iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to deal with snakes

Started by WH_Conley, February 29, 2008, 11:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Much to manys dismay here I've stopped and picked up bull snakes to bring back to the farm, just drop them down the first rat hole I can find, better than a cat I say  ;D.  By the way we don't have any poisonous ones around here (that I've seen), you have to get a little farther west.

mesquite buckeye

We have a deal. They don't bite me. I don't kill them. So far, the truce is holding. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Chuck White

Up here, we mostly have Garter snakes and Milk snakes.

However there is a little tan colored snake here with a bright shiny copper-colored belly that no one likes.

I don't ever remember killing a snake in my life, except once while dove hunting in South Dakota I happened to spot a 12-14 inch Prairrie Rattler and he was introduced to my 870!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Fla._Deadheader

Wife came into the house about 20 minutes ago, and said "Papi, possibly is a snake in the chicken house". I grab the flashlight (it's dark in there at this time of day) and change to my outside shoes, and go to the chicken house. Where is it I asked? It's right under that shelf, on the floor. She had reached under there looking for newborn chicks, and actually touched it.

I got down on one knee, and shot the light under there. There was a Terciopelo-Fer de Lance, that measured 47" long, after our fight was over. There was no way to drag it out, so, I gently but firmly tried to ease it out from under the shelf. Problem is, the coop is built low, because I have no need to go in there and the wife is short. The Fer de Lance is also known as the "Velvet Snake", because the skin feels like velvet. It's NOT slick like other snakes.

Anyway, I am stepping lightly and easing the thing out and she is NOT pleased. Tail is shaking like a Rattler, but, they have no rattles. Now, she starts striking at me, and, I'm doing the high step in low quarters. I'm trying to get it where I can cut it with the Machete, but, she gets closer and closer. Last strike ended up being 8" away from my leg.  :o Finally I saw my chance and bashed the Machete into the snake right behind the ears. Perfect shot, and head rolls away.

Now, I check my drawers. No strong odor, so, I proceed to scoop up the head on the blade of the Machete, and carry it out into the open. The fangs measured just under ¾" long, each.  :o Then I went back for the body. It had a bulge in it, and, that is why I didn't get bit. She was digesting a chick. Didn't tell the wife about that.

Anyway, thew skin is now in the brine jug, eventually to be encased in Acrylic resin and made into Pen Blanks. The skin is really beautiful, AFTER removing the needles. She also had 7 swelled egg sacks inside her. SO, that's 8 Fer de Lance, less to worry about.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

beenthere

Good on ya Harold. Glad you dispensed it with no injuries to yourself. Hope to see some pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!