iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging winch for my tractor

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, April 29, 2014, 03:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

We just bought 42 acres of woodlot that abuts our farm. I just walked it with an old high school friend who also happens to be a forester and the tree warden in town. I am excited to begin managing this little piece of forest. Due to the steep terrain though, he suggested I get a Farmi winch for my tractor. There are remnants of older skidder trails that I will need to reopen that run along the top and bottoms of most of the ridge lines.
I have a 52HP tractor. I know Farmi is synonymous with logging winches, but are as scarce as hens teeth around here; especially in used form. Are other major brands (Wallenstein, Fransgard, etc.) as good? Any suggestions? Things or brands to avoid?
Thanks!

Brokermike

buy whats available. I have an Igland (same as a Norse). Got a good deal, had a Fransguard before that one. They're all pretty much bullet proof. If you buy a used one check the clutches and the cable
Don't Jersey Vermont

Farmer Jim

I have a Farmi 501 and have moved a lot of logs with it. My only regret is not buying it 5 years sooner.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

47sawdust

farmer jim,
I bought new -Tajfun 3.5 ton winch from OESCO in Conway,Ma.I have a 45hp kubota and it is a great fit.Very well made,pulling son of gun.They run about $3430 and well worth it .
I looked for a used Farmi for quite a while and finally got tired of looking.Howard @OESCO brought one up to the logging expo in Essex two years ago for me.Great people to give your money to.

Good luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

I have the Norse,with a butt plate that pivots. It's a nice feature.Labonville sells them. I had it since '93, we hauled out a lot of big pine with it for 3 years. They are pricey,but will last for years. I have some 4 foot chains for the small stuff. Easier than running 6 feet of chain through a choker. I also have 6 chokers. Sometimes I use just one,sometimes all six. I can also pull the twitch with the cable. Meaning I don't have to unhook the logs and hook them on the butt plate.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

repmma

Ive got the Norse 450 as well (swinging bottom plate), has served me well.  ive never had' the bottom so it would swing, probably never will bother.  My tractor is 63hp.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

thecfarm

We use to haul out some big white pine,just a 40hp tractor. Hyd would not come up as high with the big pine. Had to straddled a few rocks. Butt plate would pivot when it hit the rocks. With a rigid one we would of been in a mess and hung up.
Also comes in handy to winch up the butt plate to hook a trailer up too. No need to buy a trailer hinge to put on the winch.
Like this,

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

repmma

I dont deny its a good feature and i know my 450 was a good deal when i bought it, just have been able to pick up the twitch's so far.  I cut some nice pine this winter that pushed the envelope though.  Just wrestled one of them up on the mill today, 348 bd ft out of a 10' pine log is alot to be messing with on a manual mill...  But those 29 2x6's and bunch of boards sure helped my tally for the garage!! 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

thecfarm

We was cutting on the land I have now. It was very common that the butt log would be 36 inches. They was some even bigger. We had some so big the debaker would only open 42 inches and they paid high school kids to peel them. They could get them around the debarker. We chased down all the ones that size. Than they re did the mill and told us nothing bigger than 42 inches. They could not get around the debarker. They are all gone,I can remember my father saying. We could of use your 63 hp tractor, That 40 was not big enough. Not many 16 footors was hauled out that size. We really needed a skidder. My Father had a great time working in the woods. I wished he would have done it sooner. He only had 3 years to cut the trees.

repmma

I dont want to mess with any 16' at these diameters, 42", talk about bad back!  Not on this Thomas with a cant dog, no thank you!  Well... they sure do make nice lumber... have to at least try i guess!

I like my tractor but I'm almost thinking i need another one, mostly for finish mowing around the house/field, tilling the garden etc.  This behemoth is a bit much for a 20x50 garden plot, of course tilling it in 10min is nice.

Sure wouldn't mind a skidder myself, but like most people... I'll use the multi tool, awful hard to roto till/bush hog/post hole dig with a skidder.     

EFR

I have an old Farmi winch, and within its limitations, it is very handy. 

drlewis

i have a tajfun 10.000 lb pull on my 80 hp case fwd pulls great, never stopped it yet.only pulled firewood with it had to get skidder so this could keep procceser feed we have grapple on the forks. got ours from middieton equipment rick is great to deal with, old school guy

roger 4400

I have a Farmi 351P, just like it, strong enough for my 43 hp tractor. Your best friend with those winches is a snatchblock. Last year I logged many trees with very small damage to my forest. ALWAYS STAY IN LINE WITH YOUR PULL AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

DeerMeadowFarm

I think I'm going to go to the logging expo next weekend and see what kind of show pricing I can get.

shinnlinger

You handy with a welder?   Build one out of a car axle
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JohnM

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on May 01, 2014, 10:52:29 AM
I think I'm going to go to the logging expo next weekend and see what kind of show pricing I can get.
Wait until they are about to pack up and see what they'll take. ;) ;D :D  As most have said they all work well, I've been more than happy with my Wallenstein.  If you get one the only thing you'll regret is not doing it sooner. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

windy hill farm

I have the Farmi 501 on a 60hp New Holland for the past 8 years, very happy with it. I think the show would be a good place to find one at a good price.
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

waynem3020

Got a Wallenstein FX90 on my old John Deere 3020 tractor. Have only been using it about half a year yet but seems to be a very solid, well built winch. Like someone said in a post I read last fall, any of the major brands are Ok. As for me, the Wallenstein FX90 had the right combination of features that were important to me and the price was hard to beat, so that's what I ended up getting.
JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: JohnM on May 01, 2014, 12:26:01 PM
Wait until they are about to pack up and see what they'll take. ;) ;D :D

Quote from: windy hill farm on May 01, 2014, 08:04:39 PM
I think the show would be a good place to find one at a good price.

Well, I am hoping to get a deal. I'm going up there with money and a trailer so I'm serious about it.

beenthere

DMF
Let's hope that you get it before someone else at the show does minutes before you. ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

Are you planning to beat me to a deal?

beenthere

:D :D

Not I, but the seeds have been sown for the idea, and even others not seeing this thread may have the same idea.  The thought of waiting until they are packing up just might be too late... just sayin.  ;)

This won't be the company's first rodeo either. 

And I don't want to hear that you pulled that trailer all the way there and then come back empty. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

85 HP tractor and Farmi, not sure of the model.
Had since 1994 no probs wore out one cable.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Hilltop366

I think I got lucky and picked up a norse 390 last fall for $1500, it was used to haul 6 truck loads out to the road side about 10 years ago an was stored inside since. It was not my first choice for a winch but for the price I don't think I could go wrong, It works well but a top pulley would be nice some times, there is a top pulley kit available not sure what the kit cost.

Thank You Sponsors!