iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gloves or Mittens?

Started by DR_Buck, February 14, 2015, 06:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I just made the switch to wearing mittens outside when it cold.   Ever since about October I've been having bad circulation in the middle finger (yes, that one) on both hands.   It started with just the right, but now it's both.  My DR doesn't seem to have a clue as to why its happening.    When I'm in the cold, the fingers get cold real fast and start to hurt.   In short order it becomes unbareably painful and I need to get them warm.    Wearing mittens allows the warmth from the other fingers to keep the middle finger warm and thus, no pain. 

The only problem is doing things where fingers are required, but I'm managing.    Pulling the starter cord on the chainsaw or the Woodinator processor is a challenge, but I'm getting better at it.

I also had to look far and wide for decent mittens.   Almost every review recommended a Carhart style.  The problem was almost everyone is sold out and they are on backorder.   I went through 11 pages of Google search before I found a place that had them in stock.  I boought two pair!     They are EXCELLENT!!!    Keep my hands very warm even in the coldest weather.  When I'm working they make my hands sweat.   They are rugged and waterproof.

So, who else wears mittens and why?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

coxy

when I was a kid a friend of my dads gave me a pair of mittens he got from the army said he was tired of seeing me with nothing on my fingers in the winter   those things was great   that's probable why I have to where gloves now(hands got soft )  and they are the kinko pig skin  cant do any thing with mittens on  ;D

goose63

these with hand warmers when it get's this cold I spent to many years changing fuel filters on froze up truck's
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

drobertson

I too get cold fingers, they will go bout flat, they are cold and hurt.  It only happens when they get wet, or touch a cold object without gloves when cold.   I have been told it is Ran odes syndrome if the spelling is correct.  A auto nerve issue that's hereditary.  Not sure bout all that but I sympathize with you,  it is a pain to deal with through the winter months.   Keeping dry is of the utmost importance for me.  Now wool glove seem to help, even when they get damp. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Onthesauk

Yep, Raynaud's phenomenon, or raynaud's syndrome.  Doctor always told me when they didn't know what caused a problem they called it a syndrome.

Cold and vibration will cause it.  I changed chainsaws, worked at keeping my hands warm.  Still feel it all the time but doesn't cause a problem anymore. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

If plowing snow where I'm just riding tractor, I use wool liners in leather choppers (i.e. mitten).

If working in the cold, I wear jersey cotton gloves (change to dry pair when/if they get wet).

For white finger tips, I stroke the finger to force blood into the ends. Once the white goes away, then they are good for awhile.

Good variety of heat packs available now, even ones for the toes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

i would lean towards your getting your circulation reduced from your shoulder and neck region. colder weather a persons posture slumps more bringing your shoulders forward without even realizing it, kinda a hunch look,that reduces the blood flow leading to numbing fingers
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

chevytaHOE5674

I have a few pair of choppers but I can't bring myself to wear them as I'm almost always needing to use my fingers when I'm out and about so gloves it is.

Chuck White

I just got a new pair of mittens (from the Military Surplus store), like the ones Goose is showing above.

I still have the old ones that I was issued sometime in the 20th century!  ;D

The old ones have wool liners and the new ones have a quilted liner, but the outer shell is the same on both pairs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

I've never worn mittens but it seems like I remember seeing some one time that were gloves with a mitten cover pouch for the fingers that could be pulled out of the way so you could use your fingers. If not, I may have just given away my million dollar idea.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

dgdrls

Mittens like Goose and Chuck pointed too
(I think mine are 20th century issue also  :D ) for tasks when snow removal is involved like Snow blower work
I also like Chainsaw mitts,
use a glove liner too, they help if your work
isn't really labor intensive but keeps you in the cold.

DGDrls

THUNDER BEAST

I take people on guided fishing trips for the past 22 years, before that I framed homes. I work out side year round. Both jobs have not been at all easy to do with gloves on. Lucky for me I must have super circulation to my hands, because I almost never wear gloves. I found that if you put on and take off gloves that your hands get colder faster. I often encourage my customers in the boat to take off their gloves an acclimate their hands to the cold. This is after picking hooks out of their gloves a few times. Most get use to the cold, some never do.

Paul_H

These three fingered style might work for you when you need to do fine work.We sell them at the shop to fallers and tree guys.

http://www.watsongloves.com/products-single-item/?cat=at-work&sub=winter&pid=841
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Corley5

If I'm operating an open cab piece of equipment I wear mitts of some sort.  The last two winters I've been wearing insulated snowmobile mitts running the Bobcat.  I've always got two pair of cotton mill gloves in my Carhart pockets if I need to use my fingers  :)  They do a good job of keeping my hands warm as long they're dry.  I wear them if I'm running a chainsaw.  I've got a couple pair of Kinco pigskin insulated gloves too.  I usually wear them running the firewood machine but my hands will get cold in them if they're not moving like when running the Bobcat.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Peter Drouin

Leather work Gloves, Just as soon as they get wet I change them. Some days I go through 6 pair. I throw them on the floor in front of the wood stove. Next day there dry ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Remle

I wear "Glomitts", when you need only occasional use of fingers, they come in a variety of styles, full finger length and 3/4 length fingers. Cam-mo hunting Glomitts even have a pocket on the back to hold a heat packet.
When handling fire wood or other times when your prone to get wet from snow and need to use your fingers, Wells' Lamont with rubber coating. When working on greasy projects, I wear latex gloves, in the winter I slide them over a pair of thin cotton gloves. SHWMBO says I have enough hand ware to last 2 life times.. :D :D

DR_Buck

Quote from: Paul_H on February 15, 2015, 10:34:58 AM
These three fingered style might work for you when you need to do fine work.We sell them at the shop to fallers and tree guys.

http://www.watsongloves.com/products-single-item/?cat=at-work&sub=winter&pid=841

Now those look pretty handy (no pun intended).  Are they available in any waterproof version?  Wool sucks up a lot of wetness.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Brucer

I use gloves when I'm working with my hands outdoors, and ski mitts when I'm just sitting out there in the cold (as in, plowing snow).

I have seen 3-fingered mitts in the form of a leather shell that you can wear over the woolen liners (if it's real wool, it should be water repellent).

If you are getting white fingers, you could have Raynauld's disease or Raynauld's syndrome. See a doctor. Raynauld's syndrome is a secondary effect of some other disease or condition. Quite often it's the first symptom you'll see of the underlying disease, so it's really worth getting it checked out.

One common cause of Raynaulds syndrome is excessive exposure to vibration in the hands (as in chainsaws, impact tools, etc.) -- it was originally known as "white-hand disease". My brother has it and has to be very careful being outdoors in the cold. Even if his hands are protected, if his body gets cold the circulation in his fingers virtually stops. The damage is cumulative and irreversible.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Paul_H

DR_Buck,

here is a link to a one finger leather winter glove that might be what you are looking for or google "one finger gloves"

http://www.watsongloves.com/category/winter/

I saw Marks had a one finger glove that appeared to be waterproof.

THUNDER BEAST

Paul_H those look like some nice gloves/mitts. Might just have to get me some. :laugh:

Paul_H

Thunder,

they used to have the Orange foamy waterproof but were discontinued by Watson but other Mfg's may still have avail.

drobertson

All I know is the fingers hurt, and get cold,  and it seems that it's getting worse, gloves or no gloves,  wet is worse for sure. contact with cold metal speeds the process but gripping a steering wheel or anything also speeds the pain.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Anytime I have to get on my 4-wheeler in the cold I use a big pair of mittens from Scheels. They are $32, but worth every penny.
Put the mittens on BEFORE your hands get cold! You'd sure think this is obvious, but more times than not I watch guys ride until their hands are frozen and then try to warm them up. That isn't happening!
Another thing I do is if it's cold enough for hand warmers inside my mittens, I put them on top of my fingers rather than inside my grip. I feel they stop the cold better and don't hinder me holding onto my bike.

Allan

petefrom bearswamp

I suffer from Reynauds which only rears its ugly head once in a while.
However after surgery for Duputrons on my left hand during which the doc bagged a nerve my ring finger gets white, numb and cold in temps below 50 degrees.
Bothersome when milling but I just wrap my gloved hands around the muffler for a little bit to warm the finger.
Mittens have been a must with me when riding my ATV or driving my tractor  in cold weather ever since I can remember.
Not good for fine work however as stated earlier in the thread.
I use lined chopper mitts

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Joe Hillmann

I prefer chopper mitts that are too big.  They are very easy to slip off with just one hand to make it easy to do fine work that requires your fingers they are also very easy to slip back on with just one hand.  When it gets really cold you can pull you thumb into the mitten part of it and keep it warm too.

Thank You Sponsors!