iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding Hydraulics to Home Built Mill

Started by Koopsy, May 04, 2022, 08:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koopsy

Hello Everyone. 

I'm in the process of adding hydraulics to my portable mill. Currently, I have a 23HP diesel as my power plant and my deck is 29' long. 
I would like to install carriage drive hydraulic motor and an up/down hydraulic motor.

What would be the best pump(GPM) for my application? 
What size of hydraulic motors(cu.in) would be feasible for my build?  

I'll be buying everything from Princess Auto as well. 

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

Den-Den

A good plan for this project should be more complicated than using the same pump and motor that someone with a different set-up uses.  You need a good estimate of the force each motor will have to put out and a good estimate of how fast they will need to turn (both depend on the mechanical parts work and the gear ratios involved).  My mill uses electrical power for both up/down and feed.  I have 3/4 hp motor on up/down (it is over-sized) and 1/3 hp on feed (big enough barely).  Both use gearboxes and sprockets to match available torque & rpm to the load.
For the feed, you need enough force at slow speed to cut and enough speed for the return.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

fluidpowerpro

If all your doing with hydraulics is carriage feed and up/down, I would go with DC electric motors. Much simpler than adding a pump, mounting, reservoir, probably a cooler, filter and valving. 
If however you are set on using hydraulics, I can help. 
Think about it and let me know.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Koopsy

I intend to add additional hydraulic features as time goes on. I want to start with carriage feed and up/down for the mean time. 

This is what I have right now:

- Two spool control valve(14 GPM & 2200PSI relief valve)
- 5 gallon reservoir
- ln-line filter
- Drive Motor(specs unknown)

I was thinking the pump should be between 6-14 GPM?

I need some guidance on the pump sizing and additional drive motors.

Bobby

fluidpowerpro

Then a good start would be to assign HP values to each function. If we use what De-De gave us, lets assign 1 HP to each function or 2HP total hydraulic capacity.
1 GPM at 1500 PSI is 1 HP, so just using that rule of thumb, I would say a 3 GPM pump would be a good start.
To size the motors, we really need to know the mechanics of how they will drive the functions. If using sprockets, how many teeth, etc, etc. 
Most likely, you will end up using gerotor or geroller motor such as a Eaton/Charlynn, Parker, Danfoss or White. 
Your 2 spool valve will probably work but since its rated for way more flow that you need, your ability to do any fine metering will suffer. 
We really need to know what motor you have. Is there any name plate on it? 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!