iDRY Vacuum Kilns

GPS for you cell phone.

Started by D Hagens, September 12, 2010, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

K I did an extensive search here and I can't find anything on GPS for cell phones. I'm pretty sure there must be someone here that has it on their phone so any help would be great!
What I need is software to download for a Samsung SGH-A886, searched online, called the service provider and nothing! The phone comes with GPS but the provider doesn't have up to date software for it. Online there's a few places but it seems that most of it is crap.
Getting frustrated as this should be simple right? ::)

Warbird

Hmmm.  I'd have to search around for a good solution for you.  Anyone else know?

By the way, be careful installing a GPS on your phone.  Cell phones are notoriously insecure and having a working GPS could allow folks to pinpoint your location.  Yes, it's unlikely.  I'm not trying to scare you, just make sure you are aware the possibility exists.  Personally, I can't stand 'smart phones' and refuse to use one.

D Hagens

good point warbird, nevercan be too careful!
k i have more to say but im on my cell and typing on a cell while stuck in traffic sucks! lol

Magicman

Also some of those smart phones will hide the GPS co-ordinates in your pictures' data.  Imagine someone posting a picture of his favorite fishing spot or hunting honey hole.  Anyone viewing those pictures will know the secret.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

I recently read a warning about people posting personal pictures taken with a cell phone. Seems that cell phone pictures have a GPS location embedded in the picture and you can be found by a stalker using the code. Especially good to know for girls on Facebook that can be located by predators.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

LeeB

All digital phones are trackable.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Warbird

Yup.  But not all digital phones have software that hides locations and pictures unbeknownst to their users, that can later be accessed by Bad People.

SwampDonkey

Oh my word, that thought of espionage and molestation.  zzzz_smiley

The possibility exists I suppose, but I can lock myself in a bunker for the duration. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

I'm not saying folks should lock themselves in a bunker and not live life.  Just trying to make folks aware so that if they are one of the unfortunate ones, it will hurt a little less because they were prepared.

clearcut

The Samsung SGH-A886, like most recent cell phones, has a GPS chip used for Enhanced 911 (E911) so that if you call 911 from a cell phone, emergency personnel can locate you rather than the billing address for the phone. Many manufacturers also use the GPS chip for navigation and location applications. If you are concerned about someone knowing your location, the only way to disable this feature reliably is to remove battery from the phone, or not carry one at all.

If a device has a camera and a GPS (most cell phones with cameras) you should assume that location information is embedded in any photograph taken, unless you intentionally turn this feature off. It not hidden or secret, it is located in the EXIF data that exists in all JPEG and TIFF files. Most modern image editing programs will show the EXIF data. There are programs available that can edit or strip out this data. There should be a setting that turns GPS location reporting off. Like any technology, you have to determine if the risks of using it's features outweighs the rewards. You may be the one that needs the GPS location to relocate that sweet sweet fishing hole a few years in the future.

Back to the original question, Samsung claims that this phone supports turn by turn navigation software, but the online manual does not mention it nor how to access it. There does not appear to be an application store that supports this phone. If there is it should be accessible from the phone itself, and possibly only through the phone itself. You should contact the store where you purchased the phone and have them point out how to access these features. Sometimes you need to contact several customer service representatives to find one that actually knows how to answer your question. It appears that this model is only available in Canada.

If you absolutely need a particular feature, the current well developed cell phone operating systems with extensive application stores are iOS (iPhone) and Android. You may be better served by purchasing a phone that uses one of these operating systems. If you specifically need a GPS, then a stand alone GPS might be a better option.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

D Hagens

Quote from: clearcut on September 14, 2010, 01:08:34 PM
The Samsung SGH-A886, like most recent cell phones, has a GPS chip used for Enhanced 911 (E911) so that if you call 911 from a cell phone, emergency personnel can locate you rather than the billing address for the phone. Many manufacturers also use the GPS chip for navigation and location applications. If you are concerned about someone knowing your location, the only way to disable this feature reliably is to remove battery from the phone, or not carry one at all.

If a device has a camera and a GPS (most cell phones with cameras) you should assume that location information is embedded in any photograph taken, unless you intentionally turn this feature off. It not hidden or secret, it is located in the EXIF data that exists in all JPEG and TIFF files. Most modern image editing programs will show the EXIF data. There are programs available that can edit or strip out this data. There should be a setting that turns GPS location reporting off. Like any technology, you have to determine if the risks of using it's features outweighs the rewards. You may be the one that needs the GPS location to relocate that sweet sweet fishing hole a few years in the future.

Back to the original question, Samsung claims that this phone supports turn by turn navigation software, but the online manual does not mention it nor how to access it. There does not appear to be an application store that supports this phone. If there is it should be accessible from the phone itself, and possibly only through the phone itself. You should contact the store where you purchased the phone and have them point out how to access these features. Sometimes you need to contact several customer service representatives to find one that actually knows how to answer your question. It appears that this model is only available in Canada.

If you absolutely need a particular feature, the current well developed cell phone operating systems with extensive application stores are iOS (iPhone) and Android. You may be better served by purchasing a phone that uses one of these operating systems. If you specifically need a GPS, then a stand alone GPS might be a better option.

Yup and I think that's where it's all coming down to, contacting the store and the manufacture as online there seems to be nothing. From what I understand is there's GPS on the phone it's activating it that's the problem.
I had the same problem with the other cell I have and it always came down to the fact that the phones were too new and that there was nothing available to download.
What ticks me off though is that my wifes phone is new but it costs a fortune and everything works great on hers! :D

LeeB

Sometimes you have to pay for what you get.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.