iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who sells a one-handed, small log / firewood grapple? Tongs with a grapple

Started by Jasperfield, August 18, 2008, 10:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

I have the 12" Husky tongs, and a short Ochsenkopf sappie. Both work well, and I use them together so I can use both arms.

edit:
The sappie...

Hookeron with ash handle 38 cm

I broke the ash handle and replaced with a Link house axe hickory handle.

John Mc

Quote from: teakwood on January 03, 2024, 07:37:48 AM
I have 2 Husky 12" and one 8", the small one we never use. too small. the big ones are designed alot better too. We use them alot since 15 years and they are still in perfect working condition. buy the quality ones

Interesting how different people (and different situations) can create such different impressions of a tool. I owned both at one point. I ended up using the larger ones so infrequently that I gave them to a friend. The main reason for infrequent use was my style of work. I'm often a good distance from my tractor or the landing where I'm doing more concentrated work. Carrying the larger tongs around was awkward, and I was always forgetting where I set them down and losing a lot of time looking for them. I've not found a convenient way to carry the larger tongs with me.  If I was working more on the landing in a central area bucking logs or cutting firewood in the same area every time, I might have kept the large ones as well.

That same thing also happened with my smaller tongs, but the holster solved that issue. They now ride on my tool belt, and are as easy to draw as a pistol and always ready when I need them.

I've also found that my back is no longer up to repeatedly lifting the sizes the larger tongs can handle. It's usually not the actual lifting of those logs. It's after a day of such lifting, I blow my low back out over something stupid like just bending down to pick up the hitch pin for my trailer that I dropped on the the ground. If not that, I'll go to be feeling half decent, but wake up in the morning with my upper back locked up so hard even my Physical Therapist wife can't free it up. It takes a visit to the chiropractor to clear up.

I guess it's really a mater of personal preference, and the type of work being done. There's a good reason they make more than one size.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

teakwood

I have to clarify, i don't have a holster nor carry them around, you have a good point there John. we only use them on the log deck when we buck logs and need to slip them over the deck to the transport belt, i'm talking of a area no bigger than 30 by 30 foot.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

Teakwood: For that kind of work, the larger size would be great. You can probably use a two-handed grip for the larger logs as well (two handed grip is possible for the smaller tongs, but not as convenient.)

I just spent too much time losing and then searching for them out in the woods (both the large and the small size), so the holster was a welcome relief.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!