iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This place in time, mt saint helens

Started by HemlockKing, June 11, 2021, 06:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

What do you recall about mount saint helens? I found this great video off the US national archives channel, a YT channel loaded with great information on all trades, history, studies etc. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UhH6ehrXXZc
A1

Howdy

I remember well watching the volumes of ash exploding out of the mountain.  Living in the Portland area we got a good dusting, however the area East got buried.  For weeks people were cleaning roofs, gutters, and driving on two-track roads.  When someone was tailgating ya, all that was needed was to drive a couple of inches off the cleared tire tracks and throw up a cloud behind you. It was always enough to back folks off. 

For years we were still dealing with a layer of ash material in the gardens and still replacing gutters that were pulled away from houses by all the weight.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Howdy on June 16, 2021, 01:37:18 AM
I remember well watching the volumes of ash exploding out of the mountain.  Living in the Portland area we got a good dusting, however the area East got buried.  For weeks people were cleaning roofs, gutters, and driving on two-track roads.  When someone was tailgating ya, all that was needed was to drive a couple of inches off the cleared tire tracks and throw up a cloud behind you. It was always enough to back folks off.

For years we were still dealing with a layer of ash material in the gardens and still replacing gutters that were pulled away from houses by all the weight.
I was reading about people still digging gardens and finding the "ash layer", I wonder how it affected farming and crops in the area? I imagine it was tough for them that year, surely a blanket of ash would kill the fields no?
A1

Wudman

I visited the area around 1995.  The most striking thing to me at the time was that Weyerhaeuser had replanted its landholdings.  The National Monument remained untouched.  Standing at the visitor's center, it looked like one had snapped a chalk line between the two ownerships.  Lush green regeneration to still almost bare ground in the Monument Area.  Guess another trip is in order.  Need to fire up the Harley.   8)

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sawguy21

It was very fortunate the mountain blew to the northeast away from the built up areas, the devastation and loss of life would have been unimagineable. I was in Edmonton Alberta, came out to find a spotchy layer of gray dust on my pick up. It is really quite amazing to see how the area has recovered.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

K-Guy

My brother was in Spokane when it happened. One of his friends who had his car there, had to strip the inside panels 3 times to get most of the ash out. He still was finding it years later.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Magicman

PatD and I visited the area and the Visitor's Center in 1997.  It was very informative but still eerie. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Edvantage

I camped at fawn lake in 1990. The visitor center was under construction at the time. Also hiked up to the crater 1991. Would love to bring my kids there sometime. 

Thank You Sponsors!