iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak trip.

Started by htpd43, September 03, 2009, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

htpd43

Hi everybody.
So I got this trailer last year with the intentions of using to haul firewood with. I bought stake pockets and will, at some point, weld them on. I have stacked firewood on it and strapped it down with no problems. I have done most of my own cutting, but every once in a while it's already done and all I have to do is pick it up. Then I started seeing some milling pictures and videos on this site and I am dying to try it. I've been trying to get some wood from a few tree companies in the area but they usually tell me they have tons and then never follow through with letting me have it. I've been able to score some nice cedar and I think I finally managed to get one of the guys in the area to give me a steady supply of whatever he takes down. The first tree I got from him is red oak.
Yesterday I went and met with him and the guy was nice enough to load it with a crane. He even told me that if I was willing to help him load in the future I could just drive the truck home and unload rather than having to use the trailer.
So I got loaded up and went on my way. My 25 minute ride home turned into about 4 hours becasue, of course, I really loaded the trailer and managed to get a flat on the way home. The truck jack was not strong enough to lift the trailer with the weight so I had to call a tow truck. The driver was able to get the flat bed under the stands at the back of the tilt bed. Between that and a jack we were able to get the old tire off and put a new one on. of course I live in a hilly area and no matter which route I take it means coming up a hill but some are easier to climb than others. With my 92 1500 chevy short bed pulling this load there were a few spots that I thought I was not gonna make it over, but I did. I got myself about 500 feet from my driveway when the rim came off the hub in the middle of a 90 degree curve. It's a two piece rim and the rim got damaged.
I thought i was done for but some of my neighbors stopped and with a team effort, I was able to get the good rubber onto the old rim with the flat. I finally got the trailer off of the road and onto the property.
What should have taken me 1 1/2-2 hr to get to the wood and back turned into 6 hours of frustration.
I still dont know how bad I hurt the hub/brake assembly on the side that hit ground but the plus side is that I got to take home two clear pieces of red oak and two knotty ones. I still haven't gotten a chance to see if the knotty ones are worth doing anything with.
I can't wait to get started with milling. I am working towards a decent mill that a novice can use, but i don't know if I want to wait that long to start. I've been thinking about getting an alaskan mill to get my feet wet with.

Here are some shots of the trailer loaded with the oak.

j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

htpd43

Hi again

It took me forever to finally get the pictures uploaded on to the site.  But in that time I got the wood offloaded and was able to borrow an alaskan mill from a friend.  I am entirely new to milling, but i do have other woodworking experience -both carpentry and firewood (felling, limbing and bucking). 

Since I have never milled before I was not sure exactly what to expect.  I have been reading and viewing posts on the internet - especiall on forestry forum where milling seems to be big.  I think that the setup that my friend gave me was not right - it took about four hours to cut 3 slabs yesterday.  I know that chainsaw milling is not fast, but i was expecting quicker.  I was pretty discouraged at the end of the day.  I did check a few youtube videos last night and searched for people milling oak.  They seemed to get through it way quicker than I did.  I know that every tree and every type of wood is different as are different saws etc. but the videos led me to believe that my friends gear was not functioning the way it was supposed to.  It could have been as simple as a chain that was too dull - thats my guess anyway.  So I'm not gonna give up!  I think i will be buying my own mill and using my 056 (coincidentally he let me borrow the mill on his 056).  I think I will invest in a narrow kerf bar/chain setup before I tackle it again.
Thanks for checking out my post.  I am sure that I'll get ribbed for overloading the trailer and for the way I milled the oak, but I am open to any suggestions on the milling (I'm going to be getting a heavier trailer- to avoid any more mishaps).
Lou

Milling Pics

ErikC

I'll start with some commendation-that is a real beauty of a first board. Excellent work there. Now about your trucking skills...... ::)

I guess you need a bigger trailer, or less wood :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

htpd43

If you saw what I was towing with I think you'd be impressed - or shocked! I was towing with a chevy short bed 1500.  I have been towing since I've been driving - including being the wrecker (5 ton 6x6 with 18 foot boom and 2 winches) operator for the unit I belonged to  when I was 18. 
This time I was pulling with a slightly smaller truck. ;D I took my time and did not have far to go - I knew I was overloaded but I just HAD to do it.  And I certainly paid the consequences.

stumpy

Well I won't rib ya, but overload is putting it mildly :o  By the way, That sure doesn't look like Red Oak to me ???
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Magicman

Two trips as always better then one overloaded with.  With an overload, you also need to consider your "stopping" power.  Read: Brakes.

Do I hear a sawmill in the future?   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Faron

Looks like it might be pin oak, which is a member of the red oak family.  If it is, it looks like some real nice lumber.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Sprucegum

A sharp chain will improve the fun factor greatly  8)  8)

bandmiller2

One or two of those logs would have been a sensable load on your trailer.Mayby tree guy would deliver for a case of beer,would be cheaper than tires and rims.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

Where are you located?
Apparently you've no fear of the local gendarmes or the state mounties.  :)

And sharp chain is a key to any cutting with a chainsaw.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ARKANSAWYER

Looks like a pin oak or a water oak.  Either will have pretty wood.   Scale a log and count 12lbs for every bdft of log.  So a 24 inch 8' red oak log will weight close to 2,400 lbs and a 18" 8' log will weigh about 1,200.   Any two of them logs would have been a load.  But at least you lived to tell the story and will most likley try it again.  ;D  Me,  I have never done such silly thing as that.  :o

Welcome to the world of sawdust and lumber.
ARKANSAWYER

htpd43

Quote from: beenthere on September 03, 2009, 02:48:14 PM
Where are you located?
Apparently you've no fear of the local gendarmes or the state mounties.  :)

And sharp chain is a key to any cutting with a chainsaw.  :)

I didn't think I did anything illegal.  But I am in NJ the same state that I am a Police Officer in  ;D

Tom Sawyer

Having never milled before, 4 hours for three slabs is not that bad.  You will get faster with practise.  What you really need is a small bandsaw mill - LT15 or something like that.  In the same 4 hours you would have finished cutting and edging all of the logs.

Tom

htpd43

Quote from: stumpy on September 03, 2009, 12:40:02 PM
Well I won't rib ya, but overload is putting it mildly :o  By the way, That sure doesn't look like Red Oak to me ???

the arborist i got it from told me it was red oak.  i wasn't going to insist, but the bark looks like pin oak to me.

htpd43

Quote from: Magicman on September 03, 2009, 01:32:25 PM
Two trips as always better then one overloaded with.  With an overload, you also need to consider your "stopping" power.  Read: Brakes.

Do I hear a sawmill in the future?   8)

i made sure before i touched pavement that the brakes were working properly and could hold the load.  the trailer has 12" drum brakes and was stopping just fine.  i would love to put together a mill or a portable mill.  i am still trying to absorb as much info as i can from you gents, so i think i will wait a while, but i am definitely going to buy one!

htpd43

There is one thing that i neglected to mention in either post.  i am lucky enough to have family in the area and have had my brother pete with me on most of my wood procuring excursions.  i call him my little brother becasue he is 10 years younger than me, but he is 6'4 and about 250.  i just thought that i would mention that i have great help in case anyone was wondering - he was the camera man in the milling pix. 

Oh and the boards that we milled are 1 1/2 inch thick.
Lou

pasbuild

I think you should get that truck in the background going , it would better serve your log hauling needs.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

DRB

Sure looks like pin oak to me, pin oak is a common yard tree becasue it grows fast, straight nad tall. On the minus side it does not prune itself at all.  It amkes really nice looking lumber I like the color and grain structure if it.  It is a red oak thought the wood itself is brown not red.  Them are some pretty nice looking clear logs.  The knotty ones would normally not be sawn into anything but pallet lumber and railroad ties.

htpd43

Quote from: pasbuild on September 03, 2009, 04:02:08 PM
I think you should get that truck in the background going , it would better serve your log hauling needs.

actually it runs and moves.  i just can't justify paying for another vehicle registration or insurance - nj kills its residence on both.  so far my overloading the trailer wasn't too expensive.  the tow truck driver didn't charge me (i tipped him $20 for about 15 minutes work) and i was able to put the good rubber from the damaged rim onto the good rim that had the flat for $10. 
i later realized that the tire that went flat had a tube in it even though it's supposed to be tubeless.  the other side held up fine - that one was tubeless.  insurance and registration for that truck would probably cost me closer to $1,000 a year if not more.  i think for now im going to stick to making more trips.
>:(

beenthere

Quote from: htpd43 on September 03, 2009, 03:20:15 PM

I didn't think I did anything illegal.  But I am in NJ the same state that I am a Police Officer in  ;D

That should help you get out of a jamb.  ;D

No overweight limits as long as you have trailer brakes apparently. Glad you made it as far as you did. Enjoy the wood sawing and the great smell of oak sawdust.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

htpd43

Quote from: beenthere on September 03, 2009, 05:44:28 PM
Quote from: htpd43 on September 03, 2009, 03:20:15 PM

That should help you get out of a jamb.  ;D

No overweight limits as long as you have trailer brakes apparently. Glad you made it as far as you did. Enjoy the wood sawing and the great smell of oak sawdust.  :) :)

thanks,
the fresh saw dust  smells great but i have to say that the end cuts smell like crap.   steve_smiley

pasbuild

Crap isn't always a bad smell, not when it comes with a nice clear Oak board
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

backwoods sawyer

Let's see,
#1 New sawmill
#2 New Trailer
#3 New truck to pull new trailer
As the bug hits the log supply will increase
I'd say don't get rid of that truck any time soon, you may find a need for it. Although not quite as heavy duty as the five ton wrecker that you drove. (I was operator on a five-ton wrecker before graduating to a 578, then an 88, and on to a Hemet wrecker)

I have had people show up with loads like what you had on, with similar stories. One guy showed up about 4 hours after dark with one axel chained up to keep it from dragging (to much) he had no idea where the tire ran off to. They had started the project of moving the logs early in the day. He made to trips to pick up the lumber.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

oldsaw

Quote from: pasbuild on September 03, 2009, 07:54:02 PM
Crap isn't always a bad smell, not when it comes with a nice clear Oak board

I have always found that to be true.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Kelvin

Howdy Lou,
Looks good.  I've milled a bit w/ an alaskan w/ a couple of different saws.  One a husky 395 i think and now i have a stihl 088  both were used off ebay.  A couple of things on the milling, of course if you do a search here you will find a lot of tips on that.  A modified rip chain really makes things smooth out, and a 12v sharpener with the little round stones for the end so you can touch up the chain after every 2-3 bds.  I've just ground my standard chain to a 0 degree angle making a rip chain, though my saw is a tank so it can go through a lot.  I have a 6' bar for slabbing.  Make sure to oil well.  Add a oil can on the tip that will just drip on the bar as you saw.  They sell an oil like that, but its easy to make. 

In a 20" wide oak cut 6' long or so you should be able to finish in 10-15 min, but if you mean 4hrs including setup and monkeying around, that might not be too far off.  i didn't see how you stablized your ladder for the first cut but bolting the plywood plate to the end of the log and leveling is the way to go.  You can make an alaskan a lot more effeciant to use and save a bit of money over a small bandmill.  The one thing i saw that looked good was a guy who set a 4x4 in the ground at the end of the log where he staged his logs to winch the mill through the log so he wasn't having to hold onto the thing.  Just stand there and crank while listening to the engine rpms.

Well, be sure and search around for ideas on milling and have fun.  Also make sure you stack that lumber good and keep out of the sun.  The sun will wreck oak in the blink of an eye!

KP

Thank You Sponsors!