you want to do I'd be leaning towards the chainsaw though... a change to how/where you cut will fix the how to hold it problem (put a foot on it) and firewood you can bundle and get a rope or strap around the bundle to hold it together. More expensive for sure but... it will save time and be a better long term option I think.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

barbender

Bruno of NH

I run a 60v DeWalt circle saw and chainsaw
Use them both to cut boards
When I worked at the condos 
I was 100% cordless for 6 years.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

Recently bought Hilti cordless impact drivers and 5" angle grinder through Home Depot online.  Farmer friend recommended.  Cost a little more than other brands but very impressed with them.  Mine are 22V.  Hilti makes a 7-1/4" 36V circular saw I'd consider if I were in need of a new one.  

Presently have a 28V Milwaukee saw does just fine for my occasional use. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_bb

@longtime lurker , They won't take it if it's not cut to length.  They are helping me keep things clean by getting rid of the stuff.  

I wish I had one of those wrapper machines that would wrap bundles of it.  Then it could be sold locally as kindling/firewood.

I'm gonna think on it- rebuild this one - I think If I sent it to the service center, the cost would be almost as much as a new one.  Go to a new battery system like Milwaukee...   Or spend the money on the electric chainsaw.  I'd like to try one.

47sawdust

I bought a Milwaukee 18 volt fuel circular saw 4 years ago.I love it.That being said after 3 years the electronics went on it but it was warranteed by Milwaukee and fixed for nothing.I have since added drill and impact driver,detail saw,reciprocating saw and a string trimmer.
The saw is really sweet,I don't carry many corded tools except for my Bosch contractors saw and my old 1013 Makita sliding compound saw.
No buyer's remorse going red.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

Yeah that's another plus with Milwaukee- a 5 year warranty. That's nothing to shake a stick at!

Walnut Beast

If you want max power cordless power get 60 volt worm drive 7 1/4 Dewalt

Walnut Beast

THE FLEX VOLT DEWALT

20V/60V MAX* FLEXVOLT 9.0 AH BATTERY. the tool automatically adjusts to The Battery you have in

(Admin to the rescue to protect the innocent...)

Walnut Beast

Couldn't get it out of that big bold print 😂😂😂

Thank You Sponsors!