iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standard oven dry weight for specific species? Dry samples in gas stove?

Started by Delawhere Jack, February 10, 2013, 05:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Couple questions. Rather than oven dry and weigh samples, would it be ok to use published dry weighs/volume if you know the exact species of wood you're dealing with? (And if you could find such data.)

Natural gas gives off water vapor when burned, will this effect samples dried in a gas stove?

woodmills1

for specific results I would dry and weigh untill no more weight change
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The published values would be plus or minus 10%, so they will not work.  A gas stove will not work well either, but it will be close.  Do you have a microwave?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

woodmills1

last time I micro waved some stinky red oak my lovely wife did say, and what are you cooking
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I always suggest that the microwave you use be different and less fancy than the one your spouse uses.  They do not cost much and, if run carefully, give perfect results.  If run carelessly, they can smoke the samples (MC is no longer accurate) and maybe ruin the microwave.  Samples cannot touch each other and should be on a paper towel and should be on a rotating tray with med-low power, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Delawhere Jack

Thank You Sponsors!