iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PNW Travels....Again

Started by Magicman, July 09, 2019, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This trip has been in the planning stages for quite a while.  A few members already know about it, plus I have dropped a few hints.  We made a similar trip a few years back but RV plumbing problems caused us to have to cut the trip short.  LINK.  (That actual trip begins on page 5.)

This trip will be about 6700 miles with the most distant point being Hyder, AK, which BTW is the most Southern point in Alaska that can be driven to.  Just North of Hyder is also the largest glacier in the world that can be driven to.  The glacier road was blocked by a rockslide the last time we were there.  One of the reasons that we chose this particular time is that the salmon will be spawning and the bears should be fishing.  Hyder  

This trip will carry us to Anacortes, WA, where we will board the Washington Ferry to Victoria, Vancouver Island, on to Port Hardy where we will board the BC Ferry to Prince Rupert, BC.  From there we will travel to Hyder, AK, Prince George, BC, Jasper, BC, and Lacombe, AB, as we make our journey back home.

This will be our traveling mode.

And this will be our resting/sleeping mode. We do not plan to travel over 5-600 miles a day which is two weeks of driving.  :o  We should be back home toward the end of August.  It will be much cooler here by then and I have sawing jobs scheduled beginning the first part of September.  

We are adding "Plans" to our cell phones for talk/text but I suspect that our data options will be limited so I am unsure about posting and pictures as we travel.  I may have to do a catch-up as WiFi is available.  
Our planned departure is the 15th.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

I don't see michigan pigroast on the map?

Magicman

No, we will be somewhere in Canada during this year's Pig Roast.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

To bad. I was looking forward to meeting you. But I wish you safe journeys and great weather.

goose63

Lynn you could go through N.D. we do have a few good places to eat up here 8) :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

GAB

Speaking of good places to eat, on our way to the pigroast we are planning on stoping at TONY'S.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

GAB

Lynn & Pat:
I wish you the best on your trip/vacation.
Take lots of pictures and enjoy yourselves.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

BradMarks

That is an ambitious travel schedule, more power to you! Looks like an Interstate Hwy route. If you have any spare time, some nice scenic 2 lane highways out west - side trips but they get back to the interstate, eventually! Have fun, be safe, lots of crazies on the road.

clww

Be safe and have fun. Best wishes to you both. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Quote from: BradMarks on July 09, 2019, 06:19:10 PMLooks like an Interstate Hwy route.
I haven't really looked but it is probably 50/50 because we have crisscrossed and traveled the back roads in practically every state that we will travel through.  This will be our third trip through Oregon and Washington and the first time to travel the Interstate.  We won't have much choice in South Dakota and Iowa.

On a side note, we will have a tropical storm bearing down on us this weekend with Brookhaven predicted to get 8-10" of rain.  Hopefully it will not affect our departure date because we have reservations on the two ferries.

redbeard

Looking forward too cracking fresh Dungeness 🦀 and having a great visit.
Magicman has followed my Sawmill adventure from the begining  13 years ago and I have admired and followed his adventure's.  Really Looking  forward too meeting Lynn and Pat  on there BC trip.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

btulloh

Man, those look good!! All jimmies, too.
HM126

WDH

Quote from: redbeard on July 09, 2019, 10:55:13 PM
Really Looking  forward too meeting Lynn and Pat.
They talk funny, so you might need a translator ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, visiting redbeard has been on our "bucket" list for a very long time.  We actually met on another sawing related forum many years ago and I have continually admired his sawing and architectural skills. 

We were first introduced to Dungeness Crabs on our first trip through the PNW in 1997, so I wasn't bashful about indicating to Jeff that we were looking forward to cracking a few of them open.  Yum Yum. 

I have plenty of time but with the tropical weather threat this weekend, I am having to move my "getting ready" schedule up a bit.  It also means that our Monday's travel will be a wet drive as we will probably be hitting the storm dead center. 

WV Sawmiller

Have a real good time. Be careful and stay safe. Keep us posted on what and who you see. keep a good journal. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rubberfish

Take the time to read and understand Canadian gun laws before you cross.
Not that you can't have firearms, just certain laws need to be followed.
Good luck on your trip and drive safe. You'll have a ball.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Magicman

This will be our 10th time to enter Canada, so there will be no firearms on board.  Zero, and also no pepper spray, tobacco, nor alcohol. 

Passports - check.

Answer all border questions as asked - check. 

Debit card for getting Loonies - check. 

Credit card for purchasing gasoline - check. :o

Actually the exchange rate is very favorable for Canadian travel.  :)

Stephen1

The exchange is great for you coming north, tough for us going south. 
enjoy your trip!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

And Thank You Stephen for the PM's and other information that you shared here on the FF when I was putting this trip together.  thumbs-up

It's kinda getting down to what the monkey said when he got his tail caught in the fan,  :o   it won't be long now.  :)

rubberfish

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2019, 08:45:32 AM

Credit card for purchasing gasoline - check. :o

Actually the exchange rate is very favorable for Canadian travel.  :)
It's the $5 a gallon for fuel that's not so crap hot.  :laugh:
Bob

pineywoods

MM be sure the ac is up to snuff. 110 here today. If things go downhill on the first day out, you are always welcome to park on our hill and wait it out. Otherwise at least wave when you go by.. Happy travels
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bruno of NH

Safe travels for both of you.
Take lots of pictures please.
When you go on a trip it's like l get to ride along.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Thanks Jim.  With the threat of Tropical Storm Barry for Saturday and Sunday, I completed the task of loading the camper onto the truck today.  It had already been loaded with our clothes, food, and whatever else. 

We could actually leave today, but nothing has changed.  Our blast off is Monday morning. 

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on July 12, 2019, 05:04:13 PM
Thanks Jim.  With the threat of Tropical Storm Barry for Saturday and Sunday, I completed the task of loading the camper onto the truck today.  It had already been loaded with our clothes, food, and whatever else.  

We could actually leave today, but nothing has changed.  Our blast off is Monday morning.
MM:
Considering the weather forcast, I think you should seriosly consider Wayne's offer.
Just my opinion.
Gerald

Magicman

Oh yes, I know where Wayne is.  Matter of fact, I have left some tire prints there.  ;D

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on July 12, 2019, 08:53:03 PM
Oh yes, I know where Wayne is.  Matter of fact, I have left some tire prints there.  ;D
So have we.
Gerald

Bruno of NH

Mr Lynn
May I ask why your not using your larger camper on this trip ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

This is much handier traveling this many miles plus the ferry fares are $34 per foot in length.

Hurricane Barry changed our plans today.  Instead of driving through it Monday, and since we were loaded, and Church got cancelled, we are on our way and are in Mineola TX.

Southside

Lynn, 

I just looked at your return trip again, you do realize that you will have to stop at Wall Drug in South Dakota and get your cup of water and photo with the dinosaur right?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

gspren

Happy Birthday Magic, and safe travels.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Texas Ranger

Happy Birthday, Magic, and safe  travels
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Thank's guys for the traveling and birthday wishes.  Yes we will make a return visit to Wall Drugs and also to the Corn Palace in Mitchell.

We just finished our Birthday steak at the Big Texan and have stopped for the night.  Leaving 1½ days early will allow us more time before the first ferry on the 22nd.

Magicman

Kemmerling, CO tonight.  Not much signal.

Magicman

43° this morning, big change from 98° yesterday!  Soon be in Utah.

goose63

Lynn on your way back are you going through Sioux Falls S.D. ? if so let us know we can drive down there and buy you a late Birth Day supper
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bandmill Bandit

Hey MM
The road trip you and your wife are taking is long and sometimes winding one but it is indeed a beautiful trip. I am not sure when you will meander through this area BUT just so you know my wife and will be in Terrace BC on AAug1 and returning on the 7th. 

If we happen to be in the Terrace area at the same time we could connect there. I think you have my number but if not PM me and I will send it to you.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

GAB

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on July 16, 2019, 03:02:19 PM
Hey MM
The road trip you and your wife are taking is long and sometimes winding one but it is indeed a beautiful trip. I am not sure when you will meander through this area BUT just so you know my wife and will be in Terrace BC on AAug1 and returning on the 7th.

If we happen to be in the Terrace area at the same time we could connect there. I think you have my number but if not PM me and I will send it to you.

I'd like to see a picture of MM, Bandmill Bandit, & Percy.
That would be a picture of wisdom and experience.
Gerald

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: GAB on July 16, 2019, 03:16:45 PM
Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on July 16, 2019, 03:02:19 PM
Hey MM

I'd like to see a picture of MM, Bandmill Bandit, & Percy.
That would be a picture of wisdom and experience.
Gerald
It is my plan to visit Percy while I am there. My son and family are now getting settled in their new home in the area and he has found some land he wants Dad and Mom to "look" at.
30 ish acres of good quality mature trees with a cabin and some decent out buildings. I have my doubts BUT the little lady seems to have found a different hymn book since the grand son moved away. The tunes she is humming are a bit different the last 2 weeks. "There must be something in the water!" Think I've heard that song somewhere.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I am reading all and will respond when I get laptop signal.  

We are in North Ogden Utah for tonight.  If I lived in Utah I would sell my Sawmill and buy a rock grinder. 

100° today from 43° this morning.

samandothers

Quote from: Magicman on July 16, 2019, 09:42:00 PM

We are in North Ogden Utah for tonight.  If I lived in Utah I would sell my Sawmill and buy a rock grinder.

Then you and @thecfarm could then discuss rocks in more detail!  

thecfarm

Trouble is if I dug all the rocks out of my place,it would look like a bowl.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Would not have to dig them here.  They are already on top.  We are somewhere in Idaho.

Southside

At least Utah was a dry heat.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

rubberfish

Wow. You're making some pretty good time there.
At this rate you'll be passing my neck of the woods tomorrow.
The weather will be perfect for a boat ride. Maybe even see an Orca or two.
Bob

Magicman

I am going to take credit for planting Old Glory on top of Mt. Rainier.

Bandmill Bandit

Lynn you should moved her over a bit to the left. You didn't quite get right up on top of the summit.

Southside

Send some of that white stuff down this way will ya?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DPatton

Lynn your gonna pass within about 35 miles from our place on your return trip. Problem is The Missouri River is still flooded at highway 2 at exit 10 off of interstate 29 is still closed since May. Looks like you are having a great trip. Thanks for taking us all along.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

We are presently at redbeard's Sawmill Village.

Redbeard (Jeff) and I.

And we ate a bait of Dungeness Crabs last evening.

AMBoser

Wow. That first photo of Mt. Rainier is spectacular. Did you take it or is it a postcard? If you took it, do you remember where it was? I'd love to stand in that same spot.

Safe travels.
Trying to learn without making a mistake every time.

Magicman

Emmons Vista at Sunrise Center.

Magicman

We started the day with a wonderful Crab Omlet breakfast.

Then redbeard Jeff demonstrated sawing on his new Cooks AC36.

The tailgunners were PatD and Kelly.

Then Jeff cranked the Oscar 60.

And sawed a Madrona crotch.

Magicman

We are now at the ferry to take us through the San Juan Islands and to Vancouver Island.

Thank You Jeff & Kelly for your Warm Hospitality.

WV Sawmiller

The pics and scenery are great but I'm most impressed you could get them women to stack your lumber for you. Stay safe and keep those posts coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redbeard

It sure was a special weekend meeting and sharing stories. Thank you Pat and Lynn for taking your time too visit us along your journey.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

We made the very pleasant ~3 hour ferry journey to Vancouver Island this morning but found Victoria much too "busy" for our liking. 

After a quick stop at the grocery to pick up a few items and a visit to an ATM to get some "Loonies", we are down for the evening just West of Victoria.  We will journey North tomorrow toward Port Alberni.  WiFi tonight but I don't anticipate having any for the next several days.

sawguy21

Welcome to Canada. ;D Downtown Victoria tends to be rather hectic during thw summer months but there is a lot to see in the area.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rubberfish

You'll need to hit another ATM soon. In this country that $100 won't last long.  
Sounds and looks like you're having a good trip.  ;D
Bob

Magicman

I am paying with a CC.  That C Note is for tips.  ;D

Stephen1

Welcome to Canada MM . Remember that sign on the highway that says 90 is not MPH.  :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

I am having some difficulty getting WiFi so I'll have to do my pictures & videos later.  We made the 274 ferry trip to Prince Rupert yesterday and are now on our way to Hyder, AK.

Magicman

Maybe I can put up a few pictures, but no videos......It was a good idea, but with this slow WiFi, they will not upload.  :-\ 

Anyway, we will be here in Hyder, AK for the next 3 days.  We will leave here on the 31st for our planned rendezvous in Terrace.   

Bandmill Bandit

IF you would like I can give you an alternate route from Stewart south to Terrace. It is a bit shorter and has a bit of gravel but is a good road and Has some of the regions most spectacular scenery through an ancient volcanic field. Some good camping in there and hiking too.

The name of the road is  the Nisga'a Hiway. Think it is provincial Hiway 113. IF I remember right that is the same road that goes past Percy's place just north of Terrace. It's not a long drive (about 60 Km) so you can take it pretty leisurely drive but weather can be a factor.

My Son said you can use wifi at his place to get some decent speeds. He's got fibre in the house and gets stupid fast upload rates that are 4 or 5 times my Dload rates and I got a good connection.  

Stewart is a great place to spend a day as well.        

Magicman

We drove across Montana today and are now in Sturgis, SD, and guess what is going on??

Southside

You going to enter into the arm wrestling competition?  :D Could be worse, when we lived in Oregon I decided to take a short cut through the Nevada desert one trip and ran right smack into the Burning Man festival... 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

A few pictures:

I met Percy in Terrace.

He showed me his friend's sawmill.

That had a band this big.

Percy with his LT70.

He also showed me his flipping and edging operation.
Thanks Percy for your Hospitality.

Then it was on down the highway to meet another FF member.

BandmillBandit and I coordinated a meeting midway between our travels and spent a much too short of time visiting.

Wall Drugstore and the Mitchell, SD Corn Palace today.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on August 04, 2019, 10:00:50 PM
We drove across Montana today and are now in Sturgis, SD, and guess what is going on??
79th Rally!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

If you go across SD stop in Chamberlain at the indian museum at St Josephs school.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

We are now in Branson, MO, for a couple of days.  I have been dealing with little/no internet service so maybe I can catch up a bit:

We made a re-visit to the Mitchell, SD, Corn Palace a few days ago.  The theme of the displays are changed every few years.  All of the displays are made entirely with 12 different colors of ears of corn.  These are grown in separate corn fields to maintain the purity of the varieties.

At the present time the outside is military themed.

This is Mitchell's city auditorium and sports arena, but for now it is their souvenir display area.  A close up of some of the displays:

Notice that the ears of corn are longer than the brick to get an idea of the size if the displays.

Magicman

We spent one night in Missouri's "Van Meter" State Park and camped in a grove of (very valuable) Walnut trees.

That's us in the background.

And here is PatD in front of a 150½" circumference Walnut tree that would be almost 48" diameter DOB, which would make it ~45" DIB.  :o   Missouri's Champion Walnut tree is 175" DOB circumference.  Yes, those are all Walnut trees in the background.   :)

Magicman

We visited the same Cathedral Grove that florida visited several weeks ago.

There are some awesome trees.

Guess that you could even get lost in there!!

Magicman

Whataboutdafood??  ???

A seafood platter containing Dungeness Crab, Mussels, Halibut, Salmon, Shrimp, Corn, & Potatoes.

Dungeness crab, Cream Cheese, & Parmesan Cheese toasted on Melba Toast.  food6

Breaded and fried Halibut.

Grilled Halibut from the "Bus".

The World Famous "Bus" in Hyder Alaska.  (Google it)

Shrimp Tacos.

Magicman

Back in Reply #46 I planted a US Flag in Mt. Rainier, so I figured....

That I could plant an Alaskan Flag on my Forestry Forum "Tree".  :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2019, 06:46:14 PMWhataboutdafood?? ???
So, did you two eat all of that for lunch or dinner? ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rubberfish

Great pics and stories. Kind of cool to follow. Thank you  :)
Bob

Magicman

Actually most of our "big" meals are eaten in the afternoon and serve as both our noon and evening meal.  It's usually peanut butter and crackers, etc. at night.

It's going to take me a while to work through some of my pictures because I have videos to accompany them.  Here are a few more:

We visited Myra Gold Mine and the attendant gave us an autographed core sample.

I spotted this bicycle front wheel and handlebar sticking out from beneath a fallen rock.  :o

But the only thing recoverable was the rider's boots.  :-X

Superman still has a place to change clothes in Hyder.

I was told that this was a Hoary Marmot.  ??  ???

You can get "Hyderized" in Hyder, but we didn't.

I told PatD that she was getting a bit too close to this bear......  ::)

But she got away by the seat of her britches.   :o

Banjo picker

You are kidding about the last pict. I hope.  We did have one swat the mirror of the car once in the smokeys but we were in the car.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Yup, Disclaimer:  The bear was real, the scratches were real, but neither the bear nor lady were injured while taking the picture.  :)

Magicman

We are home after driving 7475 miles plus another ~370 miles floating on ferries.  

Our furtherest distance from home was at Salmon Glacier which is ~30 miles North of Hyder AK.

Looking North from the toe.

I wish that I had taken a video, but....

Another view.  That is a lotta ice.  :o

PatD admiring the Fire Weeds with Salmon Glacier in the background.

redbeard

Good too hear you made it home safe n sound, sure was alot of water and roads traveled.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Thanks Guys, I still have pictures/videos to post but right now it's unloading the camper, washing, stowing, and then reloading all of the sawmilling gear. 

Yes, I head out to saw for my 230 mile road trip customer Tuesday sawing dirty logs into beams.  Then ERC, 60 miles away and Red Oak, 50 miles away. 

Work, work, work, and it's Hot, hot, hot!!!  smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop whiteflag_smiley

hacknchop

Thank you for sharing your trip with us I found it very interesting and I learned some about Glaciers as well.:P 
Often wrong never indoubt

Stephen1

Nice to be back safe and sound after a great Trip. I'm waiting for the ferry ride pictures.

Magicman

I am trying to upload waterfalls and fish pictures to YouTube now.  For some reason there is no audio on the fish pictures?  The waterfalls did fine.

Not too much on the ferry trip because it was overcast.  The pictures are all on the other camera and I haven't looked at them yet.  Hopefully there will be some.  We saw 8 Whales but I didn't get any "tail flipping" pictures. 

Magicman

A Totem Pole in Port Hardy, Vancouver Island.

Myra Falls several miles South of Port Alberni.

IMG 6365 - YouTube

Elk Falls South of Cambell River.

IMG 6353 - YouTube

Chum Salmon spawning in Fish Creek, Hyder, AK.

Videos below but I have no idea why the audio is weak?  It's plenty loud on the camera. ??

IMG 6431 - YouTube

IMG 6423 - YouTube

Banjo picker

Glad you made it home safe and sound.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ljohnsaw

Interesting.  I'm kind of surprised that there weren't bears in there eating the salmon.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

The salmon run was a bit late and had only begun that week.  One grizzly was coming each day but we missed seeing her by about a half hour the day we arrived and she came about 1½ hours after we left on the second day.  She had not come when we left at 6:30 on the third day, but probably did after we left.  As the numbers of salmon increased, the bear activity should increased.  The Pink Salmon just started to arrive while we were there but had not started their spawning activity.

I only saw two spawned out and dead salmon.

Jeff

The audio works on my computer on all the videos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

Audio works in Frankenmuth. Thanks for your pics and video's.  Neat trip.  Glad you made it home safely. Your picture was used at the Pig Roast.   ;D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

On the Port Alberni highway there is a fence alongside a rocky creek that has become a favorite place for "Love Locks".  Pad locks and everything imaginable are attached to the fence so Pat & I added ours:   smiley_love

Here is our lock with the fence in the background.

A closeup of the brass tag on the lock.

Had to search to find an empty spot.

It's attached.

Can you see it?

How about now?  It should be easy to spot.  :)

thecfarm

Probably got started with one lock!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!