iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello all!

Started by genedieter, November 28, 2004, 08:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genedieter

I have been reading the posts on this website for a few days now and have finally decided to join. I am currently building a home in PA and am interested in using the timber that I have cleared from the driveway area and building area to construct the home. My father works with a guy that brought his portable sawmill (woodmizer) over to the site to saw some of the Red Oak into floorboards and some of the Poplar into 2x4's 2X6's and 2X12's. I have been learning so much about this industry! I never would have thought that this stuff would be so interesting....but it is! It is like I have been bitten by some wood bug or something! I am sure I will have some questions for all you experts in the future. For now, I'll just sit back and continue to read your posts.....thanks!

GD

chet

Welcome aboard.   :)  This place, like sawdust grows on ya.   ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DanG

Come on in and set on one of these here stumps right here!  :)  So, yer building a house, are ye?  There's several of us in various stages of doin' the same thing. Some of us have our own mill, and some don't. We'd really like to hear about your project and get some do's and don'ts from you. Don't be shy about askin' questions, either. That's how we share knowledge. For every question that's asked, there's several folks that get an answer they've been wondering about, or ain't even thought of the question yet. Lots of times, one of them folks is me! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Welcome to the best forum and the best family of members on the internet!  To bad you missed the Piggy Roast last August. Maybe you can make plans for nest years Piggy Roast. Jeff makes sure no one goes away hungry. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

shopteacher

Well fellow Pennsylvanian, welcome to the forum.  Careful you don't trip over all the knowledge that's laying and thrown around on this site. If you stay around here very long you'll probably grow a pair of board feet (heh, heh, heh) and a broad array of knowledge.  Don't let all the talk about grits scare ya off either, them southern boys just don't know no better.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

MULE_MAN

WELCOME

It won't take much reading and you'll want to be buying your own Mill   ;D   8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

sawguy21

WELCOME
I too really enjoy this forum. You will meet people from all over the world with a wealth of problems and solutions. Hope you have fun here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum.

Once bitten,  it's hard to get the dust out of your system. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Welcome aboard!

You are going to love it here.  Greatest bunch of people I have ever conversed with.  

I am curious about your handle.  There must be a story behind it just waiting to be told.  Don't be shy, tell us a bit about yourself.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

KENROD

Welcome!!!

You must have missed the warning about that bug. I'm sorry to tell ya that it transmitts "sawdust syndrome". Highly contagious and uncurable. :D :D :D

Timber_Framer

Welcome and good luck on the house building.
There's lots of pics and postst about how many of the guys are building their houses or cabins. Check out the Timber Frame & Log building section.
And about the sawdust comments...don't worry soon enough you'll be havin em for breakfast ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

fstedy

WELCOME ABOARD  8) 8) 8) The FF Folks  8) 8) 8)are the best. Pull up a mill and make some sawdust :)  ;D :D
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Paschale

Welcome!   8)  One requirement of being a member:  you gotta like food almost as much as sawdust!   ;) And it's pretty important to establish a position on grits, but you've got some time to weigh the various points and counterpoints, but at some point, you're gonna have to make a stand!   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

shopteacher

I have to agree with Paschale, Grits ain't so bad if'n you stand on them.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Pete J

Welcome to the forum. Just try not to get us confused with people that really know their stuff. We're still trying to figure out if grits are considered a vegetable.

WoodSmith

Welcome to the forum!
You will find alot a goins on here.
I'm fairly new here myself and the best thing to do is, tie up your shoe laces, grab a handful o mouse, tell the Wife you'll be gone a spell and jump on in.
I'm not much for smileys and I don't use them anywhere but here on the Forum, but I have come to liken them as they give you alittle more versatility when it comes to emotions. 8)
You may also develop an accent here. ;D

UNCLEBUCK

Welcome to the Forum ! Hope you show lots of pictures of your projects too !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!