iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starter problem with 372 XP

Started by WV_hillbilly, January 28, 2005, 08:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

I hope someone can    help me out with this problem before  I do something drastic . The recoil starter sometimes will not rewind the rope .  It is an intermitent thing so it is frustrating at times . When it does it I take the housing off and manually rewind the string . usually this will cure the problem but not always . Some days it will act up every time I try to start the saw . These are the days when I would like to wrap it around a tree . I took it to the dealer and was told there is nothing wrong with it . AS usual it wouldn't do it then . The starter housing was replaced alittle over a year ago due to a malfunction that wrapped the rope around the cooling fins and broke the tab that holds the end of the recoil spring .
Hillbilly

jokers

Hi Hillbilly,

Is there ice in your recoil? That would explain why there was no problem at the shop. Maybe it needs some lube on the spring?

Russ

WV_hillbilly

There isn't an ice problem as it will do it right out of a heated garage . I don't know if there is a way to wind up the spring some more or not . I haven't taken the spool and spring off during these troubles . I don't have much saw mechanic experience yet . Not bashing Husky's but my 2 Stihl's haven't given me much touble in 18 years other than worn out sprockets, chains , bars and the 041 needing a carb rebuild . the 372  is only 16 month's old .
Hillbilly

devo

When the recoil dosen't wind the the cord in, does it take it part way in, or none at all? If it is just leaving a little hanging out the your probably right, it does need to be wound a little tighter.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

WV_hillbilly

Sometimes it will leave 2/3 of it hanging out . Other times it will leave only about 2 "  .  Sometimes when you rev the saw up it will rewind some too.  All I know is it's an agravating thing . I'm seriously thinking of sending it down the road when I get my new 066 .
Hillbilly

Lucky

If your ready to trash that 372 then send it my way...kidding.   Hillbilly, thats a good saw and probably needs a simple fix.  Check with your husky dealer and make sure you have the right length and proper diameter starter cord.  Then take the recoil apart.   Inside there's a coiled spring that could be hanging up or somehow binding.  If the dealer won't help you, then you'll have to dive in and figure it out on your own.  Good luck and let us know what happens. John

ehp

not sure but it sounds like the spring is coming undone, make sure the end of the spring that joins the outside cover's end is not jumping out of its holder , if so you may just need a new spring as long as the cover is not damaged where the spring sits in

Tom

That has happened to me several times.  The spring comes loose from tab that holds it and allows it to unwind.   I noticed wear and a straightend spring at the tab the last time I went in there.  I bent the end of the spring a little to make sure I was getting a positive lock and haven't had the problem again.

There is a slot in the rewind spool.  You can use that to pass the chord through as you turn the spool against the spring and that is an easy way of taking up a little slack in the end of the rope.   

Corley5

Some Rust Reaper on the recoil spring and other parts will do wonders.  The recoil on my old johnny red acted like that.  I gave it shot of WD-40 when the rope was out and without even touching it it recoiled on its own :o
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jokers

I`ve got some Rust Reaper and it is an excellent product. Good point Corley5.

Russ

WV_hillbilly

I think I'll tear it down  lube it up and try it again . but it does git frustrating at times . As far as the dealer he seems reluctant to service it under warantee cause I bought it else where . They did fix the tore up starter a year ago but it took for ever . I don't want to start a bashing but  I tried to buy the saw from him but he couldn't / wouldn't get me one when I needed one . So the reluctance has cost him anymore of my money as I will go back to Stihls and a dealer who will take care of my needs / wants .
Hillbilly

Gypo Logger

Hillbilly, although there is nothing wrong with buying a new chainsaw, that 372 is a real good saw.
Look at the bright side. It is these problems that make us good mechanics. Generaly the starter side is pretty foolproof and may have gotten that way from lack of use or lots of pine sap on the rope, but figuring it out will make you enjoy using your saw more.
John

chet

I don't us any lube on recoil parts as it tends to collect sawdust and gum things up. Unless something is broken, I'm sure if you cleaned it up real good with brake cleaner, and adjusted spring tension, it will work fine. Also make sure the knot securing your recoil rope to the spool is not rubbing on anything.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WV_hillbilly

Thanks everyone. I got the problem fixed . I took it apart , cleaned it up , wound the spring like Tom said , put it back  together , and it is working fine . Yes Lottarocka it is a good running saw  when I could get it started . I get frustrated when  something is pratically new and you have to wrench on it .
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!