iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got a new cell phone

Started by hackberry jake, April 03, 2013, 05:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I had an upgrade and went and got me a new phone. I check the forestry forum on my phone more than anything else. I got a phone that uses the new 4g lte service. This thing is faster than any computer ive been on! Its amazing what they are doing with technology now days. My phone has now replaced my gps, my computer, my alarm clock, my digital camera, and my notepad. I can get tv shows and movies on it too supposedly so it might replace my satellite tv.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Cell phones now have lots of applications on them, mine is a very simple one, but it has FM Radio, and a flash light on it too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

That's a nice thing to have in your hand, with all that new technology just a few clicks away. I'm sure it will come in handy. One of the things I like most about our property is no cell service.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lowpolyjoe

Today's phones are amazing.   I've been using a smart phone for probably 5 or 6 years now... using it for calendar events / alarms and little reminders, ideas, project notes... it's great since it's almost always in my pocket.   

Always having the internet with you is incredibly useful.  The downside is my attention span has now shrunk down to compensate  :D  I can't stand on line at the store for 2 seconds or sit at a red light without checking my email or a forum or something.   

Roger2561

About 3 years ago when I purchased my first cell phone, the sales rep asked what I wanted it to do.  I said all I want it to do is call when I want it to and ring when someone calls me.  Oh people can text me, but everyone knows that if they expect an answer, they had better come and see me in person or at the very least call me.  I absolutely refuse to text people.  And, everyone knows that if I'm behind the wheel and they call don't expect me to answer because I flatly refuse to talk on it while I'm driving.  There are too many distractions as it is and I don't need another one.  My nephew called me old because of the rules I live by....but I'm alive to hear him pick on me.    Roger
Roger

breederman

Text is much faster for many things than a call, they are the cats meow in noisy environments and will often go through when a phone call wont due to poor cell service. I use it a lot.
Together we got this !

Bibbyman

I've had a Samsung Infuse smart phone for over a year.  Love it.  Hate it.  It was latest thing when I bought it but obsolete a few months later.  There are bugs that won't be fixed because the system version is no longer supported.

I use it for about every thing I'd do on a PC.  I text a lot and get a lot of text messages.  I seldom use the phone and almost never get calls.  It ring the other day and Mary answered it.  I didn't remember what my ring song sounded like.

I take pictures and video.  About every post I make is made from my phone.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

steamsawyer

Quote from: Roger2561 on April 03, 2013, 08:31:03 PM
I said all I want it to do is call when I want it to and ring when someone calls me.....   I absolutely refuse to text people.  And, everyone knows that if I'm behind the wheel and they call don't expect me to answer because I flatly refuse to talk on it while I'm driving. 

Roger, I think you and I may be related...

The last time I got "upgraded"... about six years ago...  I told the sales girl the same thing.  I  also said I won't be texting either. She told me the only one they had like that has a camera in it too. I liked that idea so I went for it. Well, the first bill I get I see charges for texting that I know I did not do. It turns out that I got charged for texts I recieved and never opened... Needless to say I went back and made them an offer. Get rid of all texting, or they could have the phone back... Guess what, my phone won't text either way anymore.

I have been known to pull over to use my phone but never while driving.

I have said it before and I'll say it again... I was born in the wrong century... Just look at my sawmill.... If I could only get a steam powered phone. 8) 8)

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

No wonder you never answered my text Alan.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Texting has advantages.   My son in Minnesota keep up a running conversation by texting.  Why not just call?  Well, he's a nurse and works odd shifts and schedules. I never known when he's at work or sleeping.  So I can text any time and he can reply any time.  We often attach pictures or short video.

Some days we may exchange a couple of messages then none for a couple of days.

I won't do Facebook
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

Well DanG Bib, all my efforts on Facebook are wasted.  :D When I got mine the geek kept babbling on about all the high tech stuff I could do. I finally asked "Can I make a call?" "Uh yes" "Can I receive a call?" "Yeah" "Do I get call display and voice mail?" "Yes" " Then that is ALL I want. I don't want to text the Prime Minister or reprogram the orbiting space station. If I want to talk to somebody I will call and meet him/her for coffee or a beer.
I took some pictures then downloaded them to my 'puter using e-mail. Then I got the bill for air time. YIKES :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

trim4u2nv

Got the motorolla razr max and just installed the square up register software to take online credit cards.  These things just about replace a secretary or bookeeper.  A lot easier than carbons and imprinters and batches like the old days.

Brucer

Did you  know the cellphone is 40 years old today? Yep, the first call was placed by a Motorola engineer in New York city exactly 40 years ago.

The phone was the size of a brick and weighed 2 kilograms (4-1/2 pounds). In today's dollars it would cost about $10,000 :o.

AT&T responded to this unexpected announcement by commissioning a study to determine whether the idea would catch on. The report said it wouldn't be more than a fad, if it even got that far :D.

Eighteen years ago my stockbroker friend told me one of the dumbest things she had ever done was to let a salesman talk her into buying a cell phone. She paid $3,000 for a 3 year contract and was going to let the contract expire because she never used the darn phone.

Look at all the stuff you can do with a phone. You can send text messages, take pictures, send the pictures to your friends, use it as a calendar and/or a scheduler, use it in place of a watch, take notes, find out where you are, and on and on. And if you want to make a phone call, you can sign onto your computer and use Skype. Go figure.

Notice my emphasis on "you" above. My cell phone lets me make and receive calls. That's it ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Yesterday morning Mary was cooking the books (tax time ::)) and I was out loading up cants for market. I used the calculator function to calculate the board feet in the bundles.  When I got the load on I texted Mary with the count.  I bound the load and went in to pick up the invoice she'd made out. 
Sawing since '94

coxy

bibbyman   im with you cant stand facebook

WmFritz

I use mine as to get XM radio, wifi hot spot for my tablet,  GPS,  and weather among other stuff. My Dad gripes that my phone can do anything butt make phone calls.  :D

Last night I stopped  in to Best Buy to get my Wife a new printer. She wanted something basic that was wireless. I walked out with one that not only prints wireless from any device in the house but, also picks up the router signal and has internet  access. Now I can forward emails, documents, photos and such from my phone.  Don't know when I'll ever need to do any of that but, you never know I told her. ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

trapper

My wife and I blocked everything but talking on ours.  Dont need the extra cost.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!