iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln vents

Started by D6c, November 09, 2019, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Trying to get back to finishing up my Virginia Tech style solar kiln....other things have gotten in the way for months.

My question is about what type of lower vents you put in your kiln.  My upper vents are built with a sliding door that has a rain cap and flashing to keep out rain.
I was looking for ideas for something a little simpler for the lower vents that will still be weather tight, and preferably adjustable from the outside.

Any ideas?

btulloh

I put mine on the inside to avoid that problem.  I put a handle on the outside, so they're still adjustable from outside.  I also put an overhang on the front to lessen the weather effects.  Some people have just not worried about it at all and they seem to be fine.  Maybe I overthought it, or underthought it,  but it's worked out fine and I'm happy with the vents.  I suspect most people are happy with theirs too.

HM126

YellowHammer

I use 2 of the $15 black plastic sliding foundation vents from Lowes.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

D6c

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 09, 2019, 06:28:01 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check those out.
Btullo,
I like the overhang... might do that.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The 1/4 scale model solar kiln I have has the vent design that btulloh has except they are on the outside.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

D6c

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 09, 2019, 06:28:01 PM
YH,
My local Lowes doesn't stock foundation vents...is this about what you're talking about?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedvent-Crawl-Space-Foundation-Air-Vent-Cover-New-Any-Quantity-Gray/254179865149?hash=item3b2e4cf23d:g:1BYAAOSwyGhbdk2e

Stopped at Menards but all they had were automatic vents and they're sized to fit an 8x16 cement block opening, which would be too wide for 16" stud spacing.

btulloh

I had trouble sourcing foundation vents that I liked and would fit. Maybe the trick is to surface mount them. I gave up and made the sliders. A little more time but essentially free. Trade offs. 
HM126

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Nebraska

Don't know if these would work but I had contemplated recycling the 2 inch plastic ball valves from the chemtote tanks I cut firewood into. Just need several.  A person could use a 3 inch pvc  ball valve with an elbow  covered with screen pointed down. Just cut the hole and use sealer to hold in place.  Might not be as econominical but weatherproof and infinitely  adjustable. Just something I have thought about  during less busy times at work and just read this thread.

Thank You Sponsors!