iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fans on syp question

Started by btulloh, July 01, 2018, 09:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

I'm going to put a load of fresh sawn syp in the solar kiln in the morning and run the fans on it for a few days with the doors open. Should fans run 24 hrs a day or daytime only?  I also have the ability to schedule the fans for intermittent operation on any schedule I want.  Any input is welcome.  Thanks.

To clarify my question: if you're running fans on a stack of syp in your drying shed, do you run them 24 hours a day?
HM126

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is best to run the fans when the RH is under 90% RH...maybe even 85%RH as the Wood gets drier.  The humidity outside at night and also in the kiln at night will come close to  100% RH, so running the fans at night does not help drying.  Maybe you will turn fans on around 8AM and off about 9 PM in the summer.

Your approach of using the kiln as a fan dryer the first few days is great.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

Although drying is reduced at night, as relative humidities go high, yes I run my fans on drying stacks 24/7 for pine.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

btulloh

Good info.  Thanks.

Trying to avoid the green mold.  High temps and rh for then next few days.  Or weeks.  Or months.
HM126

WDH

Like Yellowhammer, I run my air drying fans 24/7 as well.  It is easier for me to just let them run.  Right now I have fans on maple, pine, and pecan.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

Loaded up with a short load.  Started picking up just a little mold overnight (before it went into the kiln), plus this was from logs that I let sit around a little too long.  

What you see on the edge is some blue stain from letting the logs sit before I sawed them.
HM126

WDH

Very well prepared load.

You do quality work, Sir.....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lawg Dawg

Intrested to know how this load turned out for you! :P
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

btulloh

It turned out ok.  I went a little too low on the mc when I ran the temp up at the end to sterilize, but still ok.

The rest of the tale went into this other thread:

SYP kiln drying dilemma - (question for the experts) in Drying and Processing

HM126

btulloh

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!