iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Powder - Muzzle loader hunting

Started by johncinquo, November 04, 2003, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

I have hunted very little with Black Powder and am looking for any advice from old hands at it.  Saying black powder nowadays is not exactly accurate either, because from what I read not many use actual "powder", but the pyrodex pellets instead.  I think to qualify all it has to do is load from the front of the barrell.  Anyway, I have a Thompson Center, Contender.  Come to find out you can not use the black powder barrell with this set up, but have to go buy the Thomson Center, Encore action.  I have 6 barrels for the  contender already, so am kinda P.O.d at T/C for making this switch.  Dont know whether I will invest the money into the encore, or just get a single use gun for BP season.   I have looked at the other T/C guns, the Black Knight, and CVA.  I am thinking I will go with the middle-of-the-road Black Knight for now.  

What are your thoughts on blued barrel Vs Stainless steel?  I know the old "BP" was harsh on barrels, but I think the newer powders used in the pellets ar not so bad.  

I plan on using the pyrodex pellets, at 50 grains, the plastic coated slugs or "sabots" at 240 grains, and the 290 caps for shotgun shells.  I have a ton of those around from loading shells!  Any preferences on any of these or options?

I usually hunt a few days during the BP season, I just carry my old 357 winchester, and figure if anyone sees me it looks enough like a thunder stick to pass for a cursury glance.  I figure I might as well go correctly and enjoy the whole season.

I am getting excited for the deet season this year fo rsome reason.  I got an anterless already in the early firearm season in Northern MI.  Will hunt the regular season at my woods, and then try the BP there, and then a late season in a few counties in lower MI.  I will be hunting the late season on private land within about 1/4 mile of I-196!  Those deer are just waiting to jump out on the highway and mangle a buick!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Bro. Noble

I would highly reccomend the Hawkins style rifle that Cabelas sells.  Looks authentic,  good workmanship,  good sights,  double set triggers,  accurate ,  and priced reasonable.  

Stainless or blue:  pyrodex or black powder,  whatever you use,  use lots of soapy water to clean it up  and then oil it good.  Clean it again the next day,  and then the next week.

I use an old .71 caliber musket --------smells like a bean-eating convention :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

RMay

We had a four day black power deer season two weeks ago . I got a black knight with a blued barrel i use pyrodex pellets 100grains with 240 grain sabots . I got a 8 point with a 16 in. spade this year . The black knight is one nice gun , good luck with your hunt 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

johncinquo

Thanks fellas.  I bought a book on the whole subject yesterday, just ahve to sit down and read it now!  100 Grains of powder, well that answers one question I kept wonderin about.

71!  Holy cow your throwing a rail spike at em.  Must be one heckuva knockdown.

I had read once that the pyrodex was not so bad on the corrosion and clean up as the standard powder.  Will make sure I read all the info.  I know from the past that you have one big cleaning party once you use it a couple times.  Also, the stainless was less prone to being eaten up by the residue left behind.  You guys ever use one of those attachments that blows your charge out with air?  When you dont shoot it, you just take off the nipple and blow air into it with one of the CO2 cartridges.  Would be easier than cleaning it again just to unload it.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beenthere

Regards Pyrodex, I learned the hard way that it has a short shelf life. I don't recall its age when I could not get a consistent bullet placement on the target, until I changed to black powder. Solved the problem.  

Now, I think, there are black powder packets that you can use that are like large pellets of pre-measured powder. Have not used them yet.

Regardless, cleanup is a must to get the residue out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Yes, cleaning is the "constant" with using muzzeloaders. Keep it well cleaned or you may ruin a good weapon.

The in-lines with pellet charges, shot gun primers etc. now are a little easier on the cleaning chore and stainless is suppose to be better, though I still favor the darkness of the blued barrel.

I have the CO2 expeller. It's used to get a bullet out of the barrel when you have one stuck and the standard bullet puller won't do it. I've used it once and its a life saver when needed to clear the barrel.

~Ron

Lynda

There is a new black powder substitute out called Triple 7.
They come in 50 grain pellets for 50 caliber.  They make clean up easier, just plain water.  They are made by the Hodgdon Powder Co.  They also make the pyrodex pellets.  Triple 7 is an up grade.  I also recommend shooting power belt bullets.  They come in full size as the bore diameter of rifle, with a plastic cup or gas seal.  They shoot very accurately.  8)

AtLast

My dad and I shoot BP....50cal Hawkins....VERY accurate.  He built them and a 45 Kentucky. We use 90grain but hold on tight that sucker really kicks!!!!!!

Stan

Hodgen recommends you reduce 777 loads by 20 % from the pyrodox loads. Supposed to be hotter, and definetely less fouling.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!