iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood prices

Started by Frickman, November 12, 2007, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Just ran across an ad on the Seattle Craigslist for "Organic Firewood."   ???
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Warbird

Quote from: Onthesauk on November 13, 2007, 09:45:10 PM

:D :D :D

JD350Cmark

I'm selling mixed cords for $250 to $275 and hardwood for $325 a cord.  That includes deliverery up to about 30 minutes away.  I have not had anyone say no thanks, they just ask when will it be delivered.
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

beenthere

I think people are willing to pay different prices for fuelwood if they just want a cord or two for the fireplace through the winter, vs several cords to heat their homes with just wood. Makes it hard to compare when that is going on.
Local firewood dealer makes wood for the Chicago market, and it is all birch...bundled and sold for very high prices at a 'per cord' rate. Has been in that business for 30 years. He thought he was doing his customers a favor adding some hickory to the mix. Backlash, as it burned too long in the fireplace.
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tonich

Quote from: Onthesauk on November 13, 2007, 09:45:10 PM
This one makes my day! :o :D :D

customsawyer

It is all in the marketing. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bull

i'm going organic....
I went organic w/ the vegetables, those people will pay almost any price for organic.....

remember the true definition of organic is : matter that was once living and is now dead...
Shhh, I think we might all be eligible for this Niche market, don't blow it !!!

I'm starting @ $ 350.00 a cord, uncertified. I think you could get $650 a cord for certiified, certification for vegetable is $1500, that covers the land where the vegetables are grown.
I wondering if it would cover the woodlot that is contiguous property!

I have to figure out how to deliver it, my organic horse is six feet under and i dont think he will pull a wagon anymore! ::)

WDH

If you start up the "Certified Organic Firewood" label, I want to buy stock :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D :D

reminds me of

http://www.dogpile.com

That must be the first organic search engine isn't it?  ;D

I have a sick sense of humour sometimes.   :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

speedbump

Hey guys,

I don't get here often, but was curious what y'all called a cord.

I was always told that a cord was stacked split wood four foot high two feet wide and sixteen feet long.  Is that what you have one as?  I was also told that a face cord was half as long as the above or eight feet long.  I think a face cord in the back of a pickup truck with a standard box would be heaping a bit.  What do y'all think?

bob...

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 14, 2007, 09:15:14 AM
I have a sick sense of humour sometimes.   :D :D

No, it suits me best!
Keep going!  ;) :D :D

Roxie

To supplement our own woodpile, we're paying $110.00 a (generous) cord for split, seasoned, delivered and stacked oak. 

Note:  Thank you Amish boys who want a little spending money. 

Say when

Greg

Quote from: speedbump on November 14, 2007, 09:29:24 AM
Hey guys,

I don't get here often, but was curious what y'all called a cord.

I was always told that a cord was stacked split wood four foot high two feet wide and sixteen feet long.  Is that what you have one as?  I was also told that a face cord was half as long as the above or eight feet long.  I think a face cord in the back of a pickup truck with a standard box would be heaping a bit.  What do y'all think?

bob...

You have brought up a huge pet peeve of mine. Simply put, a cord is 128 cubic feet, no matter how it is stacked.

Typically (around here) that means a stack 4 foot deep by 4 foot high by 8 foot long, i.e. 4 x 4 x 8 = 128. And a "face cord" is the same only 2 foot deep, or 64 cubic feet. Your dimensions you state are not "standard" around here, but the total cu ft. numbers end up being the same.

(I've also heard about using "ricks" but I've almost never seen that used in practice. Maybe thats a regional thing?)

In SW Ohio, firewoods ad appear in one or two forms, a "cord" for $125, or a "full cord" for $175+. I can almost say without a doubt if you call and order from the $125/cord guy, he will show up with a full size pickup truck loaded down with (usually junk) pieces tossed in (not stacked) all the way up the the back window. The $175+ guys (who know what they are doing) will almost always bring an entire cord in a larger truck.

Of course, a pickup truck load is NOT a cord, more like 1/2 a cord. One guy did this, showed up, unloaded and I handed him $70. He said it was $125. I told him I will pay him the full amount when he brings the rest of my wood. He left and never came back.

If you a buyer beware, make sure you agree up front what a cord really means, i.e. full cord or face cord. If he's using a pickup truck with logs thrown in, it should be closer to two trucks, not one, for a full cord. There is alot of ignorance + outright deception out there.

Sorry to vent, I feel better now. (If I am mis-stating anything here, please set me straight...)

Greg

speedbump

QuoteOf course, a pickup truck load is NOT a cord, more like 1/2 a cord. One guy did this, showed up, unloaded and I handed him $70. He said it was $125. I told him I will pay him the full amount when he brings the rest of my wood.

Thanks for the info.  The reason I used the 2X4X16 was that the two footers would fit nicely into a standard fireplace.  At least we are in the same pew, and the square footage as you stated is the same.

I don't buy firewood here in Florida since we don't have many days where a fire is needed and I have enough oak trees on my property to keep me in firewood.  There are a few who do sell firewood and your observations are correct here as well, a pickup truck with the wood thrown in haphazardly so as not to take full advantage of the available space, putting more money in his pocket.  And most I have spoken to call a face cord a cord.

Like you said, do your homework.

Thanks,

bob...

beenthere

A face cord is a 4' x 8' face by whatever the length of the wood is in the stack. So 16" wood stacked 4' high by 8' long, would be 1/3 of a full cord.

With 8' pulpwood, the face is 4' x 4' to give the 128 cuft. Used to be, in the south, that cord wood was normally 4' wood, so a cord had a face of 4' by 8', to get the 128 cuft.

There are so many ramifications, that it is no wonder that the feds and many states have made official rules about how firewood can be sold...some recognize only the use of the word 'cord' to mean a full cord (128 cuft). 

There have been several good discussions on this forum, of the various ways and various state/fed laws pertaining to sorting out the confusion....even to the point it is up to the buyer to "beware" of what they are getting.. :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

speedbump

Once the government gets involved in something, it is always up to the buyer to be beware.  Because the playing field has been immensely changed.

bob...

fuzzybear

greg,

i would have to agree and disagree with you. A standard 1/2 tonn pickup with the box STACKED to the bottom of the rear window is between 1/2 and 2/3 cord. Thrown loose is MAYBE  1/2 cord.
   If you take a 3/4 tonn and put side boards on and STACK it to the top of the rear window you will receive 1cord. fill it to the top of the cab and pryamid the load up you will receive 1 1/2 cords. If the truck has helper springs or air bags you can do this. If you throw the wood in you are lucky to receive 3/4 cord.
   Most people around here won't even take a load unless it's stacked in the truck.  I've been in business long enough that if I'm in a hurry I bring a dump load of 4 cords thrown in loose, they take it. I have always stated if it doesn't stack up to the full amount call me and I will make up the differance.
   I guess that's why I'm heading out to deliver my 175th cord for the season, And I only have  5 more months of winter selling. Then I have 150 cords to cut for the Territory Camp grounds. 8) Just wish I could get more than 4 hours of day light. So far Mother Nature has ignored all my requests. Oh Well I still have the gen set and lights.
Happy cutting guys and girls.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Corley5

A 16" face cord thrown in loose doesn't quite fill up the 8' box on a 90s GM pickup.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I never heard of a face cord until I came here.We only use cord around here.A cord of green is going for $165 and dry is 225.Saw this in todays paper.There are probaly cheaper and higher prices,but I don't pay much mind to it.I have all the wood I need.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Fuzzybear, if you loaded a 3/4 ton like that around here you'd be getting a ticket from the weight boys right quick  :D .
Prices started at 175 in sept. most guys start there and go up $5. every two weeks till their out  8).
Ed K

Ron Wenrich

I mentioned this thread to a guy at the mill who sells a little firewood.  He's at $120/cord, but he doesn't sell much.  Too much work. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Not easy work either, it's a little better with a processor. But, you have to be serious about the firewood business if you buy one of those.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

It's a WHOLE lot easier with a processor and that makes it easier to be serious about it ;) ;D :)

Corley5

I thought I was caught up but have picked up orders for another 10 face cords since yesterday  ::) ;D 8)  Two are repeat customers and one is a word of mouth referral  :) :)

Larry

Well...I buy my beer in bulk from some far away state where taxes are not quite as oppressive.  Noticed today the supply was getting quite low so figured it is near time for a beer run.  Checked my wallet and found it a little light.  So...bout time to start chopin ricks (official Arkansas redneck measurement unit) to earn my beer money.  You guys have shamed me so much now, Imma gonna give up the habit...chopin wood that is.  Much easier to get a cash advance from the boss. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!