iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

break through question

Started by Daver, January 31, 2009, 02:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daver

I am soon to open the wall to the existing house. From an addition hallway, the posts in the wall are a little over 30" apart. Would I be able to make a 30" opening, would that be sufficient? Instead of a 36" opening?  If I don't have to disturb the existing beam work too much I think it would be better but I am not too sure about this. Any ideas? You can see the work I am doing on my photo album..
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Raphael

I see no reason why your door frame and jacks can't be the same piece of lumber.
The question is will you be comfortable with a ~27" wide door opening and is their a local building code requirement you must satisfy?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Daver

Thanks Raphael, You know you are right. Although looking at the wall it will be a real job but I am up to the task. It will be the right thing to do. I did all the rest right might as well do this part right as well. I might need more wood though. The original part of the house is 200 yrs old and it is in bad shape. That's why it will take some doctoring..  Thanks for responding.

Dave

moonhill

Is there a reason you wouldn't take out a post/stud and end up with a 60" opening?  This would allow plenty of room for a nice size door and trim.  What is the size of the post? 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

zopi

That and moving furniture through might get to be an issue.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Daver

Quote from: moonhill on February 02, 2009, 07:20:11 AM
Is there a reason you wouldn't take out a post/stud and end up with a 60" opening?  This would allow plenty of room for a nice size door and trim.  What is the size of the post? 

Tim

Hi Tim, Well I was hoping to put in a door this will give the family privacy in the addition because the bedroom is a loft so a door is needed. But now you got me thinking... Thanks!  The beams are like 5"x10" old beams..

Dave

Daver

Quote from: zopi on February 02, 2009, 07:38:04 AM
That and moving furniture through might get to be an issue.

Yes Zopi, very good point. See that's why it's good to ask sometimes we overlook the obvious..

Thanks, Dave

Thank You Sponsors!