iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tree to ID -

Started by btulloh, May 10, 2019, 02:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

All my life I knew what this was - but maybe not  . . .

HM126

Don P

Southside

That's exactly what I said to my computer before I saw Don's response. @WDH showed me a bunch of them at Jakes last month.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Clearly a water oak. Thanks.

Ncsu link has good info. Also found a WDH post from 2007 that went into great detail about variations due to habitat. Very informative.

———

I got some bad info a long time ago.

HM126

WDH

I used to expound on this stuff in my younger, more foolish years :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

You did some pretty good expounding last month.  ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

That Caveman was the expoundiferous one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Those leaf pictures are perfect representations of what water oak should look like but often they are more variable, especially on new growth.  My middlest daughter (former FFA forestry team member) just read my post over my shoulder and began to mock me.  No respect, I say.

The water oak will also have small tufts of pubescence (hair) between the veins on the back side of the leaves-otherwise they will be smooth.  The new growth will usually have bristle tips on the leaves. The leaves become entire as they mature to look like the ones posted by Btulloh, no points or teeth.  Water oaks, like others in the red oak group will have multiple buds at the termination of each branch.

I cut a relatively large water oak down and cut it into pieces that my tractor could lift.  The butt log was streaming water out at a rate that allowed me to fill a solo cup in a minute or two.  Being curious, I drank it.  For those who are wondering, it was none too good; very bitter.

Sometimes post oak leaves will resemble the shape of water oak leaves but the back side of post oak leaves are fuzzy (pubescent) and will adhere to a cotton shirt.

WDH, Sticks and stones may.... ;D
Caveman

Southside

I am curious @btulloh what were you told it was?  Of course prior to April I would have guessed something along the line of SYP  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Live oak. By a trusted authority. More than one actually.
HM126

btulloh

Neither are normally found around here. The limbs sort of look like live oak so it seemed plausible.

There's no pin oak right here but north of the river there's lots of it.  Just ten miles.
HM126

Southside

We have pin oak down this way.  Now you have me curious, did your tree keep its leaves all year?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

No - it didn't keep its leaves.  Should have made me wonder I s'pose, but I'm just not that tuned in to live oak.

Maybe the pin oaks don't like to grow between the Appomattox and the James. ;)  I don't recall seeing pin oaks up and down Rt 60, but then again there might be a lot I haven't noticed.  The bark tends to stand out, but only if I'm paying attention.

I'll have to ask the state forester about the pin oak distribution the next time I see him.  Problem is he stays so busy now that I don't see him as often as I used to.  His area keeps expanding.

There are quite a few of the water oaks here, but they are all around the edge of the field.  I can't recall seeing one in the woods.  Most are fairly small - 6-8 inches.  The one in the picture is the largest - maybe 12-13" or so.  We had a large nursery on our west flank for a hundred years.  Over the years the birds have brought over some things that weren't native. 
HM126

caveman

Btulloh,
sometimes the water oaks and live oaks can be a little challenging to differentiate.  A few ways to tell them apart:
-the leaves of the live oak are revolute, or curl at the edges-think live oak, life boat 
-the leaves of the live oak, when they mature, are much more leathery feeling
-water oak leaves are textured a lot like northern red oak, shumard oak, laurel oak and white oak
-color is usually the last and least reliable leaf characteristic but the leaves of the live oak will typically be a much darker green than those of water oaks
-water oak bark is not as rough or fissured as live oak bark.  water oak bark is similar to laurel oak and shumard oak bark while live oak bark is perfect to scratch one's itchy back on

example of live oak bark (gate included pun)

Caveman

WDH

Water oak leaves will be basically the same color green on the top and bottom.  Live oak leaves will be deep glossy green on top, but the underside is a very dull greenish brown.  Very striking color difference.

The bark on large live oaks gets decidedly knobby. 

Southside

Apparently the bark also gets quite gatey too.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Next time someone asks me how to ID live oak, I will say that sometimes it has a big gate sticking out of it :D.

btulloh

HM126

caveman

English teacher to student: Use the word irony in a sentence.
Student: That live oak wood be irony.
Caveman

btulloh

We're just about ready to work in a food reference . . .
HM126

Southside

Landowner to sawyer: There is no metal in this log....
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

moodnacreek

That ain't pin oak. Pin oak is a dirty word to me.

LeeB

Quote from: btulloh on May 11, 2019, 08:23:06 AM
We're just about ready to work in a food reference . . .
Live oak make excellent bbq wood.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!