iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just some woodshed pics

Started by ButchC, January 06, 2020, 07:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

I admire member Woodshed's building every time he posts a picture of it. I can only wish I had that talent. Here is mine, I built the back half 2 years ago and the front last summer. I think it is done now other than adding one sliding door to the open end to help keep the snow out. We burn about half sawmill slab which is obtained very cheaply and half cut split wood. The Woodmaster 4400 is on season 14, no leaks and running the original TACO 011 pump, fingers are now crossed.  Repairs have been one blower motor, one snap disk and had to replace the stack last year. This is the second installation for it as we moved 5 years ago, both had the 4400 half in the shed. It is curreny 225' from the basement wall. Good house keeping is practiced around the stove. Insurance guy was here for some storm damage and be suggested a fire proof material to the right of the stove, other than that he gave it a thumbs up. 

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

thecfarm

I like it!!! Your wood is out of the weather.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I like it too! My insurance company won't let me set my owb up like that👎
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Nice setup Butch. I ended up with a Garn because my insurance company wouldn't let me have a OWB in a shed like that. I didn't want to stand outside and load the boiler all the time and I wanted to be able to have a dump trailer full of wood in the shed to load the boiler. So I bought a Garn that was UL listed for inside and put it in a small shed in my pole shed. Its nice to stand inside out of the elements while loading. Just a side note I really like that homemade firewood processor you built. Have a good winter. Its been a whole lot nicer here than a year ago. 

Logging logginglogging

Don't ask the insurance co... just do it.... who insures a wood shed?

Wood Shed

ButchC,
Once you have a woodshed you wonder how we ever got along without one but we did.  I like your large doors and how your OWB is setting in the woodshed.  IF I ran heat to my old barn where my shop is it would be a 200-300ft. run at least, do not see that ever happening.

My OWB is in standby for now while we are away, left circulator pump run and backup oil boiler (in house)  running and hopefully will keep things from freezing.  
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Oliver05262

I built this last summer; got it full of wood now. Still working off the pile in the back of the shop. Just burn wood to heat the shop, but I do have a stove in the basement of the house for emergency. Overbuilt by a lot, but I decided I'm only going around this life once, and I'll do it right.
8' X 16'-- the back wall is 6'high. Stone pad underneath with 3 -- 6" X 6" sleepers. PT floor framing with 2X8 hemlock deck boards. The rest is pine with a steel roof.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

cutterboy

Oliver, that's a nice looking shed. Great job. Nice looking country as well.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

Oliver
Great looking shed 
Wonderful work
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

I built mine 2 years ago. Nothing as fancy as the rest here but it was cheap to build. Locust uprights off my property and lumber sawed on my mill off my place. Roof is 12' X 15' GalvAlum from my feed dealer and other than nails only expense incurred.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

chet

Hard ta believe it's been already 20 years since I built this one.  

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

stanwelch

Real nice yoopershed chet 8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

mart

Here's mine. I used to have just some pallets and the side and ends open. The old pallets were getting bad and dangerous to walk on. The flooring and siding is all cottonwood. The joists are all spruce treated with Copper Green. I have it full now. Holds right at 5.5 cord.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Wood Shed

mart,

Your elevated floor is a great idea, wish I had done that on my wood shed, the drying process would be so much faster.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

mart

Thanks. My old floor was just pallets on the ground. After my foot went through one last winter I resolved to build a better floor. Then figured a nice floor ought to have some siding. The prevailing wind comes from opposite direction, hitting the back of the shed. 

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

JJinAK

@mart- Nice looking shed.  What are the dimensions?

JJ
MS461
MS362

mart

It is 6.5 wide and 16 foot long. Low side is 6.5 foot high, 8 foot on the high side.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

PoginyHill

Adding to the variety of woodsheds out there. Built this a couple years ago when I put in our OWB. Burn about 12 cord/year. Currently have about 24 cords in there with enough room to garage my tractor. The outside "walls" total about 12 cords and I like to leave those to keep the worst of the weather out. Firewood sets on 4X4s. Has collected some water during winter thaw and in the spring, but working on better drainage. We'll see if this year is better. (notice the drain grate along edge in front of tractor)

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

thecfarm

Probably too late now, but a foot of gravel would solve the water problems.
I want to build something next year. A foot of gravel will be going down first. One thing I know, start out high, it never goes up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

Quote from: thecfarm on November 19, 2020, 02:22:03 PMProbably too late now, but a foot of gravel would solve the water problems.

I put two loads of gravel down, which was about 12". One end is about ground level (was lower) and the other above grade (was level). Not an issue with thawed ground, but the frozen stuff is a different story in winter and spring. I have one last thing to do this fall to divert surface water. Hoping it'll be the final fix.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

cutterboy

PoginyHill, that is a humdinger of a woodshed. Very nice.

mike_belben

Thats a heck of a woodpile!

Just throwing this out there.. Im on clay that doesnt perc at all, so its like what you guys deal with when frozen, all the time.  

Drainage here is by surface slope runoff or evaporation only so ya really gotta get it right the first time.  Dont flatten the base then gravel it. Youll just have standing water.  Flat clay is a trainwreck. Standing water creates a bottomless slake soup.  

Shape your base dirt to have a sink and drainage path from the interior, like an above ground swimming pool with a cherry stem.   And either berms or trenches to redirect any higher elevation runoff into your exit path.  I do the finishing touches in the pouring rain to be certain it works.  

Then put down a coarse rock with lots of voids. I like 1-3 inch base.   level and compact it.  Now put down a breathable fabric to keep the fines and mud and bark from filling the voids and stopping this drainage.  Its like building on a brillo pad sorta.  Spread the crusher run ontop, level and compact.  

Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Thanks, Cutterboy. it was a fun project.
I hear ya, Mike. I live on heavy clay as well. You'd think I have dealing with it down pat by now. Unfortunately no. It's still teaching me "who's the boss" every day.

Wudman

I remember walking into my first day of "Road Location" class in college.  The Professor was Thomas ("Doc") Walbridge.  He was an old industry guy that made his way to academia.  He wrote on the board.........

"There are three keys to a good road;
1. Drainage
2. Drainage
3. Drainage"

After 30 years in the business, I will add a fourth.  That is sunlight.  Sunshine is cheaper than rock. ;D

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Wood Shed

If I ever get my woodshed emptied I will be adding gravel and 4x4's, really like that idea.

sublime68charger

this is my wood shed for the year its not pretty or glamour's as all the other's but as long as it blocks the wind and sheds the snow/rain.

it was a quick setup that is for sure.
level off some dirt put down a row of cement blocks put some landscape timbers on top of blocks.  Put ground anchors inside of blocks and cable down the landscape timbers and the legs of the garage in a box.  Put up lattice inside of pipe frame work of shed to contain any wood that wants to roll off of stack and put tarp on,  Put down pallets and some 1/4 plywood in the middle for the wheel barrow to travel on and fill with wood for the year.

this is for Central Boiler 760HDX 

barbender

Wurman, it is surprising how many miss that point on drainage. I used to do a lot of foundation drainage retros with my Grandpa. In that time and since, I've seen people throw a lot of money and effort at wet basements, I usually start with "why don't we grade the yard away from the house?"🤦🏻‍♂️

Nathan4104

Quote from: sublime68charger on December 01, 2020, 04:21:53 PM
this is my wood shed for the year its not pretty or glamour's as all the other's but as long as it blocks the wind and sheds the snow/rain.

level off some dirt put down a row of cement blocks put some landscape timbers on top of blocks.  Put ground anchors inside of blocks and cable down the landscape timbers and the legs of the garage in a box.  Put up lattice inside of pipe frame work of shed to contain any wood that wants to roll off of stack and put tarp on,  Put down pallets and some 1/4 plywood in the middle for the wheel barrow to travel on and fill with wood for the year.

I've seen people try tarp sheds for wood and not to discourage you, but.....
Keep the end open. Both of you can.   Any moisture inside (think ground) WILL condensate on the inside, then drip.  It will stay humid in there is what I'm getting at.  
Let the wind blow through!
Keep the snow off the roof, then away from the sides as it will cave it in either way with enough...
I loved these sheds at one time.  Until I found 2 wood customers loading them up, (with greenish or rain soaked wood)  closing the doors then wondering why their wood wouldn't burn a month or 2 later. 

mike_belben

Same here.  Ive tried drying firewood a lot of ways.  Other than the kiln i built, nothing has been faster than piling it in the open air and sun with tin over the top thats got a slope and generous overhang. 

4 months of wind and sun and itll burn pretty good.  I do 2 rows.. The middle wont dry very good if you do 3 or more. 
Praise The Lord

sublime68charger

Quote from: Nathan4104 on December 02, 2020, 01:40:01 PM
Quote from: sublime68charger on December 01, 2020, 04:21:53 PM

level off some dirt put down a row of cement blocks put some landscape timbers on top of blocks.  Put ground anchors inside of blocks and cable down the landscape timbers and the legs of the garage in a box.  Put up lattice inside of pipe frame work of shed to contain any wood that wants to roll off of stack and put tarp on,  Put down pallets and some 1/4 plywood in the middle for the wheel barrow to travel on and fill with wood for the year.

I've seen people try tarp sheds for wood and not to discourage you, but.....
Keep the end open. Both of you can.   Any moisture inside (think ground) WILL condensate on the inside, then drip.  It will stay humid in there is what I'm getting at.  
Let the wind blow through!
Keep the snow off the roof, then away from the sides as it will cave it in either way with enough...
I loved these sheds at one time.  Until I found 2 wood customers loading them up, (with greenish or rain soaked wood)  closing the doors then wondering why their wood wouldn't burn a month or 2 later.
the wood in this shed should all be dry when it got put into this shed.
The little sticks was all cut and stacked on pallets this spring in 4' stick sections that then had sunlight and wind all summer long.  98% of said sticks have been tree tops laying on the ground the last 4 from a selective harvest done on the family wood lot or have been dead standing trees that finally fell over and got cleaned up.
so all the wood in this shed is dry and it's not like the shed is air tight at all.

sublime68charger

if I get 2-3 years out of this shed I'll be happy I have plans to use some old curved pool walls set up a pavilion type with the pool walls being the roof of said pavilion which should give me a 20'x16 area to store wood under.  that is the plan but I gotta have the time to construct such thing and I only got the stove installed back in October and the tarp shed was quick and fast and I'm hoping that it holds up for this year at least.

mike_belben

Trampoline frame and tin makes a pretty good hoop house btw. 
Praise The Lord

tamarackman

GRANITEstateMP

Not sure if I wanted to add this here or in the score of the day thread. I found this shed on clist last week.

Sorry for the crummy pic. It's made of pt, sonI grabbed it to repurpose it into a wood shed.

I did need to beef up one sleeper before digging in. I'm doing this with material kicking around here and the farm, aka on the cheap!

I grabbed some real low grade boards up at the farm, a couple twisty pt 2x4s I had and some leftover nails from some other projects.

got it done. Its not a beauty, neither am I, but it should hold a cord plus, and should outlast my ole pallets that I'm starting to go away from

Just got to add a few pt 4x4s under it and put it in place...oh, and fill it!
Shed was $100, maybe $25 in gas to get there, everything else was on hand, pretty happy with that! Well, maybe another $25, me and son did go out to lunch on the way home from grabbing it last week ;D

I have plans for a bigger shed, sometime this fall, but this was too good a deal to pass up
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Got the shed 3/4 full before getting pulled off to other chores today

Still haven't had time to start building the big shed yet. 1 project at a time
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Finally got to building the new woodshed.  My buddy gets all the credit, he has a bunch similar, they use them for horse run ins, sheds, etc.  We built them inside his shop on a super windy day, glad to be inside!

both outer walls ready to go up

got it standing on its own. Then we started on the next one and got some boards on the rear of the first one

I wasn't as good at remembering to take pics as I should have been  :(

this was as far as we made it on day 1, had to move them out so he could get his rigs out the next day!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

I was REALLY lax the next time when we finished off and moved my shed home. Probably good we didn't take any pics of moving it...

just got to put it in it new home, maybe that is a tomorrow project?  Oh, and the fill it!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

barbender

Lol yeah maybe it's better you didn't document the move, those pictures could be used against you in a court of law😁

Looks like it came out great👍

GRANITEstateMP

barbender, we were a strong in lower than legal limit, and maybe just a tickle bit wide...maybe
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

barbender

It sounds like it all balanced out then😁

cutterboy

GRANITEstateMP

Something is wrong with my first big firewood shed. I dumped wood in front of it, but it hasn't stacked itself..... YET

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Out with the old and in with the new. My firewood pallets have about reached the end of there useful life.  Time to flatten the area out for a new shed.

As you can see the pallet had a bit of lean going on

trimmed up some branches and brush

and moved a racks worth of wood

we got the shed onto the property, now to move some material.  I was recycled from a leach field replacement down the road.

level is a relative term

moved into place right before dark and rain last weekend

leveled up the shed and my buddy and me got the tin on.  I need to borrow the skid steer and put a bit of 1.5in crusher in as a finish floor.  After that time for wood!

I'd really like a 3rd shed, but I may need to build something to keep the wife happy first...maybe
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

Hey GsMP, I've noticed that those self loading wood sheds don't work very well. :D
Nice looking wood shed and a good place for you to sleep if you don't build something nice for your wife pretty soon. ;)
But seriously, good job with the wood sheds, nice to have firewood under cover.

GRANITEstateMP

cutter,

I've got a plan!  I left some cookies in the shed tonight, we'll see if thrst helps the stacking elfs???

My buddy is the man with a plan behind these sheds.  They are simple enough that even I feel like I'm contributing during the build!  Best part is I'm into them pretty cheap too.  We try to do 2 sheds at a whack.  My buddy provided the logs, I traded a great local  guy his labor on milling toward his cordwood, we both ended up happy.  My only real "costs" were the fastners and tin roof.  It's around $100 in hardware and $300 in roofing and screws.  

I better fill the first two sheds before I try for number 3, or I'll be needing a floor, front door and a stove when wifie gives me the boot!

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Wlmedley

Built this woodshed last winter thinking I might be able to sell it.Priced at $1000 and haven't had any takers so I moved it off my concrete build area and as soon as I split another 1/2 cord to finish filling my old shed I'll probably start filling this one.Not going to give it away and can't ever have to much wood.People around here don't burn wood like they used to.Don't know if they've gotten lazy or smart  :laugh:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Don P

We built this shed this week. Needed a firewood shed now and lumber drying shed, really now but looking like later. I had three 8x16x18' beams from a job that fell thru so that made a nice start. The next beam will sit on top of the right end of this one and we'll keep going making a 3 bay shed... next time we're flush, metal roofing is around a buck a square foot here. DB went with Hawaiian blue. We gapped the vertical siding 2" between planks to let the air thru.

Wlmedley

Don ,if I had been smart I wouldn't have put battens on my shed.I sided it with green poplar siding and it had some pretty good gaps between the boards after they dried .Being I thought someone might buy it I made the mistake of building it for style not service kind of like Aunt Polly's spectacles. 
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

GRANITEstateMP

My siding went up.green, waiting for the preordered air gaps to shoe up soon. I'll take all the drying aid I can get
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

The elfs never showed up to fill the shed, maybe they went on strike? Me and my dad got most of the forth cord in today. I think I'll do 1 more over sized cord into this shed, giving me a strong 5 cords, then start filling the other new shed

After putting up the last of that cord, I started cleaning up a few of my old pallet racks, wow, that shed came right on time.  All the racks I went to move were junk!  The burn pile is much bigger now, I guess that means I'll have to pencil shed 3 in after my next project is complete...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

beenthere

That should be good, seasoned wood the fall of 2025. Nice to be ready ahead.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

~Ron

GRANITEstateMP

Shed number 2 hasn't been filled, but with weather working against us we had to shift tactics.  Started building shed 3

We got this far but ran out of decent weather and ambition.  Almost all of the dimensional lumber we precut to speed up assembly

This should be the end of big sheds for me...for firewood
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

No pics, but we got the siding on today when I had a bit of free time. Hope to get the front dormer done purlins on, then roof it...soon
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!