iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Segmented vase

Started by JV, August 22, 2018, 11:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

I made a vase from scrap silver maple and cherry about a year and a half ago with a Ringmaster lathe I have had for sometime.  Recently, I decided to blow the dust off and try a different one.  I planed some osage orange to near thickness but had to finish by sanding because of the tear out.  This osage is probably 10 years old and hard.  I cut some rings from the osage, cherry, and ERC.  After the glue up, I mounted it on a drive spur on the old treadle lathe.  I had to sand it down because of the chipping.  This satisfies my urge to do osage for a while.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Larry

Quote from: JV on August 22, 2018, 11:01:26 AM
After the glue up, I mounted it on a drive spur on the old treadle lathe.
That's one way to get your exercise.  I ride a stationery bike 40 minutes a day, I need to trade it in on a treadle lathe. :)

Nice looking vase and I like the contrasting wood.  Its going to look a lot different in a few years.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

JV

I have had that old lathe for quite a few years.  I did some demonstrations with it several years ago.  My arthritis doesn't like it sometimes but I enjoy using it.  The flywheel is cast iron with a wooden rim shrunk on it.  Fellow collectors and I estimate it to be from around the 1880's.  The headstock has a 2 step pulley and with a brisk pumping, I figure 600 rpm on one and 900 rpm on the other.  I have learned to switch feet on the go without tripping myself.

The osage will definitely darken in time.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!