iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got Something Cooking

Started by Radar67, January 26, 2007, 12:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I've got a Red Oak log that's been cooking for about 18 months...I think it should be ready.

I'll cut it in a week or so. I'll be sure to get some pictures of the boards.  :)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

farmerdoug

I thought that you were having a winter pig roast. ::)

That log looks like a present waiting to be opened. 8)  Looking forward to the pics.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

ely

those slabs should make for some interesting "TEXTURE" if you put it in the den or living room. ;D

Riles

Actually, I like my mushrooms cooked in butter....
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Radar67

Riles, I'll send them shrooms your way.  :D

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Snag

Cooking?  I'm guessin' you have had them in somethin' smelly for spalting?  Cant wait to see the pics.   :)  What was your process for cooking?

Radar67

My process for cooking is very simple...I placed this log on RR timbers in the shade and let it sit. Didn't add nothing to it, just let Mother Nature do her job.  ;)

Stew

Radar67

Looks like my next week took about 4 months.  :D :D and I still haven't cut the log pictured. I did get into my log pile today and do a little cutting. I had another red oak similar to the one pictured that I opened up. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I did get some good boards for future doors in my house, enough for 2 frames. Here are a few of the pictures...

My opening cut

Some of the grain

More Grain

Still more, you can see a little spalting in the lower board

2 door frames in rough form.

I plan to cut the other log tomorrow, more pictures to come.

Stew

Don K

Those are some good looking boards Stew. Looks like you had your daily dose of fiber. I'm going to hit that pile of pine again tomorrow. Need to turn out another batch of those 1X12's for Earls barn. I'll take you to see that project Fri.

Don

I'll PM you some final directions tomorrow.   I guess I should say today as it is today right now. :D :D :D :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

Yeah, I guess you could say I got my dose of fiber...I'm still blowing it out my nose.  ;) I also cut the three smaller logs, 2 hickories and an oak. I just about let the smaller ones go too long.  On the directions, just let me know where I need to turn off 84 at then on from there.

Stew

Radar67

Here are the pictures of the second log. It was not what I expected either, but was a little better.

Opening Cut

Close Up of opening cut

Small bit of fleck I found

Overview of the main boards cut

Another view of more fleck

Stew

WDH

Very good looking stuff, Terry.  Those should be some fine doors ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!