iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Folely-Belsaw M-14 Mill

Started by Ron R., June 03, 2009, 06:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripp

Ron
Glad to hear the mill is up and running!

Lots of good info in this thread.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Tripp

Ron R.

Knocked me down a nice cedar and cut it into 4x6's to make log ramps. Had a fun time sawing them out. Going to put them up next week and start working on shed to cover mill.    Ron

bandmiller2

Ron,in anouther post you mentioned getting a stationary engine for your Belsaw.Most power units will turn the wrong way if you couple it up like your tractor.Their are ways around this but require extra rigging.Sometimes you can find an old large tractor with a good engine and PTO but outher problems like bum tires that can be had reasonable.Tractors have good governors and lugging ability so important for mill operation.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron R.

Finished everything on the mill today except for handling sawdust. Guess I'll just shovel it for a while until I can find me an elevator or something to handle it. It's been a long haul but it sure was nice to finally get it wrapped up. Loaded a couple of cherry logs to saw tomorrow if'n it doesn't rain. Posted some more pics in my gallery if anyone would like to see it........A special thanks to all who contributed advice, that was a big help.......................Ron

Fla._Deadheader

In Arkansas, I saw car rear ends used for driving dust chain. Run a belt off the mandrel, down to the rear with a pulley on the yolk. Also saw a car used as a starter motor for a Diesel engine. Start the car, let out the clutch, and spin the old starter. 

How rustic do you want to be ???  ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

apm

Looking great, Ron!  All that's left is to get a roof over it and you're all set. That John Deere is going to do you proud. Wish I had that horsepower. Raking sawdust will work fine if you're not in it for "high production". The only drawback to raking around here is you end up knee deep in the sawdust with the copperheads that have burrowed into it to warm themselves. A dust chain becomes a priority after a few of those type encounters.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Ron R.

LOL--glad we don't have copperhead problems around here. I thinking on the line of an old grain unloading auger. I should be able to find one at a farm sale this fall. I'm hoping to find at least a 6 in. or maybe 8 inch auger. With no more sawing than I will do it should handle the sawdust with no problem......................Ron

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ron Top Job on the Mill looking pretty neat there Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)
the auger will work a treat we had a dust chain under the Flat top B/down 56' saw and breast bench with a 36" saw in them that feed in to a 6" by 20' auger in a little mill I worked at when i was about 22yo the auger kept up with both saws running Aron the owner had cut the top half of the auger pipe for about 6' so chunks could be ejected instead of binding up the auger but a bit mesh over the infeed of the auger should do the job  ;) ;D

With the snakes the browns kick th rabbits outa their borrow and the tigers just live with em to keep warm same goes under log an timber piles that are left there too long  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ANLWhip

hey , I just wanted to log in and get to know you guys, I got an old Foley Belsaw M-14 that we just rebuilt and is up and running this past week for our first run  I will try and grab a cam and get some photos to post here.  right now we are borrowing a friends MF 180 to run it but we have a Cat D4 that were are putting a PTO on to run the mill. I been reading your posts here for a bit and you guys have great advice and believe me I need all I can get

bandmiller2

ANLwhip welcome,glad to hear anouther belsaw is back on line.The D4 should do fine they have alot of torque and good governors.Keep us posted,you must explain your handle.Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

and welcome to the forum ANLwhip  ;) ;D 8) We've got another circ fan and its good you decided to come on in Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ron R.

ANLwhip, welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here myself but you'll find a great bunch of sawyers on here and full of great advice. Just got a m-14 up and running myself. Got a few finishing touches left to do but nothing major. Tooo dog-gone hot to saw right now here(especially since I don't have a mill shed). Weather cools a little I am going to start sawing out my mill shed and hopefully get the mill covered before winter. Post some pics and let us know what area of the country you're in....Best of luck................................Ron

Ron R.

Finished up some safety issues today. Installed an emergency shut-off cable to the tractor pto. Installed screen wire to hopefully knock down some of the dust. Posted some pics in my gallery of these so it might help someone else with safety. Noticed there are more and more Belsaw users coming on the forum so might be of some help to them......Ron

Tripp

I like your off bearing end. The boards are sitting up high so you don't have to bend over so far when removing them.

Tripp

apm

You've got things looking great, Ron. You're going to have all kinds of fun now! ;D
Timberking 1600 now

bandmiller2

Ron,good to see the flak screen and a place to hide,and its wise to be able to cut power to the blade quickly.What works good for screen is what they use in front of fire places either the chainmail stuff or heavy screen sections.Best place I've found to mount it is from a roof rafter just your side of the saw so it won't hit the teeth when it swings,it absorbes the impact and keeps the little stuff out of your face.Years ago I worked in a bakery we had chainmail type conveyer chain for glazing donuts perfect for screen wish I still had some.Frank C.

Ron R.

well guys, finished sawing post for my shop and mill shed this morning. I sawed all my post out of cedar and cut them 4x6's. I found out it takes quiet a big cedar to get more than 2 post at that size. Good thing I didn't try 6 bys. Any how now it's on to sawing plates and rafters and I really looking forward to seeing how the little mill handles it. My brother brought over a white oak log that was 26 inches through and I found out it was almost too much for my little mill. Don't believe I'll try sawing one that size again. Too much trouble to turn and my 40 inch blade just isn't large enough to make the cuts without using a chainsaw to finish. Maybe being a greenhorn at sawing is part of the problem. :-\.               Ron

apm

Great news, Ron. You may have that thing covered before winter. On a 26" log, it's much easier in the long run to split it in half with a chainsaw then mill the halves. You'll still get a pile of lumber, but lots less turning, burying the saw, jamming the splitter in the uncompleted kerf, etc. I usually make one pass with a chain saw the length of the log, then if it's good grain, split it the rest of the way off with wedges. 20-30 minutes well spent.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

bandmiller2

Many times a oversized log can be handled if all the nubs are cut off along with the butt flair,but usally their more trouble than their worth.Frank C.

Tripp

I have found that 20 inch plus logs with a 40 inch blade will give you quite a workout. Once you get them squared up they are a joy to cut. My max cut is around 15 inches with my mill. I think Quartering or halving with a chainsaw on large logs (especially hardwoods) may be the answer. I see a big saw with a ripping chain in my future! Gun barreling is also an option but it is a lot of work.

Tripp

Ron R.

Tripp, Thought about the gun barrelling method but decided that might be for more experienced sawyers. Halving with a chainsaw might be a better option. Anyhow, this is a slab holder I built to handle my slabs to cut into firewood. (I'm gonna try to insert a pic :-\) 

. I think I did it...................................................................Ron

htpd43

hi ron
looks great - nice work.  just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a rough idea of how much the mill cost you.  not counting the cost of set up/material.  i would love to get my hands on something like that, but nj isn't exactly a hotbed of sawmilling.   :(
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

Thank You Sponsors!