iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new Hookaroon

Started by Larry, May 25, 2015, 09:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Last week I sawed a few logs for a nice lady.  She decided to do a little video of the sawyer, yours truly.   
Later I watched the video.  As normal I was sawing alone and dragging everything back.  Sometimes with the first slab its too thin for the dragback to catch an edge so I have to manually chase after it.  What I saw in the video was this overweight oaf doing a little dance with the wheel, and tripping over the loader arm before he could catch that slab.  I thought there has to be a bit more elegant way of doing this.

A thought popped into my head that a hookaroon might work.  So....

A scrap of O-1 tool steel in the lathe for a point.

Pop it into the oven to harden.

While heat was doing its magic I prepared my stick.  An old "hot stick" might work.  Power companies use them for all kind of things.  Mount a limb saw on it or perhaps a shear.  Re-set fuses on a pole.  This one had a smashed connector on it.  Turned a couple of aluminum buttons to epoxy in the ends.

The spike is now hard so I fixed it in the stick and made a test.  Seemed to work fine.  Only time will tell if I got the stick the right length.

Made a couple of brackets to hold it where it will be handy on the wheel fender.  Since the spike is just tool steel I decided to paint it to hold off the rust. 

The stick I'm using is tough but I'm sure it will break if ever used for a crowbar.  In any case it was a fun weekend project.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ga Mtn Man

Pretty *DanG spiffy Larry!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

justallan1

Larry, nice job.
I try to remember projects like this for winter and rainy days to stay busy.

Alligator

What the video did for you was a portion of my job a the sawmill. Watch production, see what isn't working smooth and figure out how to fix it. Sometimes a chain running off for no reason, slab belt breaking because of age, dust chain wore out. Sometimes it was safety issues. Everyone should film their sawing from time to time and then watch it from their easy chair. You would be amazed what you can see, and improve when you are not pressed to finish or keep things moving.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Bruno of NH

Nice job :) :) :)
You have great skill at making things. 8) 8)
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bandmiller2

Good job Larry, I have made several but have used old picks I bought for almost nothing at yard sales. Cut off one spike and with a torch shorten and shape the other on an anvil. I prefer a diamond shaped tip easier to release from the wood. We're older now and have to work smarter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Nice looking hookaroon, Larry.

So now they can call you a hooker, but only when you're sawing!   :D :D :D

Like Frank, I use an "old" pickaroon that I found years ago for cheap.

Either one definately saves a lot of agrivation.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

Thats a mighty fine Larry-rite hookaroon!  :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Nice, now wear that paint off.   ;D  I always use mine to grab those "just out of reach" slabs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!