iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please ID this Wood - SE Michigan #3

Started by bajafx4, September 29, 2013, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajafx4

One last ID request.  This is the heaviest wood of the three ID's I've requested and it had a very noticeable odor when cutting/splitting.

Thanks,
Baja

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

baja
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
A lot of wood id questions, and what would help a lot would be for you to make an end cut on a piece in question using a good sharp blade on a table saw (or similar).
Then either scan that piece or take a good camera picture of it in focus.

But us tossing guesses out may work for you too  ;D

Here is a piece of red oak I just cut on my radial arm saw and scanned on my scanner.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bajafx4

beenthere - Thank you for the suggestion.  I know my posts weren't the most scientific, but from the responses I've received in 2 of my 3 threads, I was able to do some searching myself and figure out what I had.  Without the suggestions/help of the members here, I wouldn't have known where to start.

The wood I requested ID for in this thread is definitely Sassafras.  I'm still wondering about my second thread (ID #2), but I'm thinking that one is Red Elm.

Thanks,
Baja

mesquite buckeye

Not to speak for beenthere, but I think the point is to get knowledge out to all the readers, so posting good images for these ID things makes the post valuable to anyone reading the post for years into the future, and not just for the person making the request. Just a thought. The best threads will stand the test of time. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Draco

Axe Handle Hound

I'm late to this discussion, but I would have said that the wood in the pictures in this thread is honey locust just judging by the bark, grain pattern, and the fact that the OP mentioned it had a strong odor.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I just threw that out there after looking at the grain, sass reminds me of ash. Not sure of sass bark. Honeylocust has ash like grain to. In the wood ID keys, it goes from sass, ash, to honeylocust. They are all close. When odor was mentioned I went with sass. Honeylocust has no distinctive odor according to the keys.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

This is out of my album a pic of Sassafras Tree Bark,

Wood is nice with a root beer smell only better smell to it.   some of it can be light colored but the wood it's self is light weight compared to other Oak/Elm type woods.  Burns well but does not last long but has nice aroma burning better than most woods.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!