iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Progress reports on mills under construction or recently completed

Started by HOGFARMER, December 18, 2007, 09:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

How about some progress reports on homemade mills under construction or recently completed.  Thanks !
Manual LT-30

jrokusek

You've probably seen this already, but here it is again.  Poured some concrete and then bolted some 6"x6" green treated timbers to the concrete.  Then bolted the angle-iron bed to the timbers.  That was the ticket to cutting good lumber.

Need to make heavier support arms for the blade guides and rig up something electric to raise and lower the head.  Other than that, I've sure had fun making sawdust!

HOGFARMER

Looking good.  Harbor Freight has small 12 volt winches which should work to raise and lower the head of your mill.  I bought one and installed it on the mill I am building and it seems to work well.  Hope to hear from some others as to their progress and what works and what doesn't.  Thanks!
Manual LT-30

scgargoyle

I've progressed from considering building my own mill to actually thinking about! ;D I picked up a really sweet Honda 2cyl. liquid cooled 13 hp motor recently- it just seems to have 'bandmill' written all over it. I'll just keep gathering stuff- I thought I found a deal on some wheels on ebay, but the shipping ($240!) was a deal-breaker. I won't actually need a mill for about 2 more years- that should be about right the way my projects usually go!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Mr Mom

Started and almost done need to get some steel for the bed and track.
Than just put it togeather.
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

rbarshaw

I'll be going to a local equipment auction this Saturday :D to see what I can find to use with my mill,  :D I'll post on what I find next week.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

bedway

I started mine about this time last year. Hooked it to my kubota and pulled it out of the garage in spring. Spent a few weeks with it (playing) sawing  a few hundred bdft. of wood. Then back to the garage for some further debugging and complete disasembly. Took me a couple months to get it brush painted. Back out in Sept. and sawed up about another 500 bdft. Ive got maybe another 5000 bdft of logs to saw but i retired it for the winter. My plans over the winter are to add power up/down for the head. Im adding a winch for loading large logs and to turn cants. Ive pulled the axle and springs, i need to add a leaf to the springs. To those of you considering the undertakeing of building a mill, i definately recommend it! Its surely not easy, and is much more involved then it appears. You gain a lot of understanding and repect for others who have undertook this challenge. I only wish i had gotton involved in this endeavor years ago. Being nearly 61 i dont have quite the drive nor ambition i had at 40 ;D Being in a small community word gets around you have a mill and people are allready asking questions.  ;) Ill post some of the latest pics i have of my progress as time permits,,,,,,,bedway

scrout

Jrokusek, you have the exact color scheme I am thinking about!
I have the Linn 190A sawhead kit and have been collecting other parts.
1950's era travel trailer for the frame and axle, $125.
Raiding all my friends scrap steel piles...
Already went ahead and ordered a Bodine from Surplus Supply for $90.
Raise and lower ACME from Enco, 1x5 6 feet for $20 each, cheap!
Steel casters from Caster City, $10 each.
7.5 horse single phase electric power, $400.
I am off after Christmas, so cut, grind, weld, paint.....not necessarily in that order....

HOOF-ER

Lack of progress........ Just had to vent. Bought a Kawasaki motor off e-bay. Had a friend look at it Sun to help me figure the wiring. Been dying to run it ! Wired it yesterday poured oil in it. Pour antifreeze in and it ran out as fast as was pouring in. >:( These were supposed to be factory recall with low hours(75). Motor was replaced with another. Emailed dude that sold. He said call him. Told him that the rad had a leak and it was on the inside up under the fan shroud. (couldn't be shipping damage).Asked if I would remove and take to shop and get estimate. Took it off, 1 fan blade is gone. The blade tore into the top and bottom. Don't think it leaks on the bottom. The question is was it run with little or no water? >:( REALLY FRUSTRATING. You would think someone would have noticed a small problem like this. :-\ He seems to be willing to help, don't know what to do now :-\ :-\ :-\ any thoughts other than I am an idiot for buying off e-bay? :-\ Anybody have trouble with a large purchase off e-bay?
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

HOOF-ER

PS- thanks for letting me VENT. I feel a little better now.

Firebass

Quote from: HOOF-ER on January 09, 2008, 11:09:37 PM
PS- thanks for letting me VENT. I feel a little better now.

Man! I'd need a bit of vent'n myself.  How's the rest of the mill going?  I brought my mill indoors and have been preping it for it's new face.  Still not sure what color, but I'm thinking I might go with SNOW white.  Anyone know of a white mill?  Painted my log dogs white last year and I think they're quite nice that color.

cantcutter

Hoof-er
That really sucks. I have heard of other people having simular problems with ebay items, Mostly chainsaws. If I were to buy and engine off of their I would look for one that is complete with machine. A snowmobile engine would be great because they are self contained. 

HOOF-ER

I am still getting my parts together. Orderd the clutch this week. I can't wait to burn some rods. Going to the radiator shop this morning, see what they have to say. A white mill would look good I think. My problem is keeping the paint on . Always seem to get all scratched.
Should have my head examined. I had a chainsaw problem from e-bay. The  thing had list of problems as long as your arm. It did run :D I guess they think thats all that matters. He refunded me half the cost . Finally got a decent saw out of it.

scgargoyle

I would take a handfull of sawdust, some bark, the dirt in your yard, and some sprinkles of rust. Mix it all together, and have the paint store match it. It'll always look the same!  :D :D :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Woodchuck53

Evening, yep having heck right now with an Ebay seller. Great product just not what they had posted and am trying to get a refund. Am currently rebuilding a circular mill and promised my wife and myself that I wouln't run the thing till I have it painted. She didn't much like the patina on the old one. Vintage rust, asstorted blood red and more welding silver. These colors always worked for me but as I am gearing up to retire she wants things completed so their will be less down time. Of course that translates into more time with her. After 32 years you would think she would know me. I will be building a band rig after this and am really enjoying all that I have read from you guys. Got to run, have a great one. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

scrout

Sorry, long time since a progress report.   I will post some pics as soon as I figure out the gallery. Here are some on Flikr:

This is a Linn Lumber sawhead kit and I duplicated most of his carriage design. 18 horse electric start Briggs, 19 inch wheels, clutch, ACME thread for vertical with 120vac electric for now.
Started all this back in December, this is my first try with metal, welding, etc.
This is a real knotty cedar I picked up from a tree that was taken out at my kids school. I quickly realized I do not have adequate log handling capability, what a workout getting just a few sticks home. Some wood is going back to the school for 3rd graders to make bird houses, the rest into a outside sauna.
Cheers.

bandmiller2

Moving ahead with great vigor on my circular mill project,basically carrage done, husk and feed almost done,big pile of sand and stone for concrete.Way home from work today going to pick up phone pole sections for posts.Hogfarmer how are you coming with your belsaw don't loose the faith and go band,although its OK to have boath.Frank

c.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

HOGFARMER

Don't worry about me lossing the faith.  Have managed to finish planting all the crops and spraying them.  Now it is my time to work on the mill.  Have decided to auger holes below frost line, pour concrete in the bottom then set treated 6"X6" posts for a frame to set the steel mill frame on.  Looks like it would be easier and cheaper that pouring concrete piers.  What do you think, will this work?  Thanks!
Manual LT-30

bandmiller2

Hogfarmer,that is what I'am doing,it worked fine on my old mill.I'am using sections of phone pole because they are available and will last as long as this duffer needs them,in anouther 20 yrs. I'll be filling depends not lumber orders.If a feller is planning a mill site for the long haul it would be better to use concrete piers.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!