iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New vehicle or not? When do you decide to call it quits and junk your vehicle?

Started by Piston, October 01, 2012, 09:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I have a 2002 Ford Escape.  It is in good shape for the most part, but it has just over 240,000 miles on it.  Up until now, I've always replaced any worn or broken part rather quickly.  It's time to do the brakes again (who knows how many times this will make  ;D) and my check engine light just came on, I got a code P1409 when I checked it with the fancy dancy computer thingy.  I googled it, and it's the egr vacuum regulator solenoid curcuit (whatever that does?)

As mentioned, it's in pretty good shape for the mileage.  There is barely any rust on it except for a tiny bit starting near the wheel wells.  I use it mostly for a "dog car" for when we need to take the dogs to the vet.  I also use it as a work vehicle (just personal use) to haul my chainsaw, log peavey's, and general milling tools when I go out to the mill.  I barely put any miles on it anymore, I don't use it to commute to work, or any real "important" trips. 

For the most part, I can break down in it (although it's never left me stranded) and it's not a big deal, I mean I rarely NEED to be somewhere on time, typically I don't have much of a schedule. 

A few people have mentioned to me that I should probably get rid of it while it's at least still worth something, not much of course, but something. 

My wife drives a deisel Jetta sportwagon and we love it, that's our 'road trip' car, but we can barely fit one dog in it, let alone 3. 

I'm trying to decide if I should fix it again, or maybe start looking for something else? 

When do you guys call it quits with your vehicles? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

I only tried to deal once. We had a Ford Taurus station wagon with some miles on it,was not real high,but not low either. We went to 2-3 dealers. They expect you to put about 15K a year on a car.  ::) You're a little over on that math.  ;D  We gave that idea up fast. But saying that my stepson had a Chevy truck,one of those kinda fancy ones and he made out good at a dealer. My boss had a Chevy truck,like most buy and the dealer would not give him nothing for it. If you want to trade,give it a try. Never know until you try it. Than if they won't give you nothing,keep driving it until the motor or tranny goes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I have had a few I drove until they had to be towed off the road but that's another story. Brakes are a wear item, part of regular maintenance. If you are having unusual failures and the car is starting to nickel and dime you to death, it's time to part ways. We have a 97 Ranger that is at about the same stage in life, I need to replace the starter again but if we get another year out of it I'm happy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

celliott

We got a 2001 VW cabrio, still runs strong with 185K miles, still gets 38MPG. Our VT road salt is really taking a toll on it, the body is starting to go. Not sure how many more years it'll last before it really fails inspection, or needs a ton of work to pass. It's not pretty, paint chips, rust spots, 2 missing wheel covers, but it runs strong. We will run that car till we can't run it anymore. If something major goes on it, that will cost almost as much to fix as the car's worth, it will probably get scrapped. Noone would take it in trade, could get maybe $1500 private party for it, and that's being optimistic. Worth more to us to just run it as long as possible, at this point. BTW, this vehicle was bought well used, fairly cheap.
I won't be looking at a NEW vehicle for quite some time. Ah, college....
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Warbird

Quote from: Piston on October 01, 2012, 09:45:11 AM
I googled it, and it's the egr vacuum regulator solenoid curcuit (whatever that does?)

I'm trying to decide if I should fix it again, or maybe start looking for something else? 

When do you guys call it quits with your vehicles? 

Sounds to me like it could be just the EGR valve?  I replaced one on my car once and it wasn't difficult at all.  It is part of the emission control system.  That said, I'm not a professional mechanic and am not familiar with the particular code you got.

As for getting a new car, my only advice is to not buy brand new unless you can pay cash for the entire thing and you plan on driving whatever you buy for as long as you drove this car.  ;)

grweldon

My daily driver and most reliable car is a 2003 Acura TL.  It is running on transmission #3 (I paid for one) with 188K miles.  At 187K miles, I changed the timing belt and water pump.  The pump wasn't leaking but it's driven by the timing belt and behind a bunch of stuff and it was inexpensive.  The old belt looked new, I wish I had never changed it.  Since then the power steering pump died, I replaced an IAC valve due to erratic idling.  This weekend I replaced a temperature sending unit due to erratice guage readings (and misinformation sent to the computer).  Suspecting a bad Throttle Position Sensor or Crank Position Sensor related to an occasional non-starting issue.  I still owe $1000 on the car and thinking about retiring it, but not getting rid of it.

I would say that the sensor issue you have on the Escape is relatively minor.  You may start to experience rough idling if you don't fix it.  I don't know what the engine bay looks like on an escape, but I had to take the intake manifold off my 2001 Sable to replace the same sensor you mention.  If you have a dealer do it, expect at least 2 hours labor (~$100 per hour) and about $150 in parts.  The brakes are no big deal.  You could do both front and rear yourself for around $120 and that includes replacing the front rotors...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

sandhills

I can't answer your question but have the exact same one, my '01 3/4ton chev is being hauled away today to get a new transmission.  Worth it at 200k+ miles, I don't know, but I do know the rest of the truck is solid and priced a lot of used pickups around that I DON'T know anything about (it's scary) so I'm fixing it.  Bad thing is I bought it knowing about the tranny thinking it was an easy fix, turned out it wasn't but I drove it for over a year before it tanked, now I'll have $1900 in a pickup I paid $1500 for to begin with  ::) story of my life.

Piston

The Escape has actually been a really good vehicle.  My wife bought it in '04 with 40k on the clock.  Since then I've done all the maintanence on it.  I've had to replace the alternator twice, which entails removing the front right axle!) Other than that, it's been regular maintenance "wear items".  I've done the spark plugs 3 times (which require removing the intake manifold for the back 3  >:() I've replaced 2 of the coils (each cylinder has its own coil), I've replaced some sensor that I can't remember what it is, and that is really about it, aside from fluid changes which have always been on time.  Oh one time my wife brought it somewhere to have them change the oil and they stripped the oil plug when they tightened it!  Oh man I was so mad.  They tried to convince her to leave the car and they could replace the oil pan, which they'd have to jack up the motor.  She was smart enough to say no and had AAA tow it home.  I went to the hardware store and bought a $4 oversized, self tapping oil plug and have used it since.  It's been in there since about 170k. 

I'll price the EGR valve that was mentioned and go from there.  I know brakes shouldn't be bad.  Really I should just keep it and run it into the ground because at this point I drive so little.  I just can't help but think the second I put some money into it's going to blow up  :D

I like the idea that someone said about replacing it when it's gonna cost more than the car is worth.  At this point, I could probably fix it for less then one months car payment  :o
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

DanG

Quote from: Piston on October 01, 2012, 11:19:45 AM
I like the idea that someone said about replacing it when it's gonna cost more than the car is worth.  At this point, I could probably fix it for less then one months car payment  :o

That's one way to look at it, but I think more about what the replacement vehicle is worth.  They're usually worth scrap price when I get rid of them. ;D  I don't know how you guys manage to get by without a pickup though.  We were down to a minivan for a while and I couldn't get anything done!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thurlow

I don't know how you tell;  we've bought new since '75.....my farm trucks (either 3/4 or 1-tons) and wife's daily drivers (full-size 4-door sedans);  we put LOTS of miles on 'em and have always sold 'em locally and bought new again......when it seemed cheaper to buy rather than repair.  Worked every time but once;  had a '81 D250 Dodge that was still pretty much perfect (no road salt/rust around 'here'), except it was evident that the engine was on its last legs.  Talked to the shop foreman at the Dodge place (this was when they still had mechanics, instead of technicians) and he said they'd rebuild my engine for $750;  figured I'd get another 4 or 5 years out of the truck, so I had it rebuilt.  Within 2 months, the transmission....which I thought was perfect....failed.  Before I finally gave up a couple of years later, I'd put almost 4,000 dollars in the thing.........which was worth about 1500.....when I started working on it and when I sold it.  Never again............I hope.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Piston

Quote from: DanG on October 01, 2012, 11:37:11 AM
I don't know how you guys manage to get by without a pickup though.  We were down to a minivan for a while and I couldn't get anything done!

That's the other part of my dilemna!  :D 

For now, I have to borrow my dad's truck (which used to be mine until I sold it to him, never should have that!)  It's a '99 F350 with the 7.3 deisel. 

It's not too inconvenient as he lives right up the street, but still, it would be nice to have my own truck again.   >:( 
Now where did I put that lottery ticket???
-Matt

sandhills

Quote from: DanG on October 01, 2012, 11:37:11 AM
Quote from: Piston on October 01, 2012, 11:19:45 AM

That's one way to look at it, but I think more about what the replacement vehicle is worth.  They're usually worth scrap price when I get rid of them. ;D  I don't know how you guys manage to get by without a pickup though.  We were down to a minivan for a while and I couldn't get anything done!
DanG, I've been driving a '88 2 door Caddy all summer, was going to fix my truck early but not enough time, then came the drought, not enough money.  Just loaded it on the tow truck and with any luck I'll have it back by the end of the week, you have NO idea how hard it is to get anything done without a pickup, I hate minivans but think I'd take yours over the Caddy anyday  :D.

DanG

Sandhills, ain't you got a torch?  That ol' Caddy can be a truck in just a few minutes! ;D 8) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

I say fix it til something expensive goes bad. I recently got a '99 Toyota Rav4 with 132000 miles on it for my drive-to-the-woodlot car. The rear seats came out, first thing. I've stuffed 100 foot rolls of 4" drainage pipe in and it will handle an armful of 8' 2x4s or 8 five gallon water containers and still get 30 MPG.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sandhills

DanG, the thought has crossed my mind a time or two......but it's a Caddy  :D
Oh it has a big trunk too  ;D

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

tyb525

It usually is pretty cheap to fix your own vehicle if you have the skills to do it. It's all about how you take care of your vehicle. I have noticed those who work on their own vehicles tend to have longer lasting vehicles than those who take them to a mechanic. I know of a guy that put 600K miles on his '87 VW Golf.

http://www.pureluckdesign.com/vw/600k/index.htm
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Autocar

My plan for a new truck is try and find a older pickup from a less rusty state then Ohio and rebuild it to new Ive had enough pollution stuff and metric bolts. I want to get back to the 60's  :D The best truck I ever owened was a 1960 B 120 International four wheel drive I had a P.T.O. driven winch on the front it was a great truck I wish they still built things like that.
Bill

Brucer

My vehicles let me know when it's time to replace them ;D.

When the fuel pump broke in my 28 year-old pickup and I couldn't get a replacement part, it was time to retire it (got $100 for it :) ).

When the door panels on my cavalier started to flap like wings, it was time to retire it.

When the front wheels on my International 1-ton froze to the ground and I broke the steering arm off a wheel while trying to break them free, it was time to retire it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

scsmith42

When I call it quits on a vehicle is when the unscheduled maintenance reaches the point where I can no longer depend on it, or if I have absolutely no need for the vehicle.

Based upon your comments, it seems to me that a good, used crew cab pickup might be ideal for you.  You could haul the dogs in it, as well as the sawmill equipment.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Piston

Quote from: Holmes on October 01, 2012, 06:38:53 PM
Fix it and hook your log splitter to it... ;D

Funny you say that, I've been talking to some friends at work about the same issue (keep or sell the Escape) and they recommended the exact same thing you did  :D :D :D
-Matt

clww

What I've done in the past is this: when I'm spending the same money on yearly repair costs that a new vehicle would cost me in payments, the time has come. I just gave away my 99 Neon (165,000 miles) to my step-son. In the past 9 months, we probably spent more than $3K on repairs, which is more than the car is worth.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

I only ever sell a vehicle when it no longer suits my needs and I need the money more. Usually it's because we got an extra kid or two and need a bigger vehicle. We have 5 kids now, so when we get the next one, we will max out our Astro, and we'll need to get a full-size van when we get the seventh kiddo. And maybe eventually one of those bus things.

I have never paid more than $2,000 for any vehicle. My Astro is a 1990 model, and has 268k on it. It shows its age, but so far it's still kicking.

My boss's Tacoma that I drive is a '98 and has 360K on it. We just replaced the windshield on it, and now I'm styling! If you think we baby that truck, you got another think coming. We regularly haul it and a trailer full of hardwood firewood. His other Tacoma I think is a '94, and has around 420K on it. They just replaced the engine in that one, which didn't cost too much. Certainly less than buying another running truck. The one I drive is vibrating now, feels like the driveshaft, so I may need them to put u-joints in it. Still beats paying $400 a month for a new truck.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: clww on October 02, 2012, 10:53:10 AM
What I've done in the past is this: when I'm spending the same money on yearly repair costs that a new vehicle would cost me in payments, the time has come. I just gave away my 99 Neon (165,000 miles) to my step-son. In the past 9 months, we probably spent more than $3K on repairs, which is more than the car is worth.

I don't think you ever reach that point with a Toyota until the frame breaks. Then, do not despair, buy another one with a bad engine or transmission, and keep your old one for parts.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Piston

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 02, 2012, 10:58:14 AM
.....And maybe eventually one of those bus things.

What are you gonna do once you fill up one of those bus things?  ;D
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!