iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Person interested in Forestry, what do?

Started by Gabriel Lloyd, April 03, 2021, 09:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel Lloyd

Dear Forestry Forum,

Hi, I'm someone who currently has no idea what I wanna do with my life, but have looked at the Forestry Service and have found it surprisingly to my liking, from what (likely little) I've researched. Issue is, I'm not entirely sure where to look in order to learn more about working as a Forester in a professional capacity, such as what's it like in a day-to-day capacity, or what some entry-level Forestry jobs would be. I don't suppose that the kind gentlemen on this site would be able to provide me some suggestions on where to look?

Also apologies if I'm breaking any etiquette for a first post here, this is the first time I've been on a forum this formal.

Thanks,
Gabe

sawguy21

Welcome Gabe! No need to apologize, we all had to start somewhere. Have you checked with a state college to see what they offer? Is there a state forest service office nearby. Somebody there should be happy to talk with you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

Welcome, Gabriel.
Off to a good start here.  You filled out your profile so when the right guys come along, they can answer with more specifics.  They will be here shortly...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tacotodd

Study your biology and genetics, they will be a big part of what you need. Plant biology is necessary for what it'll take. Know your trees by the bark and other little signs (oh how I wish I knew them well, but alas, I don't). DON'T be afraid to go out and literally beat the bushes, and figuratively as well. One of the government agencies is going to be "the one", but I'm not sure which.
Trying harder everyday.

Texas Ranger

Along with those, computers, IT age, ya know.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DDW_OR

Welcome.

maybe you can shadow, or follow a Forester for a day to a week while the work is being done?
"let the machines do the work"

Ron Scott

Contact your nearest U.S.Forest Service or State DNR office for information on forestry careers and how to get started in a career with them.

Also contact the Society of American Foresters. They have a lot of helpful information on seeking a career in forestry. Becoming acquainted with a local professional forester who may mentor you would also be most helpful.
~Ron

mike_belben

You might be able to find a consulting forestry company that will let you intern here and there unpaid, see if you like it.  Im sure when its time to plant seedlings theyre happy to accept a helper or 3.  Get in with the right crowd, show youve got some work ethic and arent a whiner..   doors will open.
Praise The Lord

BrandonTN

Forester, Nantahala National Forest

kantuckid

As a retired career counselor, I'll throw you a ringer-> An Army fishing buddy from my past went into forestry then left it for a medical career (working long shift 3-4 day weeks) when his employer moved him from the woods to a desk job after 6 months cruising timber for Weyerhauser out west. Watch what you wish for.

I used him in my career discussions for many years after I knew him.

Locally we have a US Forestry Service operated Job Corps Center. Many, as in MANY of the administrators whove come through in the constant federal job dance of lateral job transfers to make a decent living have been foresters in the beginning of their work. I used to get all the leftover forestry magazines from several of them as my wife worked there as a teacher, counselor, principal. She was a rare bird there as a local employee-most came from all over the place. 
Not trying to discourage you, just stimulate a full exploration. 

In my own rural KY county I we have a guy who chose civil engineering using a free tuition program that KY hwy dept still offers-he switched to forestry long ago and says he's glad he did. Quite a few states have forestry programs in case your looking around geographically. The forester who I worked with on our land to become a part of the Tree Farm Program years ago- he & his wife were from NY state and came to KY to work for peanuts as state foresters cause they liked it here.  Look around long and hard. maybe decide after taking the science and degree main classes before you lock in. When my own sons said they were liking something as a career I told them to go wade into that work area. As one e.g., my civil engineering son worked construction before becoming an engineer. He now will tell you he'd have preferred to have chosen Construction management,. not civil engineering. He was a Nuclear Engr in the Navy for the bribe money but his best friend doing the same job left nuclear when the Navy allowed him to switch to Sea Bees and construction-what he'd done summers as a kid in family business. Try stuff, look around and ask lots of adults about what they do. College professors will sell you what they teach mostly one sided talk in my experience. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

dgdrls

ppine

US Forest Service is the big employer in the West where we have a lot of public land. 
In the East, it would State agencies and private consulting forestry companies that hire the most people. 
I believe that there is a serious movement for more logging and less fire suppression jobs going forward.  A lot of young people are not interested.  That means opportunity for motivated young people that want to become foresters. 
Are you willing to put in the work for a 4 year degree?  How about a 2 year degree?  Are you physically strong, can work outside in all weather, and work alone or in groups?

For modern forestry you need mensuration, timber cruising, statistics, silviculture, forest ecology, resource economics and literacy with computers and hand held computation devices.  You need some logging engineering, and physical science background.  Good luck. 
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!