iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coal vs wood in an Outdoor boiler.

Started by Bert, March 28, 2015, 07:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Looking for answers on the firewood and wood heating forum :D. Im due for a new outdoor furnace. I have a 15 year old model. I live in PA where EPA regs have taken over. All you can get is "coal" models. Read between the lines. That being said the dealers I have talked to say stick with coal. They say wood eats out a firebox worse than coal? Any truth to that? I have easy access to both so no problem either way.  Actually coal would be easier as I don't have to cut and split it. I always burnt wood as I figured it was easier on the firebox. They say its the opposite. So is coal superior to wood in an outdoor unit? I know the btus are better but what about furnace life?
Saw you tomorrow!

Dave Shepard

Can you get a stoker? I'm picturing a huge bin of coal and you only have to go out and shake the grates once a day. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pabst79

Benefits of coal are higher btu per pound and a longer, and more even burn time. It is messy but takes up less space then wood. With coal you can also get an automated feed system, which would be handy, as far as life of the heating unit, I would say burning coal would be easier on the firebox, then burning high moisture content wood, which people like to do with outdoor furnaces/boilers. I would compare the warranty from different brands and see which suits you best.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Dave Shepard

Coal smoke is also an acquired smell. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

I was told you can burn wood(is this what read between the lines meant ) in a coal stove any truth to that  ;D    a friend of mine has a coal stove (owb) and said wood was cheaper to burn but more work by the time he went to PA and got the coal

Bert

QuoteI was told you can burn wood(is this what read between the lines meant ) in a coal stove any truth to that
Exactly... put a coal only decal on the furnace and it meets local regs. Nothing really changed about the furnace itself
Saw you tomorrow!

Thank You Sponsors!