iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Routine pays off

Started by rockwall, February 08, 2017, 07:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockwall

A friend with a Clark 664 just had his 353 Detroit rebuilt for quite a bit of money. The skidder was brought home on a trailer and he drove it about a mile home. As he does every morning, he checked his engine oil level and radiator level. Low and behold his oil level was way up. Luckily he didn't start it, called the mechanic who came over and discovered a dimpled fuel line under the valve cover. They replaced that and saved a fresh motor. I think I will pick up his routine.

David-L

Got that one drilled into my head in the navy. Takes a minute to check and can save the day big. Check those fluids. Good save. I worked in the engine room as a snipe on Destroyers.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BargeMonkey

Our stuff at home gets checked everytime / day. Oil, water and whatever is critical to that machine, can't afford not too. Where I work is a diff story, these guys are mutants, we have "push in all the way or your going to pay" written on the side of 2x 8.3C cummins because checking oil is "suggested". I had a guy start one a few months ago while he was doing an oil change,  :D  might have been a gallon left in the pan. They just don't care. Air filters /fuel filters so plugged the engines stall at 1800rpm. We just installed a new 40kw Isuzu on the barge for them, at best they are doing 4-500 hr oil changes, run it till it dies or the rods come out.  :D
The Detroits are kind of known for "fuel dilution", checking fluids daily is the best way to find it. I have an injector body out of a 710 EMD at home on the shelf which blew a hole in the body and leaked down in the cylinder, the flares will crack on the jumpers 99% of the time. Black light is your best friend for finding fuel leaks. I caught this 671 making fuel/oil this summer. 

reedco

Lots of Detroits (most) have been up graded ? in Wyoming.  Lots still running in the woods in the east and south?
Not many trees

rockwall

BargeMonkey

Quote from: rockwall on February 09, 2017, 08:23:26 AM
Nice photos, barge.
I've got 1 Detroit left myself personally and when it goes away I'm not going to be heartbroken. 😂 we own 2 pits that fall under MSHA which mandates documentation of daily checks, we implemented the same practices company wide. If we have shown a person how to check stuff over and they don't, they are gone, cheaper to replace a person than a machine.

Gearbox

Bargemonkey my friend who owns a recycle yard has a use for all those used up DD . He puts them in a great big tote box to keep the box from blowing away . It works well with 10 or 20 6 71 s in the box not one time has he had a box tip over .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bushmechanic

BargeMonkey this black light you are talking about is it the UV type? I got a friend who has fuel issues after a couple of months the base fills up with fuel. We have changed all the jumper lines and it's still doing it. I figures it must be a cracked injector but wasn't sure how to find it without replacing all of them. So it's no trouble to distinguish the fuel from the engine oil and will it need to be dark outside? Gearbox tell your friend I'd love to have any 353 engines :o

BargeMonkey

Quote from: bushmechanic on February 10, 2017, 04:45:22 AM
BargeMonkey this black light you are talking about is it the UV type? I got a friend who has fuel issues after a couple of months the base fills up with fuel. We have changed all the jumper lines and it's still doing it. I figures it must be a cracked injector but wasn't sure how to find it without replacing all of them. So it's no trouble to distinguish the fuel from the engine oil and will it need to be dark outside? Gearbox tell your friend I'd love to have any 353 engines :o
We had a "kit" which had different dyes which could be added to coolant, fuel, showed up clear as day under the UV light. I've seen it used 1x with success trying to track down an injector with a hole in a body. I don't know where my spare well used N60/65 pile of miss matched injectors are onboard this morning but that's a 645 injector, little easier to find a hole or leak but exactly the same principle. I did 16 injectors and jumpers for cash one night in the Roundout Creek in NY, they popped the back crankcase doors and the fuel/oil ran out and the guy says "I think we have a problem". I want to say the dye kits are well under 100.00. I feel kind of cheated I've never had a base explosion yet. 😂

Couple pictures so you can compare scale. The principles are the same, fuel leaks are the same.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Gearbox on February 09, 2017, 07:22:40 PM
Bargemonkey my friend who owns a recycle yard has a use for all those used up DD . He puts them in a great big tote box to keep the box from blowing away . It works well with 10 or 20 6 71 s in the box not one time has he had a box tip over .
My 2nd expensive divorce, and the fact I don't run a forwarder much is the only reason that screaming, dripping thing isn't on a trailer somewhere for a valmet 6wheeler and mine is as clean and straight as they come. I recently tried to use it for a job, guy realized it was a Detroit and said NO because of noise limits on the job and proximity to water, they considered my 1999 Timbco "OLD" so a Detroit was out of the question.  I'm a huge 2 stroke fan but the sun is setting quick on them around here. That 240E sat for sale on a job I was trucking to the other day, the kid needed money and I could have bought it cheap, washed it / cleaned it up, run it on a job and flipped it to someone who doesn't know any better for double my money. 😂 I kept telling myself to get back in the truck and walk away, no more detroits, 😂

Puffergas

I'm starting a nursing home for old retired Detroit's. So send them over my way because there are a few empty room left.... 😉
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!