iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gofurnwood

Started by maineshops, January 09, 2023, 10:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineshops

These mild days up here in northern Maine I've been mixing my yogurt wood in with my maple and it seems to be keeping the chimney cleaner. I'm guessing that it burns hotter . Any thoughts at least it gets rid of the slabs off the mill. Dan
Phil:4, 13

47sawdust

I'm not sure I have any gofurnwood. I do have some yogurt in the frig., maybe it's the wrong kind.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

upnut

I've burned gofer wood in the past, throw a bunch in and go fer more. Dry basswood comes to mind...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

maineshops

Did it seem to keep the chimney any cleaner?

upnut

Not that I recall. I liked it for spring and early fall, build a quick fire to take the chill off the house. The biggest improvement for a clean chimney has been storing our firewood under a roof the last couple years. Much better!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

woodroe

I'm a little further south but could you describe this Gofurnwood  
because I might be burning some of it and don't know it . 
Good chance it is keeping the chimney cleaner though.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Been burning mostly aspen, fir and spruce here for 5 years. It's dry. Never had creosote, just powder soot when brushed. Burns hot and fast. If I load up around 7 pm I still have coals in the early morning on them cold nights. Doesn't take much for coals to ignite'r. :D

https://youtu.be/QRBc6eVpFJw

Background noise is passive heat air exchanger, nothing to do with the furnace except feeds into the cold air return duct. Nothing to do with the draft control.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

maineshops

My gofer wood is mostly balsam popes , and balsam fir, and a little sherry. 
This is the first year I've burned any big amount of it. It is a little extra work for me handling all the smaller pieces. But I think it is worth it . Dan

SwampDonkey

My grandmother came from down your way. But her mother and father were from the Nackawick, NB area. Her father worked on the RR in Maine, so moved to Maine.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

My stoves run on mostly pine, spruce and fir. Get it dried out good
and you won't have any problems no matter how much of it you use.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

maineshops

Swampdonkey....we're here in ludlow, next to houlton. We built a log cabin on 25 acres of woods and ma bought me a sawmill when I retired . Cut 750 bf last summer to finish up a store room next to her sewing room. 
Oh the golden years with a sawmill. Dan

gspren

When I cut a tree down for firewood it was oak or hickory but when a poplar or aspen fell into a field or across a trail and I needed to attack it with a chainsaw anyway I turned it into firewood. I kept it separate and it served well early and late in the season and even on a cold day if I was going to be outside doing other stuff I threw in some of my "gofur" wood every so often but switched back to the good stuff before turning in for the night.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

I've got 5 cords of it next to the stove, 2 under the porch dry and another 8 green about 8 steps from the door to wheel into the basement and under the porch this April. Got all kinds of it and don't mind burn'n it. :D

Thank You Sponsors!