iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6-8", 4/4, kilned Black Walnut and cherry prices?

Started by SwampDonkey, November 23, 2007, 10:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Just trying to get a feel for 6-8" stock, 4/4, kilned black walnut and cherry pricing around the country. Has anyone exported any to Canada? I know exporting wood ups the $price$, so it would be great if anyone has had any experience exporting walnut and cherry. Oh, for FAS, Select, and #1 common.

Thanks all.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

100 - 300 bf type of thing.

beenthere, if I was importing wood I would definitely take whole trailer loads. I wouldn't waste anyones time otherwise.

I'm just thinking mostly of folks that drop by to purchase some of your wood on hand. For anyone exporting wood, I just want a feel for what the wholesalers are paying, I know there is a mark-up for the guy coming by for a few boards, only stands to reason. Keyword being 'reason' here or reasonable. ;)

A lot of lumber priced at $900/th with a markup of $6000/th for small quantities is not reasonable. Talking kilned rough wood here and not molded, planed and sanded stuff.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gdingee

Bill,

I have some cherry been sawn since fall 2006. It is random width and length. Som eof it is stuff purchased from CVWPA wood yard- # 2 stuff but sawed nicely.

Know anyone who wants any?

SwampDonkey

Yup!! Me!

You around the shop Saturday?  ;D

Got any butternut? I'm running low. Had a lot on the farm, but we sold the farm. So, she's no touch.  I got some on my place, but it's going to be a long time to get logs. ::)

WIwoodworker

Hi SwampDonkey. Here in WI is sell Walnut from $3bf for 1c to $4.50bf for S&B.  Cherry is $3bf 1c and $5bf for S&B.

Good luck in your search. What is everyone else selling walnut and cherry for?

Peterson 9" WPF

SwampDonkey

Aroostooksawyer

Here in Northern Maine I sell Butternut and cherry $3.50 a board foot.Lots of nice butternut swampdonkey.

SwampDonkey

oakiemac

My prices on select and better walnut and cherry are just slightly lower then WIwoodworkers. I have exported 300-400bf of walnut and cherry to a guy up in B.C there is some extra cost and a GST charge from the Canadian gov. Shipping adds a dollar or so to the price.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

SwampDonkey

Just so you know I wasn't left hanging.  ;D I got some select black walnut today and a few pieces of select cherry for $6/bf. Kilned of course. Seems like a slim profit margin, can't complain though.  ;)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D Next time I handle black walnut, I gotta remember the gloves. I never seen a wood send so many splinters in my hand ever.  :D :D

I gotta complain about something.  ;D

Sparty

As a woodworker buying very small quantities, I have been paying $5 for walnut and $5-$6 for cherry.  Wide, thick walnut goes for $7-$10 per bd ft.

SwampDonkey

Were I got it, it comes as random widths, all same price. Select of course. I don't like my lumber wider than 10 inches, prefer 6. Gotta watch the orientation of each piece, afraid of cupping.  ;)

The walnut comes from Ohio and the cherry from Pennsylvania.

Of course price varied by thickness because they have 8/4, 6/4, 5/4 cherry and walnut as well as 4/4.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

Ummm........no

Well maybe when the table is done. ;D

Norm

The reason that you're getting so many splinters in the black walnut is the kiln drying. I only air dry mine and have not noticed it to be any worse than cherry which I never kiln dry either. I kiln dry the maples to preserve color and the oaks if I'm cutting at the wrong time of year for air drying.

The next time you need walnut SD let me know and I'll send you some that will not cause splinters. It is the most common tree on our farm and at this moment I have 100 red squirrels out planting next years crop for me. :D

SwampDonkey

I can live with the splinters, I was just complaining for the sake of complaining. ;D I wanted kilned lumber for my table. Norm I'm sure you have great lumber, no question about it. But, it's too far away to be realistic about it for small quantities.  ;) If the safe at the house ever gets too full to close I'll stuff some $$ into a satchel and be on my way over.  :D

Furby

Stop by my place with that satchel on your way to Norm and Patty's! :)

solidwoods

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 07, 2007, 02:25:13 PM
Just so you know I wasn't left hanging.  ;D I got some select black walnut today and a few pieces of select cherry for $6/bf. Kilned of course. Seems like a slim profit margin, can't complain though.  ;)

What in the world are paying for logs????
6$bf  Slim margin???

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

SwampDonkey

As per the topic, kilned dried lumber shipped 1000 miles.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!