iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

40 years ago the state said they was going to build a new road through this area. 40 years of unfulfilled promises. They are just now doing it... One BIG road. The Central Susquehanna Valley Thruway. This is the northern end of four-lane Highway 11/15 just north of Selinsgrove, Pa., PennDot has started a highway project, 40 years in the making, that will continue the four lanes to I-80. It will require a bridge unlike any other in north-central Pennsylvania.

A near-mile-long concrete monster, with piers that soar more than 180 feet above the river, it will be taller than all but a handful of buildings in Harrisburg. To build the bridge will require cutting a saddle through the nearby hill. To cross the highlands west of Shamokin Dam will require another series of bridges -- and more than 4.2 million cubic yards of earth moving in total (or enough dirt to fill Beaver Stadium five times).

Even the price is huge. The bridge alone will cost $155 million, the entire eight-year-long project will total more than $650 million when all of the planning, property acquisition and building is complete. Between this and all the new gas line coming to this area it's a busy place.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

8 year project. have a hard time believing that

Jack S

interesting to read KB. I have been running the rt15 route for the last 25 years and watched the progress. Even years ago I preferred 15 over 81. Just for a change I will run 220 from waverly down and I see I almost go right by your place. Would like to stop someday and say hello. We usually go back home home in the summer for a visit. ( Ithaca NY)  Jack

dave hummell

When i worked at the one job i took 118 out to 220 then took 15 out to 45 on to centerhall sometimes once a week. i would sometimes run 925 i think? it ran right alongside 45 less traffic then i could go threw penns caves to look at the elk and buffalo. And if i worked it out right i would stop for the engine show at penns caves.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Southside

Will this be like the other Interstate there in PA where you are trotting along and then have to go on an off ramp, down to a stop light, snake a bit through Breezewood and continue on the Interstate?  Strangest interchange I have ever seen and I have been coast to coast, up and down, many, many times.  Always figured some Senator brought home the bacon with that deal. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

Southside, going way back in memory here, but is that interchange the one that at one point looks like the road is going to dead end at a big TA truckstop?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Southside

There are a couple of truck stops there, one on the right and another past a light or two on the left.  I just remember the first time I ended up there wondering how on earth I had taken such a wrong turn, the next time I realized there was no wrong turn, it was by design.  Of course I had no money left in my pocket to spend at the truck stop given the PA toll fees one encounters heading east before that wonderful exchange.   :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

Yep, that is the place, and  it does seem like there is two truckstops, but I know the big one is a TA, not sure what the other one is. Or I better say I knew, it has been a few years, then a couple more since i have been there.

thecfarm

I went to Lancaster County. I saw what loooked to be the start of a major highway,but only saw cows grazing on the grass.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

been there done that. First time I went through there I was like. wait? what happened to the highway.

Kbeitz

You got to be talking about the I-80 PA Turnpike exit.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

coxy

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Kwill on February 05, 2018, 08:08:44 PM
Looks to be about a 1000 mile trip for me to come see ya
I know a guy who took an 8" jointer home in his checked airline baggage.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jcbrotz

Quote from: coxy on February 09, 2018, 06:10:29 AM
Quote from: Kwill on February 08, 2018, 08:32:00 PM
Looks like gas is high there.
:D :D come to NY

I get gas in NY when ever I am unfortunate enough to go there :D ;D we are slowly taking over the great taxation name from you guys.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

terrifictimbersllc

I do too, I can get ethanol free gas there, bring enough home to run my small engines throughout the year.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 10, 2018, 08:20:27 AM
I do too, I can get ethanol free gas there, bring enough home to run my small engines throughout the year.

Really not a bad day... clamps, fan, torque wench, lathe parts, micro switches. I got the little thing you see in the picture but.....

But.... I buying a ...

GENUINE-1988-BOBCAT-743-SKID-STEER-LOADER

For $1500.
Yep only $1500 It comes with forks and a bucket. Runs great. It belong to the yard. They are buying a new one with tracks. They are hard on there stuff and it need axle bearings. But for $1500 I can do that. Kubota engine gotta be worth that.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

A bobcat for that price, you can do quite a bit and still be ahead on.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

TKehl

WOW!  Congrats!

743 is a nice size to.  Surprised they left the forks with it.  Win there for sure.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Percy

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 10, 2018, 04:19:06 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 10, 2018, 08:20:27 AM

Really not a bad day... clamps, fan, torque wench, lathe parts, micro switches.
I got the little thing you see in the picture but.....

But.... I buying a ...

GENUINE-1988-BOBCAT-743-SKID-STEER-LOADER

For $1500.
Yep only $1500 It comes with forks and a bucket. Runs great. It belong to the yard.
They are buying a new one with tracks. They are hard on there stuff and it need axle bearings.
But for $1500 I can do that. Kubota engine gotta be worth that.

Good deal on the 743. I had a 91 for about 18 years. Had the Kubota diesel as well. Great machine. Tough as they come and no computers to go haywire. I had to do an axle bearing on mine. They have to be done from the inside out.The rear ones anyways. I changed them all so I wouldn't have to do it again. You have to remove the pump/tranny/whatever you wanna call it. There is a constant velocity ujoint between the motor and tranny that needs to be greased every so often. Motor has to be rotated to the exact right position and you have to raise the cab and basicly become Houdini to get at the three nipples..You'll see it when doing the bearings. REgardless, great find...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ed_K

Ed K

Kbeitz

I got the numbers wrong on the skid steer. Its a 873. 73 hp.
I took pictures with my phone but I cant find any way to
send from my new stupid phone. I take some pictures
tomorrow with my real camera.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Percy

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 12, 2018, 01:56:39 PM
I got the numbers wrong on the skid steer. Its a 873. 73 hp.
I took pictures with my phone but I cant find any way to
send from my new stupid phone. I take some pictures
tomorrow with my real camera.
An 873 is a serious machine. For 1500.00, that is like stealing. Some would pay more than that for an 873 carcass ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!