iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have a bad back - should I even consider buying a mill someday??

Started by Warbird, March 31, 2011, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Hey guys.  I dream of owning a sawmill someday but I have lower back issues.  Crouching, bending, or slouching for long periods of time hurt me bad.  I can lift okay but have to be very careful.  Standing in one spot for long periods also kills my lower back.

So what do you think?  Should I give up the dream of having one someday?  If not, then what sort mill would you recommend that is easiest on a guy's back?

I'd only own the mill for my own use, hobbyist stuff, and helping out friends.  Doubt I'd ever go commercial with it but ya never know.  Interested in your opinions.  Thanks.

Skip

red oaks lumber

you can own one just don't use it! 2 things you need strong, your back and well your back.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

TreeWinder

Only you can say,  but many of us have very bad backs and still work the mills, I'm one of them.  I'm surr you have good days and bads, work it the good  days,.  Would not be surprise to see a person in a wheelchair running a mill.

Follow your passion.   Good luck to you.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

beenthere

I used to have lower back problems.
Did two things... push ups, (25 a day), and changed how I stood upright so the spine was straighter in that lower back area.

Now, if I feel some lower back pain (tightness), I do 5 pushups and it is gone. Has worked for me for 35 years now (but still remember how painful it was).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

laffs

it is hard on your back thats for sure. i went with full hydraulic and have some support equipment also and its still hard on my back. but if your going to do it as a hobby maybe you could get some buddies to help out and work at your own pace.

slow and steady

Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

WH_Conley

I have had back trouble for years, have to think things out how to protect it. Hydraulic mill LT40 and a helper. The last couple of weekends I have been helping a young neighbor boy set up and learn to use his new LT 10. I would not attempt to use it by myself.
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had a back problem. And then one day my brand new, shiny orange Woodmizer LT40 HD G28 showed up and BAM.....I was healed, healed I tell ya!

True story.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Follow your heart. You can find ways to work within your abilities.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sixacresand

I just had major back surgury last August.  I bought a Woodmizer LT10 three months later.  I have to pace myself and use my tractor, winches to move/lift things .  One thing, my mill is stationary and on the ground.  I plan to raise the mill a couple of feet off ground to reduce  bending.  The summer heat, flies and ticks concern me more than my back.  So, I say go for it and get a mill.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bull

Broken back @ 17 osteo and rhumutoid  arthritis bad legs, still running my mill go for it !!

fred in montana

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Knute

Some type of back support may be helpful. I always wear a wide leather weight belt around my lower back while sawing and doing any heavy lifting.

tyb525

I'd say do it if it's your dream, nobody says you gotta be a production mill! Take it slow and use things other than your back to do the heavy work.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

cypresskayaksllc

Ive had two broken backs and I can run a hydraulic mill. Never tried a manual so I dont know about that. My back tells me when breakfast lunch and dinner is.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

sigidi

Warbird, here in Aus, I'm a university qualified Exercise Physiologist, pretty name but basically means I know stuff about the body, muscles bones exercise that kind of stuff. Majority of back issues can be greatly reduces or even negated all together by better control of abdominal wall muscles. Not so much making them rock hard, but switching them 'on' all the time, we tend to forget about them and more often than not it is abs not switched on which allows the lower back to roll into a much greater curve, this in turn loads up the lower back greatly and also means the weight bearing aspect of the spinal column is compromised. Go see a personal trainer/physio/exercise physiologist get some coaching on 'bracing' practice this until you do it as 2nd nature, you may find your back issues will almost all but disappear once your abs are doing their job properly.

I'd tend toward a swing mill ( I know I'm biased ;D) but you said standing for periods is a no go situation for you, with a swing mill you are doing light exercise (walking) most the day, when the board is to be tailed it is an edged board so you're not having to pick up a slab that needs resawing. I have a fairly serious leg injury and the walking back and forward has done wonders for me over the years - even now my right leg is still much smaller than my left, but it gets me through milling 5 days a week or more
Always willing to help - Allan

Ron Wenrich

We're pretty automated, so there isn't a whole lot of handling things.  The biggest problem seems to be moving heavy slabs and boards.  Rollers probably could be used to move that stuff around, and some of the mills have a drag back feature that helps with much of the pulling. 

I've had back problems off and on for a number of years.  I've had sciatica so bad that I could barely walk.  Chiropractors didn't help all that much.  I finally ran across a website run by one of those therapy type guys in Canada.  He has lots of stuff to support his techniques.  I ended up laying on a tennis ball and put against some pressure points.  Sciatica was relieved in a matter of minutes and was gone within a few days.  Hasn't come back.  His theory is that back pain is a muscle problem in 90% of the cases.  It worked for me.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Warbird

Thanks for all of the excellent info and opinions guys.  I am in very good shape, excepting my back.  My back problems are brought on by scoliosis in the lower lumbar.  I have two 33 degree bends with 2 compacted vertebrae and arthritis developing in that area.  You can't tell it by looking at me and only a trained person would notice my gait is off a bit.  I wear a shoe lift in one shoe and it helps reduce much of the pressure from standing.  Even so, just standing really gets me.

That's pretty much my story.  A couple of buddies and I have been talking about sawmills for a couple of years now.  I love the big old circular saw mills but will likely never operate one.  Heck, I've never even seen an operating mill in person.

Being a new dad, I can't afford a mill right this moment anyway.  It's just a dream but it's a big dream.  Trying to figure out what I want to work toward.  On a side note, I really appreciate reading this board.  You guys are great.  Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Brucer

I have had back problems in the past -- mostly in the lower back, mostly from lifting too much. First time was when I was 30. I have been able to carry on production sawing, first with a manual mill, later with a hydraulic mill.

I've got smarter with age and I know how much I can handle without risking my back. That's my secret -- I listen to those little warning voices and if something looks to heavy, I don't lift it. Since I'm handling timbers, some of them over 1000 pounds, I use rollers and gravity a lot. The front-end loader doesn't hurt.

One thing that has helped me a lot is good abs and good posture. That comes from doing 15,000 crunches a year (OK, so I'm a little weird :D :D).

There are options if standing around causes you pain. I read an article a few years ago about a sawyer running a mill from a wheelchair. Wood-Mizer has a seat option on some of their mills (Magicman has one). Other manufacturers might as well. When you're just sawing for yourself, you can take frequent "back breaks". Mind you, I've noticed a lot of us seem to overlook aches and pains when the sawdust is flying and everything is going good :).

If you have a chance, try one out. You'd certainly be welcome to run my mill if you ever made it this far south. I'm sure a lot of FF members would say the same.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

captain_crunch

Go in pards with your buddys good sawyer don't need strong back just a sharp mind. Sawyer makes or breaks opperations My back should be shot from Logging and Rodeo but still going (mind might not be as good)
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

backwoods sawyer

Rollers, lots of rollers, saves picking the wood up carring it, power rollers will save on on pulling as well, a remote mill or a mill with a seat can minimize standing.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Old Hilly

When I moved out to the country there were lots of mills around here and I got friendly with a couple of the owners. One thing that they both told me time and time again was "Don't carry timber, slide it!". When I watched the process of getting a log from the log-yard and turning it into sawn timber "scantlings" I noticed that there was no real carrying of the timber. Heavy flitches were moved on trolleys to the saw bench, then on a trolley to take the weight as the flitch went through the saw. There was a similat trolley on the "out" end of the saw bench that would support the heavy section of timber while the sawn piece was flipped over to the docking bench. From the docker it went down a slide to the yardman who slid the piece to whichever stack it was needed in. The yardman did the most walking but carried very little weight, all the timber just slid along until it got to the stack it was suposed to be in.
When my neighbour and I get our bandmill finished and start cutting Paulownia, the shed will be set up the same way.....Minimal lifting but lots of sliding on either rollers or slippery plastic stuff.
Oh yeah, have had a crook back for 40 years, just had to work out how to make life less complicated. One of my old "Leading Hands" in the gang that I worked in for a while used to say...."Always have one lazy bloke in your gang because he will work out the easiest way to do something".
I still rekon old "Jacko" was pretty well "spot-on"!
Good luck with your mill. Just think "lazy".
Dennis.

bandmiller2

You want to saw smart,when ever their is an operation that stresses your back stop and figure a way to negate it.As mentioned heavy slabs are A prime suspect make two slab cuts insted of one,lift one end at a time and let them slide down an incline.Very important to have your mill elivated so your not bending over.Rather than a new manual mill find a used hydraulic,let the oil do the heavy lifting. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Norm

Sigidi has some very good advice, my back was so bad I thought I'd never be without pain but aerobic exercise with 10 minutes of abs work really helps. Start slow and over months time work your way up to that 10 minutes. I also walk weather permitting 2 miles a day and during the winter when I can't really feel the difference.

A hydraulic mill with roller boards and some help you'll be fine. Jay will be a great offbearer and you never know maybe April will like helping.  :)

SwampDonkey

I have a touch of muscle pain in the lower back at times, it's definitely not in the bone. It is best dealt with (in my case) by exercise and movement. A good walk does wonders if I'm a little sore.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I would suggest a hydraulic mill, an operators seat & a minimum of 1 helper!

It doesn't take brawn to operate a sawmill, but you would need it if you did the bull-work on the other side!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Busy Beaver Lumber

Warbird

I have had two spinal fusions with metal plates and three other disks operated on in my neck and upper back due to two major automobile accidents, one where I got tail ended 30 years ago by a tractor trailer and one 6 years ago when I got tail ended by a bus. In addition to the spinal surgeries, I have also had 2 shoulder surgeries to my left shoulder and only have about 30% use of my left arm and about 25% use of my left hand. About twice a week, my left hand will cramp up so bad that I can not move my fingers or straighten them out. When it happens, it is incredibly painful and feels like someone stabbed me in the hand with a knife, and then gave the blade a twist for good measure.

Ok, that is the bad news. The good news is I own and operate a LT-10 and absolutely love the mill and truly enjoy using it. Like many have said, I have gotten creative over the years in finding ways to lift and move heavier loads using other pieces of equipment and techniques.

In addition to this, my wife and I own a firewood bundling business and this year we are under contract already to deliver over 25,000 bundles of wood. By coincidence, we are just starting to bundle for the 2011 season tomorrow morning and hope to do 500 bundles tomorrow. 500 bundles is basically equivalent to 3 cords of wood. It is a lot of lifting and bending, but to tell you the truth, although I can feel a bit sore on any given day that we bundle or deliver the wood, in general I find that I feel better and have more overall flexibility in my entire body during the 8 months a year that we bundle and cut wood versus the 4 months that we do not, and I can not wait to get back to doing it in the spring. I also find that it helps to decrease the number of times my left hand cramps up. If I bundle for 4 or 5 days in a row, the first day the hand will give me some problems, but then the other 3 or 4 days are usually pretty much pain and cramp free.

My 2 cents for what it is worth based on my own personal experience
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

terrifictimbersllc

What Jeff said.  If you really want one don't let your back stop you.  Probably not get a swing mill because there's more physical demand with the mill and moving the lumber.  But with my fully hydraulic band saw the main places my back hurts is jacking up the outriggers (maybe use an auxiliary car jack when needed) and carrying away the board return table.  I can mill a whole very productive day when the customers do all the heavy work.  If you're thoughtful and methodical and carry jacks and always use power or leverage options, you might not ever strain your back.  But when you get in a jam hurrying around or whatever trying to get out of some situation that's when you might drop caution and hurt yourself.  If you always remember not to strain your back then you probably wont strain your back.  ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Whitetail_Addict

Buy a mill.  I think I can sympathize with the "bad back" like many others who have responded to this post.  I have a broken vertebrae just above my tail bone that has long since healed on its own.  I have a torn disc between L5-L4 and four herniated discs in my thoracic spine.  I have pain every minute of every day.  Often times the physical pain wears on my mood and causes mental pain because I worry about things I may soon not be able to do (I'm 33 years old).  I purchased my WoodMizer LT28 almost a year ago and absolutely love sawing.  It's a manual mill that requires a lot of physical input.   ;)  However by choosing a mill with a log deck near waist height it keeps me from having to bend over to pick up boards.  Big plus!  I have a John Deere tractor with FEL and a set of forks that does all my heavy lifting.  I can't wait for this snow to FINALLY melt so that I can get the mill up on the hill and tear into some logs.  Like you I had been eyeing sawmills for quite some time before finally taking the plunge.  Now most of my weekends and some evenings during the week are dedicated to sawing.  Do what you can to live life without regrets... even if it hurts a little along the way.
2010 WoodMizer LT28, John Deere 4520 w/ FEL, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700, 127 Acres of Northeast hardwoods in New York's Whitetail country

Magicman

I'm into my 10th year sawing and have never sawed without back trouble.  I always wear a weightlifters belt and it's shown in many posted pictures of me.

Helping on a mission trip.

What I wear.

It is for support and is no substitute for proper exercise and muscle warmup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I would buy one for sure.Jay will be old enough SOMEDAY to pull slabs and boards.  ;D  Start them out young.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teacherman

Quote from: Warbird on March 31, 2011, 07:28:09 PM
Hey guys.  I dream of owning a sawmill someday but I have lower back issues.  Crouching, bending, or slouching for long periods of time hurt me bad.  I can lift okay but have to be very careful.  Standing in one spot for long periods also kills my lower back.

So what do you think?  Should I give up the dream of having one someday?  If not, then what sort mill would you recommend that is easiest on a guy's back?

I'd only own the mill for my own use, hobbyist stuff, and helping out friends.  Doubt I'd ever go commercial with it but ya never know.  Interested in your opinions.  Thanks.
Are you good with levers and rollers? Willing to take your time? I carved stone in the 1990s, and got into architectural carving (big fireplaces) before a wrist injury took me out (it eventually got better). I could easily move, lift, and roll or turn over 1 ton rocks. I had a derrick, a chain fall hoist, stone straps with a rigged up roller system I invented, and a cheap engine crane. I plan to keep the stuff and use it to handle logs as I start to mill in my seventh decade drawing God's sweet breath. I weigh under 11 stone, can maybe lift 50 lbs once or twice, but I hope to do me some milling and maybe even rig my way into erecting a timber framed something. Hydraulics and leverage turn brains into muscle.

Anyway, you can always ask/hire someone to handle the physical part if you really want to be there and be part of the action...
That's my ignorant opinion!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Quote from: Jeff on March 01, 2020, 06:06:11 PM
@Warbird its only 9 years after starting this topic
Yeah...  my life took a much different turn than expected what with becoming a dad, taking on a large job, then moving jobs and taking another big job.  I don't think buying a plot of land and milling my own lumber for a house is in the cards for me.  Ya never know, though.  Maybe when I retire at 60 and actually have time.

Warbird

Quote from: teacherman on March 01, 2020, 05:43:36 PM

Anyway, you can always ask/hire someone to handle the physical part if you really want to be there and be part of the action...
That's my ignorant opinion!
Not ignorant, at all!  Being a husband, dad, and IT guy, consumes me.

Wintergreen Mountain

I have lower back problems, sometimes have trouble even walking. My mill is all manual and I have very little trouble operating it. If my back bothers I just slow down or take a break.
   Yes! Buy a mill! 
   As long as you don't push yourself and get someone to help if you can't handle something easily yourself. I think it is actually a great exercise machine.

Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Magicman

Quote from: Warbird on May 27, 2020, 02:49:41 PMMaybe when I retire at 60 and actually have time.
James, thinking that you will have time after you retire is folly indeed, but I smiled when I saw your name show up.  We need to hear more from you sharing some of your activities.  I can only imaging how much Jay has grown??  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Quote from: Magicman on May 27, 2020, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: Warbird on May 27, 2020, 02:49:41 PMMaybe when I retire at 60 and actually have time.
James, thinking that you will have time after you retire is folly indeed, but I smiled when I saw your name show up.  We need to hear more from you sharing some of your activities.  I can only imaging how much Jay has grown??  :P
Hey Lynn!  I'll have to make a post with some pics.  Yeah, Jay has grown a LOT.  We keep feeding him and he keeps growing.   :D  He's going to be a large man.  

GAB

I fully agree with MM's statement - "James, thinking that you will have time after you retire is folly indeed"
Earlier this month I turned 60-12 and I would of never thought that I would be this busy today 20 years ago.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Wudman

Quote from: Jeff on March 01, 2020, 06:06:11 PM
its only 9 years after starting this topic
Just shows the value of this forum.  Folks still learning from stuff that's buried.  Thanks.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

farmfromkansas

My back was sore 9 years ago, still is.  Still have my mill and still mill with it. Just keep adding more toys.  Skid steer is a wonderful thing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

EOTE

I've had back problems all my life and have had to live with pain since I was a teenager.  I've had therapy, CAT scans, chiropractors, and doctor's analysis about how much my disks have wore down or got crushed over the years.  The doctor suggested I have the bones fused together in my lower back.  

3 years ago after being retired by the company I worked for I ended up buying a sawmill.  Standing and working 10 to 12 hours a day offloading, sweeping, stacking and stickering the lumber and before I knew it, I don't have back problems.  Sure, I am sore and tired, and I hurt from all the work but the sawmill actually was good physical therapy that no doctor could have recommended.

It boils down to how much do you want the sawmill and how much are you willing to give to the dream to make it happen?  Running the sawmill is only a small part of the whole dream.  So think about it, are you willing to go for it or sit there and always wish you had?
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Magicman

Remember guys, Warbird posed this question March 31, 2011, and his life has taken many twists and turns since then. 

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on May 27, 2020, 10:43:00 PM
Remember guys, Warbird posed this question March 31, 2011, and his life has taken many twists and turns since then.
I stopped looking at dates when I retired.  Probably should have this time. Heck, I don't even switch my clock to daylight savings time.  Who needs to save daylight anyway?  :D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

lazyflee

My Grandpa always said "if you're not completely wore out when it's over, you didn't do enough" I'm trying hard to live up to that.

stavebuyer

I sold my last mill a over a year ago. Since that day I have not had any "back episodes". Before parting with the mill half a dozen times per year I would find myself with severe back issues where it would be a battle to get out of a chair, put on socks, tie shoes, walk etc. There was seldom an event like " you knew better than to try and hoist a 200lb anvil". Sometimes just a reach or a twist and I would notice a  "catch" and the next morning trying to roll out of bed would be a 20 minute adventure. Sometimes no clue what I did to trigger it. I recently did a little house remodeling and had to wrangle my 60 gun safe around solo so I am still stupid and active but suffered no back issues from safe moving.

My mill was fully hydraulic, plenty of rollers, full time help and a fleet of loaders so my experience seems to run contrary to the others that have posted. I miss my mill greatly but not the back episodes. I would not recommend anyone with a history of back issues to buy a sawmill.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawdust creek

I had a bad back when I got my first circle mill.  I am now on number three. I've tried, to quit but instead I'm just slowing down. 
Go for it. 
Lee Gibbs 

beenthere

Quote from: Warbird on May 27, 2020, 03:24:34 PM
Quote from: Magicman on May 27, 2020, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: Warbird on May 27, 2020, 02:49:41 PM

Hey Lynn!  I'll have to make a post with some pics.  Yeah, Jay has grown a LOT.  We keep feeding him and he keeps growing.   :D  He's going to be a large man.  
How is Warbird and the "youngster" doing, as well as the family? @Warbird 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NaySawyer

I feel allot better about my knees after reading this thread .. Lol
Say you can or say you can't,
Iether way you are right!!

jpassardi

I say if you have a strong passion for milling, go for it. You can find ways to work around injuries, may slow the works down a bit. Worse case you lose a few bucks on re-selling the mill.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

maineshops

I'm 82 this year. Bad back, bad legs, bad shoulders and bad eyes. . The one thing I don't have is a bad attitude. 
You will find ways to get things done with help of devices or friends. I'm assuming you're looking at hobby milling like myself.  Go for it and learn....dan
Phil:4, 13

charles mann

Im 19 weeks out of lower spinal fusion of the l5/s1, i need shoulder surgery, i need to get an mri to see if my left knee needs to be repaired again, i have an anchor that back out about 3 month after having my left ankle rebuilt, hearing is pretty much gone along with my eyesight and im only 44 yrs old. 
As mentioned, toys that aid in the taking a bulk of the lifting demand makes it much easier. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Thank You Sponsors!