iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Man of the Maple Tree

Started by Okrafarmer, March 14, 2012, 01:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I was laboring grimly through a whack of old deteriorating ambrosia maple logs today, wishing I had milled them all up a year or so ago, when who do you suppose popped out of the log? It was a funny little man, and he gave me three wishes. I'm not going to tell you what I wished for, but here is the funny little man.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Has some resemblance of a baboon. Very unique and one of the many thrills when opening a new "face" on a log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

I think he was a wood gnome. I guess he'd been locked up in there for quite a while and was very grateful to be released.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: beenthere on March 14, 2012, 02:27:09 AM
Has some resemblance of a baboon. Very unique and one of the many thrills when opening a new "face" on a log.

When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a dog, maybe a Schnauzer or something. I thought I had found some rare "dogs-eye maple"

I hope I can sell this bookmatched pair for more than average.

Okrafarmer

When finding something neat like this, I find myself marveling over how, if I had just turned the log another 5 degrees one way or the other, or not brought the blade in exactly where I did, I very likely would never have seen this, and been able to share it with everybody. Nothing is by chance, friends.  :)

Migal

:) Think that might be the addicting part not so much the sawdust but what you find under it  8) I'm Hook line and sinker and am learning what  :P book matched  is  ??? The old man looks a lot like me in the mornings till i shave for spring  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

duke

8) :Psome could say ts a image of Jesus Christ?? It is a beautiful piece of wood..

Okrafarmer

Quote from: duke on March 14, 2012, 03:31:33 AM
8) :Psome could say ts a image of Jesus Christ?? It is a beautiful piece of wood..

Well, I can't claim to know exactly what Jesus looks like, but one day I'll know.  ;) For now, I'm just supposing it looks like an old man. Those are great eyes, aren't they? They just look at you.

Tree Feller

Hey, if folks can sell an image that appears in a piece of toast, no telling what your wooden "Old Man" might bring.   :D

I think a couple of them would look great as panels in cabinet doors.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

bandmiller2

Wonder what it would look like if you ran it through the plainer.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Okrafarmer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 14, 2012, 07:43:14 AM
Wonder what it would look like if you ran it through the plainer.?? Frank C.

Good point. I better not do that, huh? An eighth of an inch down he might not look the same. Maybe he would come out looking like he'd shaved off his beard!  :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I thought that it was me there for a moment.  Spalted and everything.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

That would probably sell for quite a bit of money!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Greg Brown

That is very cool.  Were the "eyes" knots?
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

Okrafarmer

Yes, two very nicely placed knots.

Migal

I like to say that's a million dollar board (not that I would ever get that for it) Keep it for the kids and they will love it!  8) Go Build something !!!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Ianab

Man.. You've accidentally sawn an Ent!!!
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Lud

Reminds me of DanG!     He's been around long enough maybe he posed for the picture! :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LarryRB

I am just wondering if you have a book match to it?

fat olde elf

Yes WDH, DanG could be an Ent.  He also could be Gandalf himself.  He also looks a lot like Dumbeldoor in the Harry Potter books.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

terrifictimbersllc

Proof trees came frome monkeys.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jueston

WDH

So, that sly rascal has been an Ent all this time?  I guess he Ent-tended to keep this a secret  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!