iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

048 av ign problems

Started by taxidermist, June 30, 2008, 10:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxidermist

I have a o48 av that I changed the electric ign in due to hard starts when warm. It had the sem ign in it and now it has the replacement ign installed at 10 thousands gap and the saw starts fine now but it will not peak out and when I adjust the carb it starts to back fire thru the carb. It acts like a v-8 chevy with the dist one tooth off.

Thank you,
Rob

Kevin

The timing can be checked but requires a modified fan housing.
Ignition occurs at .098 in. BTDC.

mike_van

Rob, my 041 got hard to start when warm, a new sparkplug was the cure - Runs like a Swiss watch now  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

taxidermist

I wish mine was as easy as that! I have had this problem with a few saws and partner cut off saws and the new ign did the trick. But on this saw it is a mystry plus their is a new ign for this saw that is not the same as the one that came on it.

Al_Smith

The 048 SEM coil is a self advancing type .Every so often you get one that will not advance and you will never get it to rev up . They start just fine though . Try moving the air gap a tiny bit closer ,see what that does .

Actually one of my 048's has an SEM and the other has a Bosc  .

Al_Smith

I just rechecked the thing .Would you believe they list three different ignitons and three different fly wheels .One  believe it or not is a set of points . Good grief .

taxidermist

Yep Al the sem is no longer avaiable so it is down to 2. Mine had the sem but now they list a different one. Thats what it seems like it will not advance to run at peak performace. I have tried 10thousands and 18thousands air gap and no change

Al_Smith

The way the thing works is by sensing kind of a threshold voltage at a certain speed .

The strength of the magnet,the speed and the air gap are what determine the amount of voltage it makes  and there fore would sense.The only one of those three you can change is the air gap .Try 6 thou if the wheel doesn't have a lot of wobble to it .Worse comes to worse put the old one back on .

Thank You Sponsors!